Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Hey Makum
In fairness I think that you are being a bit hard on the folks here.They did say that they were intimidated in the shop and this is not the first time (or the second either) that I have about this situation.You live here as I do also and if this happened to you or me,we would have no problem in contacting the relevant authorities to get this sorted.We could probably stand up to the four or five of them(shopkeepers that is) on our own and threaten them with the police and watch them back down.When you are in a foreign country and dont know the situation it can be very scary.
I agree that there is no such thing as a free lunch but I only found that out after being burnt myself.
A bit of sympathy is not out of order here. :)
Agreed, but when people then tar the whole island as a bad place because of this scourge I feel little sympathy. We have all at one time or another been ripped off, weather it be here, the UK or elsewhere, but it shouldn't put you off the whole Island!

I think that coming on forums after the event saying "i doubt i will be back" is a little unproductive. By all means warn people of your story but many times I have witnessed posts that basically say "I've been ripped off, the place is a bad place, i wont be coming back, let this be a warning to others" .

If people took the time to visit this forum and do a bit of research before going they would be armed with the necessary info to prevent these unfortunate events.

So yes I sympathise with anyone who falls foul of this unfortunate scourge. I proactively advise people on how to avoid it, but the sympathy wanes when people report back after the event about Tenerife - my home - in a generalised & negative manner.

So I apologise if my post came across as unsympathetic but i also stand by my comments regarding narrow generalised negativity about this wonderful island by those who are sore that they were duped by one small easily avoidable element.
I did not contradict myself Makum. My husband agreed a price ( he did not haggle) as it was the shopkeeper who offered the bargain not my husband who was trying to get something on the cheap. He had no reason to believe that it was a scam. He simply did not get what they had agreed and had to leave the shop empty handed for fear of trouble. We are 180 euros out of pocket with no camera either.

Makum I am not trying to put anyone off going to Tenerife . I like Tenerife very much, but I doubt if we will return because we tend to like to visit different places in the world . Tenerife is not the only island in the world although to you it may be. I stand by my comments that these shops (unless someone warns you , or you live there ) are dangerous and I will continue to warn others. :roll:
oooh, a little heated methinks!

I think that if you take 'buyer beware' as your motto you should be ok.

Tenerife is indeed a wonderful Island. I have been going for 11 years now and though tend to do the same things each time (eat, drink and sunbathe! - not terribly adventurous) I will continue to return.

We stay near the CC Playa Fanabe with all the guys trying to sell electical goods. I just walk past as if I hadn't seen or heard them. You might think that is a little off-hand - but it works for me!
I did not contradict myself Makum. My husband agreed a price ( he did not haggle)
Sorry for misunderstanding you, but you state in your first post... "He haggled to get a good price for a digital camera" hence me thinking he haggled. :?

He had no reason to believe that it was a c0n
other than the price eh?

We are 180 euros out of pocket with no camera either.
common sense tells you that's theft in any law.

I doubt if we will return because we tend to like to visit different places in the world .
Fair enough, but written in a completely different context to your previous similar statement.

I stand by my comments that these shops (unless someone warns you , or you live there ) are dangerous and I will continue to warn others.
Good good, me too :wink:
:?: Hello all. I've been following the discussions re. electrical shops with interest as we are hoping to be on Tenerife again middle of Feb. and considering buying a camera this time. We had a good look around there in November but gave up as it was obvious we were being given the "run around" !! We've hopefully done our homework well in England now but will still be very cautious - especially heeding the warnings given here. So .... can someone give us directions, please, for Vistana, Maya and Infinity as recommended? Will appreciate it. :) :arrow:
Also, while on the subject, does anyone know why practically all of electrical shops appear to be owned/managed by Asian people? Just interested. :?
So I apologise if my post came across as unsympathetic but i also stand by my comments regarding narrow generalised negativity about this wonderful island by those who are sore that they were duped by one small easily avoidable element.

Actually Makum, you came across more than unsympathetic, I saw your post last night before you amended it :twisted:
Fortunately for you, I was desperately needing my bed, having an early hospital appointment this morning....otherwise I would have replied and told you, that your comments were way out of order, an unnecessary attack on a new member and broke the T&Cs of this site.
And just for the record, I found your post down right insulting to suggest that people who fall victim to these scumbags are mugs...mugs being the word you used...I only wish I had copied it. :twisted: :roll:
Which school of eloquence did you attend?

