Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Maybe they are not making enough profit to do it.

I know it sounds daft but when the admin costs to them are taken away from their profit they may not be making £20 at all.

I do know some companies who sell at a loss in May/June/September/October as they can make it up at the extortianate prices in July/August

John
:D Hi, same thing happened to us; Found accomodation with benidorm spotlight, which was cheaper than WSH, emailed them, and got same response they could only offer us the accommodation, at the price shown on their website. (This was for 4 nights April), we just booked the cheaper price. It is annoying though when they are more of less saying they will beat/match the price, then don't!

Regards, BBB
Perhaps it's just me but I can't see what the cause for complaint is here! They don't say that they will price match or that they will under cut another quote you've had. They're being perfectly upfront and simply say that they might be able to beat it and it's worth giving them a try.

The package holiday business is pretty cut throat and many TOs and TAs are operating at pretty low profit margins. A 10% profit margin for a TA on a holiday means that on a £2,000 holiday they are only making £200 pounds in the first place, a further reduction of £20 is the equivalent of them losing 20% off their margin. By the time you take into account their own admin costs in processing a booking I can see why sometimes they would prefer to lose the sale. If they've already pared their profit margin to the bone there does eventually come the point where they can't be pared even more. If you've already found a lower quote just accept that that is the lowest quote and go with it. No matter how much shopping around you do there does eventually come the time when you just have to accept that you've now got the lowest quote and you either accept it and book or you just don't book.

SMa
Fatcodycat, was the final WSH price with the 8% discount ??

Without going into details, who actually beat their price by £20 ??

Robby :wink:
No the price was not with the 8% discount as we have not booked with WSH before so i was hoping to book with them to get the 8% discount for future hols!!

The other company was relaxabroad.com, I know WSH dont charge credit card fees but neither do relaxabroad so that makes a level playing field apart from one being £20 cheaper than the other.

I appreciate what you are all saying about companies not being able to price match but it just seems in spite of saying on their website that they will try to it hasnt been the case whenever i have tried to book with them.

fatcodycat 8)
I would scrifice the £20 and book with WSH, as in the long run you will save on future holidays.
I'm very surprised that WSH haven't price matched, as they obviously have £160 to "play with".

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

Robby :wink:
Forgive me for being a little flippant.

I KNOW that I can buy my petrol cheaper from a certain petrol station. However, I choose to buy from one that gives a particular brand of points, whilst knowing that they are generally 1p a litre more expensive!

Sounds to me as though you know enough about the market to be able to find the cheapest price available - so well done to you!

You have an unbeatable price. ENJOY!
not being funny,but ive never heard of relaxabroad,but i have heard of wsh and wouldnt hesitate to book with them in the future.not dissing relaxabroad but wsh have a good reputation and i think 20 quid would be worth it for peace of mind. mo.
:D That's not the point.

If a company offers to price match/beat, then they should honour it. Okay it may only have been £20, but it's £20 better off in your pocket!
Thanks for the replies everyone

But before this gets too heated i have now booked with relaxabroad as the cheaper option. £20 to us is £20 that can be put towards our airport car parking or taxis.

Believe me if relaxabroad dont come up to scratch i will be on here and letting you all know!!! (but so far,so good!) :wink:

fatcodycat 8)
There is another explanation that seems to have been overlooked. Each of these companies individually negotiates a price with airlines and hotels. They do not all pay the same price.

You have said that you have Four companies who are cheaper - have you considered that WSH may simply be unable to match? That the prices they pay are more than the other companies you quote.

The internet has a plus side; we are able to shop round far easier. It also has a negative side for some companies. There will always be someone cheaper.

fwh
:D Got to agree with you there, - you will always find a cheaper quote, no matter if it's for a holiday or a hoover :lol: !

If WSH had have matched the price, it would have probably been less than the 8% loyalty discount they give, to other customers who have booked before.

Mow your hol has been booked - Have a great time, and it may be worth checking the following link out for future holidays,(if you haven't already) this compares prices with around 20 companies, and gives you the best prices, in order, of the lowest quote.

http://www.hotelscomparison.com/
I have always found http://www.findmeaccom.com to come out much cheaper than WSH.
The worst part of being a travel agent is dealing with people walking in looking for price-matches and price beats - one of the reasons i decided to chuck it after many years!!
:D Hi Scotlad - You can't blame them though can you? - most people want the best possible deal, and they will shop around until they find it! Especially if the company is advertising that they won't be beaten on price, etc.. etc...

Just a quick example - I found an online price with thomson, (They were offering £120 off all hols one weekend a few weeks back), this was in store, and online, plus I also knew of promotional code, which could be entered on line which deducted an extra £50, so printed it off, and took quote to local thomsons in town. Whilst waiting in the queue, I must have heard "If you see another of our holidays advertised cheaper, then we will match it", about 5 or 6 times. (Plus there were leaflets all over the walls - advertising this). Showed the girl my quote, asked her if she could match the price, her response "I'm sorry we just can't do it for that price, blah, blah.........". to cut a long story short, and after speaking(Arguing) with the manager for a while,(Who was also agreeing that it couldn't be done at the price I had been quoted) I pointed out that it was false advertising, and that I would take the matter further,etc.... , only then did he agree to match the price (Very begrudgingly).

I can understand (In a way), what you are saying scotlad, especially if your company didn't advertise that they priced matched/beat. Personally I only ask at thomsons, as they state they won't be beaten on the price of their own holidays!

After all - "If you don't ask, - you don't get!" :wink:

Regards, BBB

Regards, BBB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.