Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Right would i go back.

Well after what i saw and what i have read on here, i only wish i'd gone 5-10 years ago.

I knew well before i went Goa was going to be cheap, as i'd read it, but this wasn't by any means my reason for going.

I felt more relaxed when i was out of the resorts.

what i enjoyed

I loved wakeing up every morning and standing on my balcony and waving to the old lady next door, when she was doing her washing on the old concrete slab.
I love walking past the kids on the building site, and them shouting hello.
I loved walking through the village up in nerul, with people waving at me and saying hello and not asking for cash for doing it.
I enjoyed panjim market, no hassle no bother with wanting me to buy anything.

what i hated

the beggers, they don't take no for an answer
beach sellers, i work hard for my money and want to relax on holiday, and don't want to be woke up when i'm asleep on the beach, to be asked do i want to buy a sarong, massage, manicure etc etc
taxi drivers, i got out of a taxi outside highland beach to be asked by someone, do you want a taxi
the rubbish at the side of the road, i'm sorry but there is no need for it in candolim or anywhere
the hassle from the shop sellers, i ended up buying a pair of shoes for 200 just to keep a shop keeper happy, as i had to pass her everyday, they were naff and dirty shoes and i left them there, then i saw the look of disgust in her eye when i walked past wearing an anklet chain, bought from somewhere else, that she also sold.
Got fed up of saying no thank you
The fear of visiting a toilet, wondering what your going to witness, and having to squatt again, how hard is it to put a bit of beach down 3 or 4 times a day and scrub it.
men openly urinating in the street

Whist there we talked about going next year for 3 weeks, because we did enjoy it, but did get fed up of some aspects of it, but now whilst home.

I'm sorry it is a NO NO from us.
Interesting Chris, but what you have said are the things first timers see in Goa and I too would be having serious thoughts on returning had I never been before. Next year I cannot go because of the new kitchen but whether I return in the future is a tough one to answer, probably I will but combine it with other parts of India. Who do we blame ? locals or the tourist people and authorities ? most of your bad bits are things that we have all been saying should be addressed and that have steadily increased over the years, which I find very sad. The Goa I know exists past the tourist belt and starts in Anjuna and goes to Arambol, my Mrs never came backpacking with me when I first visited Goa and she is amazed when she asks me where such a place is when I spent so long here, I honestly don`t have a clue where I am going when people mention this restaurant or this hotel. Never visited Calangute or Candolim in a five month stay there and now I`m a package tourist I don`t really take it in, maybe I just block it out and remember strolling around Vagator happily waving at the kids and locals going about their daily business, Those are the good memories of Goa for me and they are still there as you said in your good parts, it really is a shame that things that should have been put right years ago never were and it spoiled your illusions :(
i think that is why i would have probably prefered it 5 - 10 years ago. i would have liked to see the raw goa so to speak.

And yes i did the touristy thing, but i got more enjoyment from my day walking through nerul and the villages. where genunine people waved at me, and i took photos of, without being asked for cash for doing it.
Goldenlady - yes people do pee in broad daylight in Blackpool I know I live there!!(well just outside but work in town
I'm going back to Goa for 5th time in March, other people have commented on it having the Blackpool factor, but I don't agree with that, In Goa I have never seen rowdy drunken yobs, baring their rear ends and other parts of the anatomy like they do!!

I think Goa is a great place, and have no hesitation in going back, the atmosphere, sun, sand and good food it what it's about.

Hygiene is not necessarily poor but just not the high standards we have in the UK (most places) so it is touch and go! it will take more for me to be put off going again
We have been to north Goa 10 times but last year we decided enough was enough for a lot of the reasons mentioned in the above posts. This year we went south to Cavelossim. We loved it and will definitely be going again.
I remeber reading an article in the Guardian in 1993 that said "see Candolim now before it has been ruined"
or something like.
Went in 1994 and it was glorious, went again in 1995, again glorious (Candolim). :)
Went in 2002 it was busy(ish) (Candolim). :)
Went in 2004 it was very quiete where I was (overlooking the Mandovi). :)
Went in 2006 it was absolute chaos in Candolim. :(

Would I go again - not to Candolim. I would go down south either to Bogmalo or Benaulim.

Trev
The BCC area is not the best TBH and there is a lot of hassle. I love goa because of the other areas. Vagator, Morjim, Arambal and Palolem. Most people will only go there for day trips.

I enjoy hopping on my bike and travelling and exploring. Its not just that the beaches are better, they just don't seem to have the falseness of Baga etc. Arpora is decent to stay as its far enough out from the hustle and bustle but everything is still close.
Sorry Ellibee and Jock, I keep forgetting.
I forgot until reading these posts about the ice cream selller on Baga beach who ducked under my brolly and tried to shove his ice cream picture card things between my legs :yikes I was furious and gave him a mouthful but he just laughed and ran off :rage
I know " My Goa " and yes I will return, :)
Well this year has been my fourth consecative visit to North Goa, this year we enjoyed it but it has changed for the worse I cant really put my finger on what is going wrong but the Goan authorities need to stamp out the over zealous taxi drivers who will rip you off if you are naive enough to let them, the rubbish mountain is getting worse, bars and restaurant prices have gone up this year we spent much more money than we thought we would. I will not say I wont be going back because I love Goa and particulary the Goan people, but on the other hand I think we have to make a stand and next winter I am going to look at different alternatives. :(

Right off to Thailand discussion forum :really

Steve
Would love to see you there Fiona but , I don't think you will be in the same area , :(
i meant the Thailand discussion forum lassigirl- I'm mod there too ;)
Sorry Fiona :oops: Must remember to read the previous posts correctly .
We first went to Goa about 12 years ago and over the years have been a number of times and seen it change as well- some things for the better and some for the worse, but that is the same in a lot of places we have been to.
We've just booked to go back again in December so our answer would be yes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.