Tenerife is a beautiful Island, but it is not wonderful and just like other places in the world it has an element of undesirables.
I think it was unfair to the poster, her original post stated that she had, had a lovely holiday, she wasn`t dragging the Island down, she made a post, which I believe was in good faith....and a little sympathy, would not have provoked her into her following replies.
She said nothing wrong, and did not break any T&Cs of this site...unlike you. :twisted:
She probably had researched the hotel and resort and being new to this site, may NOT have used the search button....and there are plenty of members who still do not use the search facility, having been a member for some considerable time.

I`m sick to my back teeth of coming in here and seeing people attacked for having a different view to yours...or having their post dissected and "nit picked".....and you wonder why people don`t bother to post in here. :roll:
Bullyboy tactics don`t work with me. :wink:

Don`t bother to dissect my post, this is my view and I am entitled to make it, just as much as you or anyone else....and I stand by my comments....and I have probably broke the T&C`s now. :twisted:
I`ve been going to Tenerife and mainland Spain before some of you were out of nappies...and not just PDLA or LC. :twisted:
besos xxx
Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-01-24 15:40:59
I'll chose to ignore the above rant :lol:

Hello all. I've been following the discussions re. electrical shops with interest as we are hoping to be on Tenerife again middle of Feb. and considering buying a camera this time. We had a good look around there in November but gave up as it was obvious we were being given the "run around" !! We've hopefully done our homework well in England now but will still be very cautious - especially heeding the warnings given here. So .... can someone give us directions, please, for Vistana, Maya and Infinity as recommended? Will appreciate it.
Also, while on the subject, does anyone know why practically all of electrical shops appear to be owned/managed by Asian people? Just interested

Hi Edna

Good to see you have done your homework.

There are three Visanta's in and around PDLA. there are two in the Parque Santiago area up by the Mare Nostrum Hotel. One is in the Shopping centre underneath Parque Santiago 2 apartments. its on the corner by the cafe. You wont find their staff outside and you will find both Asian and German staff inside. The other visanta in this area is a little further up the same street across the road in CC. Las Americas. A little further up in CC Oasis is Infinity, run by Alex. Maya is in the Veronicas area (opposite) and is staffed with Spanish staff. The third Visanta is on Torviscas high street. (closed to traffic but still open to padestrians)

Visanta give a "no quibble 7 day money back guarantee". Not sure about Maya and Infinity. You wont find stupid prices in the window nor anyone coaxing you in. prices in these shops should be about 10 to 15% cheaper than the UK, but not much more.

With regard to most electrical stores being Asian. yes this is very true, which adds to the confusion and increases the need to look for the tell tale signs outlined in the above posts.

Good luck.
I'll chose to ignore the above rant

You can ignore it all you like.....does the truth hurt. ?:twisted: :roll:
Or are you calling me a liar ? mug.!

sanji :twisted:
I also shop at the visanta outlets for all the reasons given by other residents. However, I called into the one in Torviscas last Christmas to buy a playstation game as a gift. I asked if they had the specific game and wasa told that they had. I asked to have a look at it to se if the languages were interchangable. I was suprised to see an adhesive label with 63 euros on it. Normally in the past the labels have 'visanta' printed on them. I became suspicious of the price as it had been hand written. I asked if the price was correct. They replied that it was. I decided to decline their invitation to buy. He then tried to say that the game was becoming obsolete so I should buy it straight away. This was a complete lie as the game had been released just 3 weeks previously. :evil: I pointed out that it had just been released and he continued to tell me that I was wrong !!! :evil: :evil:

I went directly to the Visanta underneath Parque Santiago 3. I wanted to confirm the pricing because I still wanted to buy from that particular company. I saw a member of staff and asked if they had the game . Yes - 53 Euros. So I bought it. I asked the staff if they were associated with the Torviscas branch and he informed me that they were. I explained what had happened and he was quite disturbed and said thaey would look into it. I will continue to buy from them but not the branch in Torviscas.

P.S. I also believe that makkum has made very valuable contributions to the forum over time. His informative posts on the bouganville playa etc give people a insight and view of Tenerife that otherwise would be unavailable to non residents. Keep up the good work Makkum....you are the Roger Cook of Tenerife!!!
P.S. I also believe that makkum has made very valuable contributions to the forum over time. His informative posts on the bouganville playa etc give people a insight and view of Tenerife that otherwise would be unavailable to non residents. Keep up the good work Makkum....you are the Roger Cook of Tenerife!!!

Yes. I agree whole heartedly with the above comment....but it still does not give him or me the right to insult posters and their mentality.

sanji
Sanji and Makum please stop this now or again a post will be locked because two members cannot agree to disagree.

