General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Winter Sunshine
10 Posts
Eygpt Red Sea,only 30mins longer flight.
You could try cape verde islands will be the warmest out of all of them but the flight is 6hrs. The islands are off the west coast of africa about as far south as gambia. The temps range between on average 77f to 82f quite a bit warmer than the canaries and egypt

Failing that egypt is you best bet The red sea area the temps on average are mid 60's to mid 70's but can get upto low 80's on the odd day. The canary islands have similar temps as egypt being the same distance south.

The warmest place is cape verde islands, thomson has the island of sal in their brochure. Some independents also do cape verde islands.

This link is to the monthly weather in cape verde for January. you can also look at other years by changing the year and clicking on go, which will give you a good average for the type of weather to expect.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/GVAC/2007/1/13/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Canary Island Lanzarote

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/GCRR/2007/1/13/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Sharm red sea

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/HESH/2007/1/13/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA
:D Tenerife, or Gran canaria?
We went to Tunisia in April a couple of years ago and wished we had gone to the Canaries or Egypt instead. It was warmish (around 70) but not as warm as we would have liked. I imagine it would have been distinctly cooler in January!
:D You cant go wrong with the canaries, more or less the same temperature all year round!

I would suggest gran canaria, if you have teenager's are we found the entertainment better for them during the day and night!

Enjoy!

Belly.
If you want hot weather then its cape verde. The canaries are on average is 20c 68f in january compared to a average for cape verde of 27c 81f. If I wanted just a weeks winter sun I know where I would choose. I will have try sal one january to get away from our horrible damp and cold weather.

I have been to the canaries in the january even though it was pleasant to sit out in the sun but it was not warm enough for swimming with a high of 70f. and evening and nights quite chilly as well, sun sets around 6pm and as so as it sets if starts to feeling chilly. The cape verde lows are are what highs are for canaries. Highs 80f low 70f will mean the evenings will be warm.
Fairly good chance of seeing rain in the Canaries at that time of year :wink: Have a look at THIS topic for further weather links.

Pippy :D
Thank you for your replies.

I think we will go to the Canaries, as my sister has just finished chemotherapy and probably won't be able to have the injections, I've heard we'll have to have.

Just got to find a good hotel and flights on the 5th Jan now, as this is the only week we can go.

Jane
I don't want to worry you Jane, but make sure you can get affordable insurance for your sister before you book anything.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.