Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15615&highlight=

open this post....we have been banging on about this for years.
I personally wouldn't hand over a penny (cent) until I had the goods in my grubby little fingers!
We had a similar experience last April. We bought a digital camera from a shop in Los Cristianos (Paradise Electricals I think it was called). The camera they sold us was not of the same quality as they had informed us (we found this out when we got some photos developed). We went back to the shop the next day and asked for a refund but instead they came out with a load of banter and exchanged it for a different camera, telling us it was more expensive but we could have it for the same price as the one we had originally bought.

Yes, the camera was fine, but actually no cheaper than in the UK but when we looked around at other shops in Los Cristianos we could have got it a lot cheaper. There are some good bargains on digital cameras etc out there, just make sure you shop around. :o
You will see I have my own views on this from the previous post...What I would like to add to what I have already said is that the chain electrical store Visanta are fine to deal with in Tenerife...I only found this out from this Forum!...On visiting Tenerife in Dec I bought a digital camera from them on the second day...There was no pressure to buy..I decided the next day that it was not the camera I wanted and they exchanged it for another one with no problems...I would add though that the price was very similar to the UK
I have used Visanta also ,very good service.
I didn't realise anyone had been banging on about this for years. I honestly had no idea that anyone else had problems with buying electrical goods in Tenerife. I was only reading the threads to do with our hotel and none of these connected to this subject , so how are you to know, unless someone tells you. Thats why I decided to mention it in case someone else fails to notice previous threads. :o
Hi, I've been resident here in Tenerife for 13 years, and would never buy anything from these shops, apart from "Visanta" which does not rip off tourists or residents, No heavy handed sales, the goods you want are the goods you get, prices are in line too.
I woukld second that along with Maya (Spanish not Asian) and Infinity.
Yep! we have also been ripped off! by these so called 'duty free' shops. Be very careful people!
Every shop in the Canaries is duty free. Its a duty free group of islands. Thats why your restricted to limits.
we have been going to Tenerife for the past twenty years on a regular basis. we have bought cam corders, digital cameras, mp3 players. i pods and most recently at christmas a psp. we have never had any problems with these shops or the items we have bought. If you go into these shops without a clue then I am sure they will pick up on that and perhaps end up selling you something that you didn't even go in there for, whereas if you go in there and tell them exactly what you want and know what you are talking about you should not have any problems.
It makes no difference. My husband knew exactly what he wanted and knows what he is talking about when it comes to digital cameras. The bit he didn't expect was being intimidated by 4 other shopkeepers and ending up being attacked . I think it was more a case of them seizing an opportunity to rip off a lone tourist when there were no witness' in the shop or nearby. So many other people have reported similar situations.
There is no such thing as a free lunch... or a Mini DV digital cam corder for £50 :wink:
Walk into such rip-offshops with at least 4 or 5 (huge) friends.
Maybe then you get what you want..... :oops:
He actually paid about 180 euros so he wasn't expecting something for nothing, but thanks for the sympathy . How I love Tenerife..................... :cry:
cr2k6 :D
Welcome to the Tenerife forum.
I`m sorry that you have had a bad experience with these shopkeepers, who have absolutely no scruples whatsoever.... :evil:
I`m afraid I`ve been there and got the T-shirt, and I personally wouldn`t buy anything electrical in Tenerife as a TOURIST.
Whether your husband was well education in the specs of the product or not is irrelevant....shopkeepers are suppose to advise you and let you make your own mind up as a consumer, but alas, the thieving, money grabbing, cOn :swear that operate in Tenerife, are another of the pests that I would wish to eradicate from the Island.
My son knew everything about what he wanted, he is no dumb lad, he built this machine that I sit behind, and even he was ripped off....see the sticky post at the top about the consumer office.

It is ironic that this subject should be being discussed, because I received a letter from Santa Cruz from the trading standards office last Saturday morning about an incident that happen on 20/10/04...yes the date is correct.
How I ever got to receive the letter, must be down to the work of the royal mail.
I shall be posting about this later.

The only sympathy I can extend to you is.....you are not the first, you won`t be the last...and more importantly, we all learn by our mistakes and if we go back for a second helping, then we only have ourselves to blame.

Your original post was one made in trying to help people...it`s a pity some people couldn`t have been a bit more understanding. :roll: :evil:
Not everyone is a seasoned traveller, not everyone is a resident of Tenerife and unfortunately these are the people these scumbags pry on. :evil:

I hope you had a lovely holiday despite this marring your memories.

besos xxx
Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-01-23 18:16:31
over the years, I and other expats and regular tourists have posted copious amounts of advice on how to avoid being ripped off. Whats sad about it is when victims tar the whole of Tenerife with this primarily small section of unscrupulous outlets.

Basic rules to keep you right...

1) Avoid ANY shop that has expensive goods in the window / outside stand with ridiculously cheap prices on. It's a clear sign of their intent to rip you off!

2) DO read up and research BEFORE going to Tenerife. Closing stable doors after the horses etc etc. We post the advice on here to help you.

3)DO NOT enter a shop where there are staff members outside verbally tempting you in with "Deegeetaal Camera Sir" statements and the like. the good shops DO NOT do this.

4) ALWAYS Ask about money back guarantees. The best shops (Visanta for example) will give a 7 day no quibble money back guarantee. Yes there are good shops, we all state them here on this and other forums. Ask us before you come here. we will even give directions!

5) Remember if it looks too good to be true... IT BL00DY WELL IS!

6) ALWAYS think about it. NEVER buy on your first shop visit. If they are not a rip off shop they will let you walk out of the shop without pestering you to make that purchase.
Well thanks very much for the reply Sanji. I agree with you totally and as a matter fo fact we are seasoned travellers and my hubby works abroad a lot ( South Africa etc ) but has never had a problem before.
I thought by posting a thread on this site I was helping to warn others. At the end of the day if we ever return to Tenerife (I doubt if we will) he wouldn't do the same thing again obviously.
It is important to keep warning people even if its a few times a year about such things because unless you know about this website or have had a bad experience yourself you wouldn't expect it to happen in a shop in Europe as the shop looked perfectly normal etc, etc.
Other than that the holiday & weather was lovely.
I thought by posting a thread on this site I was helping to warn others. At the end of the day if we ever return to Tenerife (I doubt if we will) he wouldn't do the same thing again obviously

...but you state that your husband "haggled to get a camera for €180" Yet you contradict your self later by stating "he was willing to pay the going prices" Were these "going prices" the ones in the rip off shop windows? were they what the "Asian" shop keepers told hubby?

Not one of the reputable shops in Tenerife (or the rest of Spain for that matter) haggle!could it possibly be that you (or hubby) went in blind to the facts.

With regard to South Africa. My company's head office is there and believe me there is no comparison between shopping here and there. In Tenerife you don't take your life in your hands whilst shopping!! Lets keep things in perspective.

As long as people come here with the fantasy that they can grab an unbelievable bargain there will be those who are willing to capitalise on there vulnerability.

I'm sorry you feel this one incident has prompted you to say you "doubt you will come back to Tenerife". Tenerife has so much to offer. Your loss.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.