Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I haven't watched it but will catch up with it. I've travelled to a few places where I have watched folks try to make a living and keep some sort of roof over their head and it does make you think. I remember our driver in Bali being really interested in what we had technology wise at home and it made me feel exactly as you obviously felt watching that programme.
However, the question of what on earth is happening with sunbeds and what the exchange rate is, is important for a holiday. We do want to enjoy ourselves and many also try to help as well. :)
Haven't seen it yet but recorded the program to watch later this week

Must admit it amazes me how little some families manage to live on, we give away the coconuts from our garden and take bags of rice for families we know in the slums, would love to take some large bags of rice for them all to share but it doesn't work that way
The programme did make you think!! The gold collector guy who was so pleased to afford a dump of room not exactly the nicest place to chill after you have spent hours down a drain ( an Indian one at that!!!) really makes me feel ashamed that I had spent the day twisting at work cos it was too warm in the office and we couldn't open the windows cos the river was a bit smelly!!!
It was a great programme that sustained an optimistic tone despite the horrors of everyday life for these poor kids. Watch that and then watch 10 minutes of Jeremy Kyle (if you can bear it) and it just makes you wonder.

The Jeremy Kyle people live in a welfare state but just moan and gripe, everything is someone else's fault and the world owes them a living. The Indian people who have nothing, laugh and joke and look out for each other. Okay, these are sweeping generalisations but wouldn't it be good for them to trade places for a month or two.

The programme left me pondering some very deep questions for which I have no answers at all.
Well said Roma..... It did 'sustain an optimistic tone throughout'.
Incredible how they manage to keep a sense of humour.
Remember when the lady in her beach 'tent' said she was going to "turn the air-conditioning on", then lifted up a flap in the tent and propped it open with a stick :-0

As far as some of JK's 'guests' are concerned, 'trading places' would be a great idea, but I think going down into a sewer every day would be too good for them.
(Apologies in advance for any offence that may cause some members)
Was one of the best Indian documentarys we have seen, was glued to the screen the whole time
Excellent and very well filmed,and anyone who missed it,look out for the repeat or a follow up :tup
i loved it too it was truly excellent!! what inspirational people...

as you said Nejulie that dump of a room and he was soooooo happy ...and not only that he was about to share it with a load of other people!!!! our expectations are so high nowadays and we are so unprepared generally to put in the effort ... cant wait for the next episode ...

i particularly liked the way the wife said when taking apart the home before the bulldozers arrived, 'i dont get stressed there is no point it doesnt help!!' so true!!! and yet so very much to get stressed about compared with some of the things we all get stressed over that are so unimportant really!!!

Chilly
Part 2 on tonight.... don't miss it!

BBC2 / BBC HD, 9pm.
shiyong wrote:
Part 2 on tonight.... don't miss it!

BBC2 / BBC HD, 9pm.

Thanks Shiyong was just about to post the same thing,def one not to miss :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.