Makum you have contributed to the Tenerife forum by helping with the various problem regarding the building works and also this topic by making holidaymakers aware of the people who are only out to take their money.

Sanji you in turn have been helpful in the Costa Blanca forum notably in the Benidorm topic with your little videos.

I feel you have both contributed information that is welcome on various topics in the site and I feel it is uncessary for this type of discussion.

Perhaps in the future you both need to count to ten before replying to something that you personally don't agree with.

Please stop now

There is no need for a comment on my post as I hope most of who read it it will agree with the sentiments expressed in it.
:wave Thank you very much, Makum, for the info. re. Visanta, etc. We will find it very useful I know and hopefully our shopping will be pleasant and stress free!! :D
As always, we're looking forward to our trip back. 8)
Cheers. Edna.
Firstly apologies to the moderator for this 'discussion' getting out of hand .I only meant to help with the warning ( Edna has benefitted at least)! Thanks to Sanji & others who helped with some constructive comments. Just for the record my only 'negative' comments on this database are about the rogue electrical shops not about Tenerife in general.

Thank you and Goodnight
I thank you for the apology and although you started the topic I'm sure that it was done with the best intentions ie to warn others of what can happen if you are not careful. Unforunately sometimes topic can go slightly adrift and I would hope that now we can get on with the main object of the forums and help other prospective visitors to Tenerife just what they can enjoy when they get here.

Happy holidays :fly
would just like everyone to know that further to my post about being conned into buying a camera in San Eugenio. I conntacted adeje Town Hall and they have dealt with the shop for me. I have today received a full refund and now need to post my camera back to the shop. What a result! :D
My grandparents who are pensioners have just returned from a holiday in Costa Adeje in Tenerife. Whilst they were there they bought a Digilife DDV V3HD video camera.

They were approached by a salesman outside the shop and were offered a Sony video camera for 25 euros which they knew was very cheap but they were interested and went into the shop. They decided to buy the camera and some accessories but were then given a demonstration of how the camera worked. He went into great detail explaining why the camera was cheap and saying that this type of camera was going out of production to make way for the HD version. When demonstrating the camera he explained it did not work that well indoors and showed just how the new HD camera had improved lighting, speed etc. Another salesman then took over the demonstration and did the hard sell for the HD version. He took the camera out of the box and dropped the box on the floor out of sight. At no time were they able to handle the camera or to check the make and in hind sight realised that he kept his hand over the name. Over the next hour he managed to convince my grandparents to buy the HD camera and then continued on to sell them a longer life battery, memory cards etc all to the value of £1,200! My grandparents are not easily fooled but this salesman was very, very good.

Having left the shop the doubts set in and on arriving at the hotel, they realised there was no guarantee. They went back to the shop on two occasions and were fobbed off and told to come back and they would let them have details. On the final return visit they spoke to who they think was the owner who insisted that the guarantee was on the computer set up CD and when they queried the make, he said it was made by Hitachi. Being unable to check the CD before coming home, they had to accept his word. He was also very anxious to get them out of the shop.

Needless to say on returning to England they realised that they had been conned big time! The camera and accessories are worth at the most £200 which means they were overcharged by approximately £1,000 plus there is no guarantee of any kind. They have been on the internet and the camera is from China/Taiwan and is not connected to Hitachi or any other well known camera company.

I realise that as always it is a case of ‘buyer beware'. I can accept that shops do overcharge but in this instance it is a criminal amount and is not acceptable by any standards. As pensioners the holiday was a luxury. They wanted the camera as they will be going to their granddaughter's graduation with a law degree in July that will be indoors hence the need for a camera to be used inside. Shops of this kind do not do the reputation of traders in Tenerife any good.
It seems everyone I have met who have purchased anything from these shops have had some kind of bad experience, either the goods or the people selling the goods are the issue. These are one bunch who I would like to see credit crunched out of business ( won't hold my breath though). I get pretty annoyed when reading articles about Tenerife that mention these shops, but fail to mention that you should be on your guard in your dealings with these people.
I have found that even with Tenerife being duty free you can still buy cheaper online in the UK. I was going to buy a camera last year in Visanta, but decided to check online first (Visanta don't do hard sell and in my experience are helpful and friendly). I priced the same camera 10 quid cheaper online.

I noticed Carrefour sell electronic products that are reasonably priced, for those with transport or an adventurous side who dont mind busing and walking a bit. Just outside Santa Cruz at the Santa Maria Del Mar exit.
Can anyone give me the address for the Town Hall in Adeje.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.