Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
As Post
27 Posts
Apart from all the wonderful aspects of the island mentioned above for me it's the layers of life on the island, many of which we are almost unaware. Some years ago I was privileged to visit Candelaria on 14th August from Puerto de la Cruz with the lady rep from our hotel. We took two buses to get there and a long wait in between. It would have been impossible to reach the town by car and park there; camp sites on every tiny portion of land. The rest of my group were happy to stay in Puerto.

It was the day before the great festival of Our Lady of Candelaria and the atmosphere was absolutely amazing. In all the crowds we two seemed to be the only visitors from nationalities other than Canarian. The faces, instruments, costumes and processions were fascinating as was the parade of the Black Madonna amidst unified singing and great reverence. The sea pounded, the sun beat down; there were interesting things to eat and drink and unusual entertainment. What would it be like on the real day,we wondered? It was worth the long journey back (arrived 2:30a.m.) and receiving the scoldings from family and friends, worried that we were lost. (Before mobile phones).

The festival at Garachico is also colourful and lively. The floats come in waves all day and night and the streets are awash with colour (and alcohol). There are so many other celebrations e.g. La Orotava, organised, artistic, meaningful and understood by every Canarian.

It is extraordinary to remember that such different lives and purposes are the solid rock of the island on which we build our new existence. It is an island of discovery and the enjoyment of doing so is corroborated by all who have contributed to this forum. See you at Candelaria next August 15th?
Margaretta
For me it has to be the winter sunshine, have been in Oct / Nov about 5-6 times, just like one of our good summers.
It's the weather! My friend's parents live there, and she is going at the same time as us in November. She says she is going to show us all the best parts of the island, I can't wait!
I go because it's relatively cheap.

It was the first abroad holiday I remember as a child and I learnt to swim there when I was 4, I still have the memories and I was also the girl in the boat with the dolphins at Loro Parque.

I am now 20 and have since been back over around 12 times.

My partner also loves tenerife too and has spent many family holidays over there, and we are just booking for March our first holiday abroad since being together, and we're booking, yes you guessed it TENERIFE! lol. :lol:
I remember a picture we took on our way round the coastline, if anyone can tell me the parts name I am on about. It's a part of the island, on the South which is being submerged in water over the years, and it will be completely covered in the future and it's a yellowish colour I remember, when you are driving around the windy roads, theres a stop by a little cafe place and if you look over the edge you see this little circular peice of land. We took a picture of it back in 1990 and again in 2000 and even over the 10 years you can see a slight difference. :?:

Each time I go to Tenerife the memories come flooding back, can't wait to be in a position to possibly but an apartment out there, that's what I am going to save up for in the future :lol:
My wife thinks that the reason why we keep on returning to Tenerife is because , she thinks I was a dolphin in my past life. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.