Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Do I have a valid refund claim in the County Court ?

How are you going to prove it was not overweight, then there's question of the judicial jurisdiction of a presumably English Country Court is relation to an event in Luxor, and would it all be worth it anyway to recover £37-50p?

Peter
How could they say it was 5kg over if the scales said 10kg? There's something odd here...
The Thomson small print clearly states that the carry on allownce is 10Kg. The scales showed the weight to be 10Kg. The receipt for the £37.50p states 5Kg excess charge @ £7.50 per kilo. The check-in saff (3) all insisted that the allowance for a carry on bag was only 5Kg. Had the weight been more than 10Kg they would have made me check the bag in at a different rate because no pre-booked excess baggage had been paid when I made the booking.

The answer is that the Luxor staff did not understand the rule for passengers travelling with only a carry on bag ona flight only ticket.

I have now taken out an action gainst Thomson Airways in the County Court. I have been a regular customer wth them since 1967. I don't see why I should be fobbed off by an uncaring, ill educated Thomson Public relations person. Like accountants she knows the price of everything (except Thomson Baggage Allowances) and the value of nothing.

If the judgement were to go against me then their loss will be my twice yearly bookings for the next 20 years !!!
http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html

According to the above the OP was correct. However, I don't understand why you didn't just check the bag in as hold luggage, and save whatever money you could?
http://flights.thomson.co.uk/en/flywithus_2753.html
this is the flight only baggage policy which also clearly shows 10kg. If the bag was checked there would have been an additional charge. Does your receipt clearly show what your baggage weighed? If it does that I don't see how they can win. Seems strange to me that would deny their own baggage policy. Good on you- have to say if it were me, I couldn't be bothered with going to court. But then you might just stop someone else going through the same.
Unless, of course your hand luggage was not of the correct size?
I fly 6 times a year scheduled and charter and my bag with wheels is a standard size. It was not oversize. If it was the staff would have insisted that it was checked as hold baggage. Once I had paid the fee I was allowed to take it on board.

All of my comments concerning weight have been checked against their published flight only rules as of January 2009.
The rules for those passengers booked on a Thomson Package Holiday are slightly different. One f the new rules this year is that an infant is now entitled to a baggage allowance of 10Kg !!!

I am closing this subject now because the matter is now with the County Court. I will advise the outcome in due course. Thankyou for your interest.
Doesn't it usually tell you your luggage allowance on your flight tickets it would certainly have saved confusion in this instance.
And Finally:

Flight tickets only tell you your checked baggage allowance. My ticket merely stated that no checked baggage had been paid for. The new Thomson style tickets do not have a passenger copy as they used to when airlines treated every passenger as a V.I.P It never tells you your hand luggage weight on the flight coupons. I have flown over 500 times and believe me I know the system even under present security rules.

There was no confusion so far as I was concerned. The Egyptian Company failed to comprehend how to handle a pasenger with just a carry on bag. As Thomson and First Choice have merged they stated in their December in-flight magazine that they would maintain the most favourable carry-on baggage allowances for the rest of the winter season. As the First Choice allowance is 10Kg the new company re-named Thomson Airways has kept this allowance as standard for all passengers.

Has anyone got a copy of the Thomson Airways In-Flight Brochure ( not the duty free sales ) please ?

This ends this discussion. No more replies please. It is now sub-judice.
I know there was a request for no more replies but this whole topic seems to be a rather strange one for a travel agent to be starting. Also if there has only been one letter written the judge might take a dim view of the fact that there was not more effort made to resolve the issue before resorting to the court system (if it actually gets as far as court).

I have to agree with the sentiment that Thomsons' customer service leaves a lot to be desired (having an imminent court case with them myself going back to a holiday last March).

If it was a Thomson flight it would have a 10kg hand baggage allowance. If it was a First Choice flight on a re-branded Thomson plane the allowance would be 5kg as it always has been.

Sorry no copy of in-flight brochure.
Sunaddict I see where you are coming from : -

If you booked with First Choice your allowance is 5kg
If you booked with Thompson your allowance is 10kg

Makes no differance that it was Thomsonairway flight Its who you booked with that counts.

Thank god from 1st May both companies will have the same terms. (We shall see).
Snowyboy
Unfortunately even from May the hand luggage allowances still differ. FC bookings still on 5kgs but the size of bag you can take is bigger. Thomson up to a max of 10kg. Why can't tour ops make thing easy :(
Sorry you are wrong look here

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html

Thomson from 1 May is max 5kg Star Class max 7kg Premier
"This ends this discussion. No more replies please."

I'm not sure you understand how these forum things work... ;)
Some of the check in staff at Egyptian airports have their own rules,regardless of the travel companies rules.
A riot nearly broke out at Sharm airport when the man in front of me was charged £60 excess for his divers allowance. :que
"This ends this discussion. No more replies please."

Hmmm, I thought this was an open forum.......

Here in Cyprus the check in staff do whatever they want and for some reason get away with it. :que
Why did the poster bother if they dont want the problem debated.
The problem has been debated. It is now with the County Court system. They have accepted the case and it has been issued for a reponse from the defendants. They have 2 weeks to respond or accept their guilt. That is why we have closed the debate because it is now sub judice.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.