Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Yes, I'll definately go back, going in 5 weeks for my 8th visit and Christmas is all booked.

I love the place, I do agree that certain aspects need to be addressed. We use the same taxi driver each time we go, his prices have remained the same in the whole time we have been going, so no problem with rip off there. We keep away from the main BCC belt during the day time preferring to go further north. Have had some fantastic meals in Goa, for a fraction of the price you would pay here at home, and no I don't eat english whilst there.

When we arrive home we always feel totally relaxed, which in our books is what a holiday is all about.

Perhaps if the numbers go down it will make life a little bit better for those who do still go, won't be quite so busy.
Without a shadow of a doubt ............I am going back , have 2 holidays to Goa already booked for Goa this year, I am lucky enough to have travelled to quite a few exotic countries and have seen many fabulous sights , but at the moment myself and husband agree that we have found 'our place' , it just feels 'right' , I agree that some things about Goa are not great i.e the litter , but somehow I just think it has a special magic all of it's own, so yes I will most definitely be going back :cheers
We arrived back tues night after our 1st time in Goa. We stayed in Baga at the Beira Mar and it was the best holiday i've ever had. We only went for 10 days and wished we'd booked for longer, it was so hard to leave. It wasnt nearly as dirty as we imagined after reading posts on here. The food was amazing, only one out of 6 of us had delhi belly. We mainly walked up to Candolim beach as we preferred the shack there and not as much hassle from beach sellers, tho i found by pretending to be asleep they leave you alone anyway! The only disappointment was the market, too many stalls selling the same, maybe im too use to car boot sales but i didnt think there were that many bargains to be had there apart from delicious food, most things there were actually cheaper in the shops!
We went up to Arambol which was lovely and would def consider a beach hut there another time.
Even tho we went at their 'coldest time' from what everyone told us i still came back with a nice tan and not a single mozzie bite!
We all fell in love with the place and will be returning again next year :)
i'm a relative "newbie" having only been 3 times. going for our 4th holiday on monday and must admit that the general tone of the forum has changed in that people are complaining more. my husband wants to make this our last trip for a while-only because he wants to try other places.i still want to try south and see the difference and if it is like the goa of 10 or so years ago(not that we'd know but only from the description from our friends who first went to calangute 12 years ago) been to calangute twice and this will be the second to candolim and still love it.i cant believe it has really changed that much since last february.
I have to say after my first trip to Goa (New year) I loved it and I'm sure it won't be my last. :tup Unfortunately the problems that are now in Goa i.e. the insincerity of the sellers,taxi drivers, hotel owners etc are a part of 21st century life, in an ultimately materialistic world were money is King :que I went to Turkey 19 yrs ago when most places had holes in the ground as toilets, bar seats were made of bricks covered in foam, but when nothing was too much trouble and the tourist was treated like a guest (all be it a paying one) On my 3rd visit About 9yrs ago I noticed many of the changes that people are reporting in Goa, and when the hotel owners followed us onto the coach to ask for £70 to paint a white washed wall in the room that my 3yr old had splashed with his bottle my views of the country completely changed. I think Goa still has many positives and people should always put things into perspective, however I do agree that many will vote with there feet and spend their hard earned cash elsewhere and the nice people we met on our holiday will suffer along with the shysters :(
Debi
We went for the first time in january, travelled all over the world so was not to stressed about what we saw on the way to our hotel, we thought most of the people very nice, stayed in the south liked it a lot, we did visit the north but far to noisy for me to stay,(but can see why lots of people like it) have booked up to stay in the south at xmas for a month so YES we will be going back. :pele
We're definately going back for ou tenth time.
Got back last week and had a wonderful holiday.
mind you, I think 2 weeks per year is enough.
We're looking forward to Poland(next week) and Western Spain(June) - you know what they say about variety!!

Paul
We have been every xmas/new year for the last nine years and yes Goa has changed to the point that we don,t want to go back.
Obviously it is progress for Candolim to have more restaurants, and hotels but im not sure that is the problem (if thats the right word). Goa used to seem much more expensive to get to it was almost out of our reach, but now it seems that Spain and the Canaries etc are the higher priced holiday resorts so its hardly surprising that we have many more families in resort than we ever had before.
Its no longer quiet and charming its turned into the very place we try to avoid.
Maybe we could go down south it would be a total change but I fear it will soon go the same way as Candolim.

