Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
I am delighted to say that having contacted

Ayuntamiento de Adeje
Area de Politica Turistica
Sanidad y Consumo, Relationes (OMIC)
C/Grande, No 1
38670 Adeje
Sta
Cruz de Tenerife

that my grandparents have received a substantial refund from the shop thanks to the efforts of Maria Jose Rodriguez who contacted them by email and telephone. She was most helpful in liaising with the manager of the shop and ensuring that he made the bank transfer.
Is that office in the village of Adeje itself?

I have had a complaint about a pharmacy in Las Americas but did not know where to make a complaint,

Regards,

Billyboy.
beware when passing electronics shops along the sea front of los christianos, playa de las anmericas,fanabee,torvisacs,costa adeje.
when passing a camera shop at the south end of torviscas beach a man will offer to get you a discount, when he goes inside and comes out with a piece of paper(your discount) and a mini camcorder.he offers you the camcorder for 25 euros.only 18 euros with your discount.so you go in the shop to pay.
after you have paid and sold you a disc for another 12 euros and while they are "printing off" your instructions they tell you the camcorder is not that good. ie.no hard disc drive and an inferior picture to the "more expensive" camcorder which he produces.
he tells you the more expesive one is 400euros but eventually comes down to 125 euros,at this point i cracked and purchased the more expensive one.when you get back to your hotel and have a more closer inspection you can tell the quality is not that good and this one is not a brand name you will be familiar with.
worse than that 2 days later i saw the same model for 60 euros in a shop one mile from the sea front at torviscas,i went back to the shop to complain he basically said tough thats the price you paid.

dont end up feeling ripped off and a fool like i do...
Long thread with similar info HERE :wink:
  • Edited by David 2009-08-05 19:54:58
    Today's posts now merged with existing topic.
this is why these shops are still open. sorry but these shops have been operating these sorts of sales for years and years now. untill people walk stright passed them, they will remain open to the more gullable tourist who may feel threatend by the shop keepers once your inside his/her domain. sorry to hear of your bad luck. but please people do not even look in the windows of these sort of shops. you should know them by the items in the shop windows none of the goods will have a single price tag. and even if they do the shop keeper will deter you from that item to a dearer and naff item. go to argos instead lot more cheaper :tup
Your right little legs, its cheaper to buy cameras, camcorders, watches etc in the uk, especially online.
Do not buy from these people, as the goods you buy are usually rubbish and come with no guarantee. They play on your manners by trying to stop and talk to you outside and can be intimidating once you are in the shop.
If you really want to get rid of your hard earned cash you could give it to me, at least you won't have to listen to the bull they talk and you won't be intimidated either. :tup

Hopefully the message will get across if we say it often enough :roll:
There are also reputable sellers as well. I purchased a Omega Watch many years ago from a official outlet and saved a few hundred pound. Theres also a nice electrical shop in the complex opposite the Med Palace, the Safari centre.

So not everywhere is a s cam
yes sorry i should not tar every shop with the same brush. there is very few and far between electrical shops that do sell genuine items. And do not use the unsavory sales tactics as the others do. But still take it into account if it goes wrong once you get home. your left with a lump of plastic that you might aswell give the kids to play with. this is just not directed at Tenerife. its nearly every holiday location.

If it sound to good to be true. leave well alone. you get nothing cheap and free these days, without paying for it later at a greater cost. :tup
Personally I would not buy any electrical goods from abroad at the moment especially in the current climate as things such as cameras are as cheap if not cheaper in the uk and you can return if there any problems with any product. Dad bought a camera from visanta and found the same one cheaper in comet back home. Mum bought sunglasses from Visanta and small problem with them but would not even talk over the problem. Moral is buy in UK you can always go back and resolve the problem.Guarantees go a lot further here.
PS always pay by credit card for further back up
i know very resently some shops are trying to pawn of camera SD cards ect... saying that there infered and will take better pictures in the dark. this is there last resort of sales pitch if they see you with a better camera than they can sell you. beware the memory cards are the same as you buy over here but at a lot higher cost. there is no such thing as a infered memory card. do not take in any thing they say. i would belive gordon Brown first. :rofl :rofl
Just returned from Las Americas, we were approached by a guy outside a shop on the beach front near Palm Beach resort trying to sell me a Sony camcorder, looked at it, it seemed ok, said it would come with charger, tv adapters, batteries manual etc. wanted 35 euros for it then knocked it down to 28 euros, seemed a bargain, said ok I will buy it if he showed me all the things on the counter that were included I got my money out. He refused and said the money had to be handed over before he would show me. At this point I said I wouldn't bother and walked out! Obviously a different camera was going to be sold. Always check what you are getting before you hand over money.
sorry to say this but TRUST NO ONE....I DO HATE SAYING THIS :( :( sad but true :( :(
It seems the article in the Times travel supplement on Sunday 30th are in agreement with some posters.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article6814137.ece

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.