Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Great attitude Chilly! Cheered me up, and you are dead right of course! I still love the place even though it has changed drastically. I would still rather spend my days in Goa than U.K. :sun2
Been to Goa six times since 1999 the last time was over last Xmas & New Year, agree with a lot of the posts it has changed.

I will go back but not for a few years.

Trying a few different places for the first time this year.

Florida in April.

Bangkok - Phuket - Hong Kong over Xmas & New Year. :tup
thanks eddie 101 took your advise and have just booked, going on the 14/4 and staying at the md, i'm just gonna forget all the gloom and have aa good time :tup
We are seasoned travellers and have just returned from Goa using the new East Mids flights. We have been to Goa about 6 times in all but this time I returned with chronic food poisoning and have taken the best part of the last two weeks trying to get better.
We found our own accommodation having used flight only not much if any of a saving doing it this way. We found beach huts complaing of poor trade but their prices are as expensive as many better restaurants. I am not a big drinker just a couple of Kingfisher but my rule of thumb is if the drinks are say 70 rupees plus then everything on the menu is a couple of rupees more so I avoided these places. Some beach hut owners have the idea that if they put in a nice clean toilet they can charge the earth. When I question their prices they say we have to buy new tiles/slabs . Not every year they don't.
Only used Tut Tuts except on the airport run.
My illness has put me off returning in the next couple of years, but yes we will return one day and probably try the south as all of our holidays have been spent in the Candolim area and feel a change is what we need. Off to China in September and probably Thailand next winter.

Stewart
Three years ago on my last visit to Goa I vowed I would never go again. We were sick of being hassled not only by beach sellers but workers at that dreadful airport .

We went to Thailand, Dominican Republic, Barbados and a Cruise enjoyed them all but not as much as Goa I do not know what it is but everywhere we go my husbands says its not as relaxing as Goa.

So guess what we are off to Cavellosim again next January.
We are looking to Cavellosim next Jan,hoping to get exchange into our timeshare
at The Hatthi Mahal 2 weeks ,then 1 week in Candolim to visit all our friends :) :)
ann
Going back again 10th year running! Xmas till March, and even though it HAS changed, i still can't wait! Looking forward to seeing all our friends out there again! And KJF!! :rofl
I must add a quote made by Roma on a similar topic:-

"Goa's changing, that's for sure and I guess we'll all reach a stage when we think "that's enough". We'll all draw the line at a different stage."

I have just returned from my 12th visit and I must say that like many more Goan regulars that time as come for me. Will I go back; let's see what the future holds
Everyone is showing the same concerns which is very worrying, even myself this year, I took the rose tinted glasses off and saw things I really wish I hadn`t. Having said that, I did different things this time and discovered new things which restored a bit of faith, I will more than likely be back, when I don`t know :que
As some members know I had my rose tinted glasses removed when I was there in Feb and if I had not paid for my March hol would probably not have gone back. Glad to say I did go back and had a much better time. However, this was because I was armed with a different attitude and with different expectations and this helped. My hubbie said he probably wouldn't go back after this March hol as he felt the magic had gone. That probably became a definite after he intervened when a young English woman, buying ice cream with 4 children (2 of whom were mine) was punched in the face 3 times and knocked to the ground outside their hotel. This was because she tried to stop a group of very drunken Goans from throwing holi paint over them. It happened in broad daylight on a very busy road in front of 20 taxi drivers but no-one saw anything. The girl had a burst nose and lip, the kids were all crying and they were advised by the hotel manager to leave it. Hubbie said that was the final straw. For me I will probably go back because I think some of the magic is still there though I'm not sure for how long.
I was one of the 25% , who visit twice in the season. Glad the point was made that more visitors would return if the garbage and maintenance situation improved .
Me and you both Lassi (and the season before I visited 3 times!). However me and my OH have been discussing is Goa best for just a once a year visit to retain some of its "magic". We are considering one visit to Goa next season, already booked for Nov 2008, and maybe a visit to Thailand.
Ladies like yourselvs we went twice this season but I really think there was so much doom and gloom on the forum in the last few mths that we all went out thinking its not going to be the same ..we had a great time I cant say a bad word about my two weeks there even the taxi men never onced over charged I told them what I would pay and they never onced said no ..
one and only hicup was a driver had no change one night and got 200 for a 150 job but I was the one to blame not him I should no that one ....colleen
We also will, after 20 years, cut back to once only next season, and that visit next Nov-Dec, will be really only to meet up with all the friends we've made both local and visitors over the years. Most of the magic has gone for us now, and the decline seems to gather pace year on year. It's Bali for us in a month or so, and next spring likely Thailand, which we know quite well and we'll certainly enjoy the superior accomodation etc. on offer there
Alan
Irishcolleen that was your first time going twice in the one season, but do you think you would do it every year?
I dont know how I feel at the moment, I am very confused :que :duh
Just back after my fourth visit and I think Goa has really changed and not for the better. I must admit that I really enjoyed my holiday but something seems to be missing and money seems to be the be all and end all, not just for the beach sellers but for taxi drivers and everyone else who seem to be after your cash, not to mention the visa fiasco and the farce at Dabolim airport where it must be easier to get into Fort Knox. Also the rubbish situation seems to be getting worse, not too long ago the beaches were relatively clean compared to the rest of Goa but now the beaches are also filled with rubbish, plastic bottles etc. I have booked for Gambia next year and will definitely be giving Goa a miss but hope to go back sometime.
Scrumpy I do agree with all your comments.
My OH also said to me that most folk are after something - your money of course. They are all very nice to you, but usually for a reason, they want you to buy them something, give them something, drop hints about stuff they need. But when they talk to you are all of them genuinely interested in you as a person or is it only because they are on the take and want something?
Dont get me wrong I also have friends in Goa who are not like that at all, and I am not saying everyone is like that, but many of them are.
More than anything its the filth that gets to me. Its vile. We wouldnt live in the UK in conditions like that so why should you be expected to do it when you go on holiday and spend your hard earned cash? :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.