Gaz
It has been ages since I came on the Goa forum for the simple fact I wont be going back to Goa again. We stayed in the South at a fabulous hotel for Christmas and New Year, but the prices of the taxis did it for us. We went to see our son and his girlfriend in Candolim and it was dirty and the men on the beach were lewd and downright pervs. It turned my stomach. After the performance of the visas its done it for us. We are off on a cruise next Christmas and off to Florida at summer so bye bye Goa. :wave:
Have been going to Candolim for the past 15 years and have already booked for a month in November this year. I agree with a lot that has been said here, but I think we need to look at ourselves as tourists to see where part of the problem lies. Last year we were surprised at just how many restaurants were offering english food such as a full english, steak and kidney pie and fish chips and mushy peas. These restaurants were busy, so they are only catering to demand. We noticed quite a few groups of loud, obnoxious and drunk brits clearly making the most of the cheap drinks.
As for 'pervs' on the beach, well, what do you expect ? Indian culture is for women to be covered and to dress modestly, of course men from out of state are going to be curious at the thought of western women half naked on the beaches. I am sure that in reality they are usually bitterly disappointed at what they find !! It does not help though that women go topless on the beaches, and it's usually those who should know better. As an example, a shack near ours had a platform area overlooking the beach, when we were there last year there were a group of english women in their sixties who would stand up in full view of everyone in just their bikini bottoms. It wasn't a pleasant sight.
We have told everyone over the years how great and cheap Goa is and have added to its popularity in doing so, now we are moaning because it is too busy! We should have kept it a secret.
I will continue to go back because I feel it is where I belong and I am happier there than anywhere else.I am saddened by the rapid progress and over-developement in some parts, but that's life. I am glad to read here that other peope won't be going back or are heading south for a change, perhaps next year Candolim will be a little quieter.I will continue to go back to Candolim, it's got the best choice of restaurants for evenings out, in my opinion, and I will continue to spend my days up north on my favourite beach. I won't tell you where that is though, I don't want it to get spolied!
We will definitely be going back, the only thing holding up our booking is that my daughter plans to get pregnant asap :yikes so hopefully it wont happen straight away and we can go in November :que Great improvement in daughter that she has told me her plans instead of having hysterics cos Im not around when she wants me to be. :tup
I'm 60 and don't intend getting them out for anybody 'cos OH would be ROFL and everything else would be ROF but whatever floats your boat .
The men on the beach at Candolim weren't just gawping at women with their tops off they stood gazing at my sons girlfriend and she had a modest bikini on!! She is 20, pretty and blonde thats the reason they were staring and I found it quite uncomfortable as they stood there and blatently perved. Its not just that. we felt that Goa was just not the same as it was 5 years ago and we will NOT be going again. Its time for a change and I think a lot of people are thinking the same (well according to the ones we met in Goa).
We were on Calangute beach and young Indian lads were taking pics on their mobile phones of topless women on the water's edge and passing it round their mates laughing. The women didn't seem to be bothered. I WAS.
yes I will go back to Goa. I will go to other places in India but in the end I will stay in Goa.
I am glad that people who went to Goa for cheap prices and for cheap prices only, are backing off.
Traditionally there is no nudity of women in public places and their understanding of nudity differs from ours. I'm glad that those who do not give s**t what locals think, find it uncomfortable. and I agree with KatieB, 90% of ones who expose themselves would be better not to. Lets forgive to young lads in a country where there is (because of the objective reasons) much more men than there is women. have you noticed how local women bathsuits look like? I would call it European conservative evening dress. and then "white" women come...! blame them?
I'm glad that people who are so "low" that garbage blocks their view, who are not able to see deeper and farther, will choose another location. somewhere in "more civilised" countries. somewhere "all inclusive", so that you do not have to leave the hotel.
In some way I'm sad but in some way I'm glad that this sorting takes place.
I hope that Goa will find its way, its people will find their way. I hope that I will find my acceptable way in their country to have my holiday as well.
elephant
back to Goa in march 2009
sry ... one more statement :)
When people who are guests in your home, do not value your beliefs, your traditions, your way of life and show it openly because they are guests (tourists), I guess you would not be as friendly as locals in Goa - I'm talking about topless bathing
When you are negotiating your salary for the new job, you try to get as much as your new emloyee is willing to pay - I'm talking about taxi and hotel prices. The simple man asks the price as high as the market says.
elephant
I think the thing you are missing elephant is that people are not just on about topless sunbathing its about women wearing either full bathing costumes or bikinis who are being perved at. Do you seriously think people who go to goa should not wear either of these when relaxing on the beach without the stress of being leered at by perverts. I suppose next you will be saying that women deserve being attacked or raped for wearing a swimsuit on a public beach because the local culture is not used to seeing women dress this way. People primarily go to goa for a holiday and part of that is lying on the beach in a swimsuit, are you saying that we shouldnt be doing that or are you saying that being perved at is part of the territory when visiting india if you wear anything other than a sari?
No lukey. I will not say that women deserve being attacked, you have turned my words around.
elephant
lets get this back on track to saying whether or not you would return to Goa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.