Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Just a quick correction to my previous entry I meant Calangute Fish/Vegatable Market not Candolim. Lenny :duh
The fish market put me off fish for the rest of my hols,did you notice the place where they dump all the fish heads and inners,there was a lot of poor people hanging around waiting for permision to help themselfs and it had all been in that heat all morning.
Never been to the fish market Lenny, but it sounds pretty :yuck and as you say would put you off your dinner if you saw what was going on there. As for the rats, doesnt even bear thinking about!!! :yikes
Poultonkid sounds revolting thinking of all the fishy bits :(
I can't decide. My experience in Feb burst some of the bubble for me but I've always had a great time when I go out there with my 2 children. The Goans take a lot of beating when it comes to their wonderful attitude towards children. That said I've found a cracking deal for Kerala which is over the Christmas period and a lot lot cheaper. Decisions decisions.
Just bumbed into my friend who came over on the flight with us and asked him if he would return next year, he said yes he would but there were some serious doubts about who he thought were his friends there and peoples motives for being friendly :( He has been the last 3 years due to me banging on to him how good it was, at first I warned him of such things but no they are great, they wouldn`t do such things he said. Don`t know what made him change his mind so suddenly? maybe the spectacles fell off on a bike trip :think
I bumped into an old friend the other night who was just back from a 10 week stay around Vagator. He mentioned the continuing build of rubbish and increasing filth around CCB but if you know where to go (we both do) you can still chill and have an OK time.

He picked up on an interesting piece of info'. He had been talking to someone on the UK tourist/charter side about the increasing number of complaints by those visiting the North (CCB side). Apparantly there have been a huge amount of complaints by first timers and others on charters about overpricing of additional facilities, filth, rubbish etc. (a lot not aware of the fact of the 3rd world aspect). So much so that one of the MAJOR tour/charter companies in UK is seriously thinking about pulling out of Goa next year due to the amount of complaints.

I'd probably be very cautious about booking well in advance, or don't be surprised if flights are re-scheduled.

I can't name the charter company but it is one of the biggies.
We had decided that we did not want to go to Goa this year because our last holiday was a bit disappointing, however, we have decided that we will leave it to nearer the time when we would go on holiday to see if we can get a better deal on where we usually stay. If not, there are plenty of other places we could go to.
That will be my plan too Sydney, we are having a new kitchen done this year so a holiday looks unlikely, however we will get our visas and hope for a late deal, some friends went to Marina dourada last week 2 weeks H/B £269 each :yikes
http://Marina dourada last week 2 weeks H/B £269 each

Someone's losing out on that deal...... that must be an all time low! Maybe it's going to be a cut and run scenario with charter companies. Who knows?
They could have had b&b for £189, they went last saturday, no idea wher they got it.
Blimey that is a bargain, I thought we had a good deal at £276 each!
I didnt know the MD offered Half Board, but even at B & B its still a brilliant price.
Neil, me and my OH were just saying the other week that it would need tour companies to totally withdraw from Goa for a whole season and see what impact it has. Maybe then the Goan authorities will take notice.
After messing about last year with the VISA issue and encountering a lot of the similar problems experienced by others..we just came back from 3 weeks in Cambodia (combined with KL for flights).
We found it cleaner, cheaper, friendlier, more innocent and willing to please....very much like Goa of 5-10 years ago.
For a country that's experienced an horrendous recent history, no great income, and a lack of infrastructure it knocks spots off Goa.
The VISA was applied, paid for and printed online...you attach a jpg photo and it makes the VISA for you..it took them 4 hours to check our passports and email the VISA...what a brilliant brilliant system....and it's not hard to do. Handed over at the well organised airport, scanned, stamped and you're out in 5 minutes.
Meal for 2 with beer for less than 5 quid, better beaches, islands for snorkelling, no rip off tuktuk drivers from the cities. Lots of small guest houses, bungalows on the beach, fresh fish, great bars and restaurants.....a room can be had for £4 a night and an island boat trip for £3. They make sure the roads are passable for coaches....they want you to go there and they want the business....hopefully they'll reinvest the profits and sustain themselves....there's huge use of solar power already.

India's just been bone idle, intransigent and greedy on the Goa issue...they want everything but can't be bothered with the effort.
it would need tour companies to totally withdraw from Goa for a whole season and see what impact it has.

I think that may partly happen if the tour companies don't get enough bookings. If they get so many irate customers they will probably just pull out of that route although someone else will probably jump in.
Chriss , I agree with you about Cambodia, I have never in my life met such welcoming people , when you think what has happened in Cambodia and how lovely they are it is very humbling, I am going back in July , I love it :tup
You people will have to tell me more about Cambodia, it sounds bliss.
I have just been reading about Vietnam/Cambodia on one of the other forums and I have now ordered several brochures as I am really interested in them.
Hi Shirley what is the best time of year for good weather in Cambodia,do they have
a rainy season?
Thanks Ann
I'm definately going back. It was my first time to Goa this year so maybe it was a good thing I couldn't compare it to years gone by. I had the time of my life.... spending the day on Ashven and Mandren beach and swimming in the sea, I'm sure that's as good as it gets! I found the people really friendly and didn't get a bad feeling that people were just after money. Found taxi's, meals out in fact everything a total bargain. It's rip off Britain not rip off India!
I can't wait to go back to India in November and spend a few months there this time :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.