Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi, I am one for going inland to see Bulgaria as it is and in June I am going to try the following. Catch 9.00am Mini bus to Varna approx 30klms for 4 lev walk to train station. Catch 11.02 diesel to Dobrich arrive 13.07, 17 stations in all ,93 klms for the sum of 3.5 lev single. Walk down from Dobrich station through town(Some eats and shopping) to bus station and catch mini bus back to Albena approx 40klms for 4 lev. A day out some 160 klms for 11.5 lev, just over £4. Cheers Tonyt
Hi Tony,

Don't shop Dobrich out in June, I need to buy some stuff for the house there in July........ :wink:

I think you'll find that the minibus fares may have gone up slightly, due to fuel price increases, e.g. Evksinograd-Varna Centrum had increased from 60 Stotinki last July to 80 Stotinki in September and again to 1 Lev in February.

Have a great time,

Baldur
Hi - my post from last year gives my opinion of some of the trips, both in my initial post and further down the thread when I was answering questions.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=396041&highlight=#396041
Post removed. You have already been asked on both previous posts not to advertise your website.
Fiona ht mod
:D Hi,
Like most of the others that have posted we tend to organise our own trips as opposed to booking them with the tour op. Last year whilst we were staying in Albena we took a train from Varna to Gorna Oriahovitsa (3 + hour journey) and then a short taxi drive from there to the beautiful city of Veliko Tarnovo, we stayed there for 3 nights in a fantastic little hotel perched on the cliff face overlooking the river Yantra, it was absolutely magical!! I would definitely recommend a visit to Veliko Tarnovo, it is the ancient capital of Bulgaria and is built on 3 hills and is just steeped in history with breathtaking views in all directions and fantastic shops and even better it is all Bulgarian prices as opposed to resort prices ie large Brandy =7p!! :lol: Many of the local ground operators offer trips there from Golden Sands (and most likely Sunny Beach too) and they were very resonable however most were just day trips or overnighters and we fancied spending a few days there so we organised it ourselves and to be honest that added more to the enjoyment!! :wink:
We fly back out to Varna this Sunday and have decided that we are going to do a bit of lake fishing this time so will be travelling up to a little place called Oreshak (near Troyan Monastery)and staying at a family guest house there while we indulge our passion for Carp and Pike etc!! :wink:
Oooh can't wait!! :oops:
Hi all

Am off to bulgaria next Friday.. I have heard good things about the Jeep Safari.. My children are 10 & 12 would they be safe on it and would you advise them going?

Thank you
Hi SerendipityJo,

You are going to Elenite, I believe?

See the post by R2DaG in THIS THREAD - there are, apparently, 6 or 7 different 'Jeep Safaris' available at Sunny Beach with different itineraries/entertainments, so any advice may be dependant on which one you intend taking.

Baldur
Hiya..

Yes we are going to Elenite.. :) First time to Bulgaria.. So been trying to get as much info as i can really..

I have read that the jeep safari was great fun, and we would like to to it, but worried it may be abit too much for children. Didn't realise there was more than one.. :?
Hi,

We are thinking of going to nessbur as heard it mentioned a few times, just a couple of queries how much are the boat journeys there? are they regular? is it best to arrange it though to tour op?

thanks in advance

Ewa :D
Hi Ewa,

The boats from Sunny Beach to Nessebar are regular - virtually 'water taxis'.

I think it cost around 7or 8 Leva per person each way a couple of years ago - you should hear loudspeaker announcements about when the next boat leaves , I think that the nearest departure point to your hotel was by the Hotel Bourgas Beach. Just pay on the boat.

Going by boat & returning by bus is an option - the bus fare is tiny, a few Stotinki when I was last there.

Baldur
Hi Ewa. Don't bother to book an organised trip for Nessebur. It really isn't worth it. I booked one last year because it included a guided tour and it wasn't very expensive but the guided tour really wasn't up to much. Took all of 20 minutes and told me nothing that a guide book couldn't.
Hi - I think kids would love the jeep safari. I've done several jeep safaris over the years and have not seen any children on them to see how they got on - perhaps someone else will come along with more experience of this. The only thing I would say is that when you go off road, you do need to hang on (I was for dear life!) and be able to reach the bar that makes up the jeep roof. Holding onto the side is difficult because you really need to keep your arms inside. I'm five foot nothing and could manage this just comfortably, though by the end of the day my arms felt like they were coming out the sockets. So I think it depends on a how tall and tough your kids are. Also, whether they don't mind rough and tumble and the odd scare (I spend half my time screaming my head off). Might be better if they were sitting behind the driver because I think there was another bar to hold onto there which isn't so high and there is less chancing of them bouncing out. Perhaps speak to your rep about it when you get there. They might have a height/age restriction. Personally, I would always book this trip through my rep, just so I know I am covered by their insurance. It's not dangerous as such, but there is a potential for injury (I pulled a muscle in my neck on one in Malta) and most travel insurance policies have clauses to wheedle themselves out of paying out. When I booked through Balkan last year, I had to sign a piece of paper to say I had read safety instructions, so one would assume injuries happen.
Should also add that last year Balkan offered two Safaris from Sunny Beach. One was just a jeep safari and the other was one where you did quad bikes etc. I went on the ordinary one, not the one with quad bikes.
When we did the jeep safari (out of Albena) our daughter was then 9, and she loved every minute of it. There were quite a few kids along, of varying ages, some much younger than yours, so I would say go for it.
going to sunny beach in july,does anybody know how much the jeep safari costs and are they worth going on.
Hi Alison,

Click the 'THIS THREAD' link in my post above and you will find prices quoted (last year's prices).

Baldur
Hi Alison we were in sunny beach last year and went on monster truck trip with first choice we were picked up by coach and then taken to some high trucks ( you need a ladder to get on) you are then taken off road at some speed you go through about three villages (take some sweets to throw to the kids who come running out to meet you) You are then taken up to a restaurant for a nice meal (kebabs and salad) plus 1 or 2 free drinks. there is also a fishing lake with everything provided (the fish practically jump out the water) or you can just sit and soak up the sun all in all a very enjoyable trip can't remember how much but reasonably priced
Any idea how much for the boat trip from the tropicana for two adults plus one 15 yr old thanks
Hi - I have just found this list from last year - think I PMd it to someone. ***EDIT - sorry these were prices that someone PM'd to me for trips out of Golden Sands***

Picturesque Bulgaria = Adult 96 Lev / Child 48 Lev
Country & People = Adult 93 Lev / Child 47 Lev
Varna - Dolphin Show = Adult 48 Lev / Child 34 Lev
Danube Romance = Adult 93 Lev / Child 47 Lev
Nessebur with Lunch = Adult 66 Lev / Child 33 Lev
Balchik & Cape Kaliakra = Adult 48 Lev / Child 24 Lev
Jeep Safari = Adult 93 Lev / Child 47 Lev
Monasteries (2 days) = Adult 204 Lev / Child 102 Lev
Romania = Adult 110 Lev / Child 55 Lev
Balkan Fiesta = Adult 52 Lev / Child 31 Lev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.