Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
YES we are going back on Saturday
we went in November and still love the place
and we have already booked November 2008 and February 2009.
We fell in love with Goa the first time we went and it hasnt let us down ,we have stayed both in the north and in the south
but prefare the south Caveloslem to stay in

After all England is not without its rip offs and bad behavior
Pat :sun2
Yes just booked for November, 2 weeks with First Choice £602 each
Hi,

I agree with smudger, we are going on thursday and have booked for next easter to We are keeping our fingers crossed that we find goa just as magical as we did two yrs ago, if not i am afraid i will be another one that will change my easter holiday for some where else. Heres hopeing.

Pip
x
Maybe in a few years to the South if Goa sorts its Police force out.
Got back on Sunday and already planning to go for 3 weeks next year.

Donna
XX
We got back yesterday and have already planned a return visit at Xmas.
Only once next year, three weeks in early Dec. Only to see all our friends, both local and "regulars", under no illusion that things will have improved, the greed and corruption will be ongoing, and all the other faults will remain as now. The visa situation will likely be more restrictive, and who knows what the shack situation will be, the tourism minister seems to think that coming down hard on ALL the shacks will somehow divert attention to the terrible goings on at Anjuna, not much chance of that. Alan
We may have looked at things through rose tinted glasses this year, concentrating on the positive aspects of Goa.

We also decided before our trip not to give money to the continual procession of freeloaders wanting money for nothing, IE deaf spelling competitions, the baby beggars, baggage boys and rip over priced taxi drivers and beach beggars (Although we did give to physically handicapped). On the other hand we gave generously to those who provided a service, and reasonably priced taxis and tuk tuks ect.

With regards corruption I am sure that we have not changed the situation one iota, but by adopting this attitude beforehand we ended up having a having a damn good stress free holiday.

To answer the question "Will you go back to Goa" the answer is Yes, with (Goan virgin) friends, and its already booked for next Jan/Feb

GM06
Ian
Still in Goa at the moment until July. Will I go back to Goa, I certainly will. Planned to come back in September 08. Looks like I go to the UK for holidays now for xmas and new year then a period over the summer. Goa is still the best place even if it has been raining. You should see the Monsoons then you will know what rain really is.
We'll be back to Candolim in December for the second time. Taking six others who haven't been before but now wondering whether we've done the right thing. From the hotel reports there won't be a problem but the state of the beach, the sellers, taxi drivers, litter, pervs etc is beginning to worry us a bit. Don't get me wrong as much as we loved the place two years ago I can honestly say a lot of these things were already there but it now sounds a lot worse. We were asked to go to The Gambia but managed to convince everyone that Goa was the place to be. Lets hope by next season things are on the mend.

:( :( :( :(
should be going back last two weeks of the season but all this doom n gloom n rain is putting me off :yikes really dont know what to do :que
Forget all the doom n' gloom posts......GO BACK !!!
Most of the posts are in reference to the "Corruption" within the Police/Gov. Ministry.
We use the word corruption because we don't have another to describe to situation, but, not only in Goa, but all of India, in all walks of life, "corruption" is an everyday occurence and an accepted way of life.
Example :- It costs around £3000 to get into the police force and it's expected that the officer will somehow retrieve his outlay and at the same time his superiors will also get their "little touch" for allowing him the opportunity. For most visitors to Goa the only time you will feel the effect is when you are fined 200rps (no receipt) for driving without an Int/Licence. Suck it up and live with it, after all it would cost you a darned lot more here in the UK without the correct licence, and no corruption.
On the otherhand if you feel that the corruption within the Tourism Industry is ruining what little infrastructure there is and spoiling your holiday, then vote with your feet and hard earned cash.
Same goes for the rip off taxis and overpriced shacks.
But if it's the simple things you want that Goa has to offer, winter sun, lazy beach days, good food and visiting old and dear friends, then look past the so called "darker side" it's really of no concern, you can't do anything about it in any case. Pay your money, get your bargain break and ENJOY, forget the corruption, the internal politics, the name calling of Brit Tourists, concentrate on your curry and tan, there's still fun to be had.
We will be returning in Feb but I must admit the recent comments are not to encouraging.If these comments were from those visiting for the 1st time I may not be as concerned but when they are made by what I class as seasoned campaigners I tend to take more notice,dont get me wrong as its easy to get carried away with complete contrast to anywhere else you may have been.What seems cheap to some (taxis,meals ect) probably are by european prices but the rate prices have increased there over the last few years makes the uk look like a tax haven,I must point out I am not having a go 1st timers as they have no prices to compare to other than european prices.I also think one of the main problems is taxi drivers and there prices, you can get three taxis from say Baga to Candolim and be charged three different prices and I personally would never tip another taxi driver.Like it or not we need taxis as the buses are'nt always a viable option, the thing we should decide is who needs who the most?Another thing that some of us may overlook is how many of us return to see friends we have made over the years (locals & other holiday makers) personally we return to meet up with friends from all over the uk just as much as to visit Goa,and maybe if our friends decided to meet up elsewere (maybe Thailand,Malaysia ect) we may opt for that although I hope it does'nt come to that. And finally maybe Goa is trying to encourage a different type of tourist, ones who will visit and pay whatever they are charged with no questions asked. Sorry about the rant but after years of singing Goas praises and recommending the place to anyone who would listen, I dont think I could honestly do the same now......cheers Keith
  • Edited by KJF 2008-03-26 16:14:46
Eddie 101

Well said - I couldn't have put it better myself. I return this December for the 7th time and still plan to join the 6-monthers next year - it is a long-held dream and after another long and hard winter here on my ever ageing bones, I cannot wait.

Candybabe
am going back in april this year and march next,but am going to sri lanka in oct so who knows then
eddie101

But if it's the simple things you want that Goa has to offer, winter sun, lazy beach days, good food and visiting old and dear friends, then look past the so called "darker side"

I agree,well said :tup

GM06
Ian
eddie
what a good post :tup
Goa is not unique in having police who pay to get their job. one of my favourite places-Bali- also has this and the same problems resulting. In the same place you will also get taxi drivers trying to rip you off. The ultimate for us was when the OH got in a rage and walked away from a taxi driver who wanted to charge us 20p when we knew it should only be 10p. I ended up in stitches as the reality hit and he was fretting over 10p.
Let's face it, the beach sellers, taxi drivers, shopowners etc are first and foremost wanting to make money. Do you not think, in the same position, that you would try to get more? One example of this is the beachseller who sold me 3 sarongs. She tried a few times to get me to buy again. She was told politely but in no uncertain terms that I was going to buy nothing more. She gave up trying to sell but still came over for a chat quite often. We met a lot of friendly Goans. Yes they wanted money from you, but they also were genuinely friendly.
You need to look back at your holiday and ask yourself if you enjoyed your holiday in spite of the negatives. If you didnt - then its easy- don't go back. Me- well we went in October and are going to have a flying visit in the next few days( and thats a story told in goa gossip ;) ) I'll let you know if we think we will be returning again after this one :)
Went once last christmas loved it beggars and all so we,ve booked for this christmas again.It could be worse couldn`t it :que We have to remember that Goa is a poor country that is only open for business for half the year so they have to work harder to get the money to last them a whole year. Yes they will try to rip you off but everyone knows this and just dont pay the prices they ask.Just relax :sun2 enjoy the sun :cheers have a dink or two :rofl and have a lagh , enjoy yourself your on holiday :tongue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.