Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Kazee, thank you for the info. Its not a macho thing with me - i dont mind admitting i am s**t scared of fairground rides & regularly refuse to go on with my 13 year old daughter. I think i may well change my view should i be unfortunate enough as to experience an earth movement while i am there. I suppose its a bit like if you are flying and theres an emergency - you wouldnt panic unless the cabin crew did! I suppose you wouldnt panic in an earthquake unless the locals did!!
I am just back from 2 weeks in Zante and in that time experienced two small tremors, the second of which was 3.4 on the Richter scale and the epicentre of which was in Petra - about 1.5 hours away by boat. I was well aware that the area is subject to a high level of seismic activity, and was not the least perturbed by the experience. I was speaking to a local ex-pat who told me that there is an average of 12 tremors per day (although most can only be detected by seismograph) and that recently there were 34 tremors in a single day. For people to say that their holiday was ruined by such an experience simply demonstrates blind ignorance - both of science in general and of the fact that in an area of high seismic activity the buildings will be constructed to a suitable standard.
SouthparkLad
Are you 100% sure that ALL the buildings in ALL the towns and villages on Zante are currently constructed to a standard that will withstand seismic activity?

I know that there are regulations for new buildings nowadays but I'm not convinced that this will cover every building currently erected on Zante.

We have experienced a minor tremor whilst in Zante (Tsilivi) - it shook the ground and tipped over tables.
It did not ruin our holiday but I can understand how some people would be very worried and maybe even frightened at such an experience.

Everyone feels things differently and views things differently - I don't think this
simply demonstrates blind ignorance

Some people would not have travelled to New York shortly after 11 th Sept 2001, others may have cancelled holidays to the Red Sea or Bali after the bombings. It's a personal choice.

Telboy
I hope you hae a great holiday - with or without any earthquakes.

Polly
Hi Southparklad....

I was well aware that the area is subject to a high level of seismic activity, and was not the least perturbed by the experience.

With the recorded history of seismic events over the last 100 years you rightly shouldnt have been woried with the Minor Tremors.. Above magnitude 4 though its a different story...
http://www.fort-delce.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ht-photos/risk5.gif

But as the earthquake last year was above 5.5 the holidaymakers there experienced something totally different to what you experienced. Each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude as an estimate of energy, each whole number step in the magnitude scale corresponds to the release of about 31 times more energy than the amount associated with the preceding whole number value.

There is also the intensity of an earthquake which is the effects observed of ground shaking, on people, buildings, and natural features. It varies from place to place within the disturbed region depending on the location of the observer with respect to the earthquake epicenter.

Paul..
On reading some comments I find it rather amusing that because of the earthquakes on the 2nd half of my holiday I personally feel it ruined the remainder that I am classes as blind and ignorant.

Firstly this was my 2nd visit to Zante in 2 years and have previously experienced tremours of 3.5 mag and 4.0 mag.

There is a vast difference between 3.5 and 6.5 as someone kindly has
already replied.

3.5 to 4.0 is classed as mild, therefore the effect is slight, just a mild rumbling (almost like hearing distance thunder) and the ground shudders gently.

These happen on the Island very frequently and have to say never previously has it caused any alarm.

3 hit in one evening, 6.5,5.7,5.4! plus many aftershock, now this is a totalling difference experience, I was convinced from the noise and the building swaying that an aeroplane had hit us!

That is excalty how it felt.

I do wish that people that havent experience such force and terror would simply except that until you have been in a situation of the same, you really have no comprehension of how it is and it effect you.
Hi jlangley
I agree with you - as I hope my earlier post indicated.

If you say it ruined your holiday, then it did!
I don't think this can be classed as
blind ignorance

It might not have ruined someone else's holiday, but we all have different views of things.

Polly
Thank you so very much pretty polly cat, Jlangley and nut magnet. I thought have I gone over the top and quite frankly no I have not, I never want to experience that again :(

Without reiterating all your views, just to read someone speaking sense.
Sorry there is NO comparison with little judders to the violent shakes of last October.

I agree that since the 1953 earthquake that struck Zante, building regulations were put into place. However, that does not stop cracks on buildings, things crashing to the ground and damage to internal furniture eg crocks and ornaments.

Although I absolutely :swear myself once the juddering started, it was without a doubt waiting for the unknown.

We sat at the table, just ordered a meal and heard a loud rumbling sound (like a train coming through). Next thing glasses started to shake, we were told to get from under the building, we stood by the pool and saw 2ft waves, yes that big as they were right over the pool.
All I can remember was observing the ground awaiting for the tiles around the pool to crack and what next......

The hotelier stated in 8 years of being there she had never witnessed anything like that and stressed and by the end of our holiday she was unsure whether or not she wanted to continue residing in Greece. 11 tremors in 5 days was heart rendering (IMHO)

But hey, all you holiday makers who are not phased by such an experience like this, I do not mean little judders, I mean the people who were there in October and returning back to Zante, I wish you all sincerely a fab holiday.

Further, may I stress to people not to let it put you off ever visiting Zante as you may be tremor free :roll: you do not know until you go.

kind regards HT members

Kazee :ghug
Booked to go to Zante in sept. 2 weeks ago recomended by the travel agent, didn't even think about the possibility of earth quakes.
Now i'm happy to go because i believe in what will be will be, but we are going with friends this year and i know if we get a quack my wife and my friends wife will be really really scared.
Now do i tell them about the possibilities of a quack or do i just get on with it and say nothing.
If i do tell them and they want to go somewhere else what is my chance's of changing my holiday (booked with thomsons).
Hi Vinny

It is your choice whether or not you change your holiday, but in my opinion you must inform your wife of the seismic activity of the Ionian isalnds, so if she feels a judder she will know what it is.
I hope you do not have a quake like we felt, but the aftershocks were not that bad, just little judders.

Good luck

Kazee :wink:
hi vinny it is your choice but don't let this scare you just mention that they get a few tremoures but hey its nothing last year when i was in turkey we had a big tremour only lasted a few seconds our friend who is turkish laught at us said it was way of life and why should a desaster happen because were there you will fined the same on many of the greek islands there all together and millions still go to kefalonia and corfu etc i'am booked to go to kalamaki ...bring it on ps most probably not feel the shakes after a few beers all day. :glynis tell your wife now or it will be on your mind ..if you go have a goodin.
Havent been in this topic for a little while (my posts are on the first 5 pages or so). I am still astonished by the suprise that people seem to still be having about Zante being on a fault, its documented in practically all of the travel guides, furthermore, practically all the brochures mention the quake in the 1950s....if somewhere has had one quake it will have more!!!

I have to agree with some of the other less fearful people here, ultimately the country suffers quakes, tremors etc, on varying degrees....if you dont like it then dont go there, and if you do go be prepared to experience one of natures activities. It wont stop happening, its a fact of life. Science dictates it......no amount of complaining or worrying will stop it, infact it will just make you more worried you should be there when a quake/tremor strikes. Yes, tragedy can occur, but to be fair you could say the same about crossin a road...then none of us would go anywhere would we?! :)
this topic has run itself round in circles and back so i will now lock it

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.