Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Doesn't Zante have a long history of earthquakes --- why ZanteTown was rebuilt years ago I think... dont think they have had a major one since then. Having said that I know Crete felt one a couple of years ago and then with the recent one last week being felt in most of the Greek Islands, 6.9 in Crete and Corfu and my friend had to run outside as the buildings were shaking and the windows were rattling very badly. Seems like they have them more than usual, or we get to know about them more quickly because of the media and internet.
Doesn't Zante have a long history of earthquakes --- why ZanteTown was rebuilt years ago I think... dont think they have had a major one since then. Having said that I know Crete felt one a couple of years ago and then with the recent one last week being felt in most of the Greek Islands, 6.9 in Crete and Corfu and my friend had to run outside as the buildings were shaking and the windows were rattling very badly. Seems like they have them more than usual, or we get to know about them more quickly because of the media and internet.

The 11 earthquakes in zante between 18th october and 22nd october 05 were all reported as major on the seismolgical station web site http://lemnos.geo.auth.gr/the_seisnet/ATLAS/web/majorquakes_en.htm
and they were between 4.7 and 6.7
Malcb, you seem rather concerned that people dont beleive you that your earthquakes were major. We all appreciate what they rated on the scale, and the amount of upset they caused yourself and many others. Just for your peace of mind, so you dont have to keep reiterating its scale, I think people are referring to a major earthquake as one that causes serious damage and injury. That of course is not to say that those you mention are not major, but just that people may be categorising them differently
Hey Mal :)

Did you get any damage in your apartment/room :?:

We had very little, the light above one of the beds fell off and a bowl went off the side of the sink. :roll: The wardrobe door ended up a bit warped as the doors were open when the quake hit but nothing major! :?

For anyone who has never experienced anything like it, it was amazing when you think back :!: I don't ever want to be caught in one again but it was quite an experience :!:

I wonder if it had felt so bad if we had been outside when it happened :?:
Or is that worse :?: :?:
we had no damage to things in our room. we wondered why things like the television were strapped down, now we know why. Sister in law had things fall off shelf in her room and they said they could of nicked a dinner from the hotel next door the way the hotel was swaying. There was a bit of damage in reception/dining area, glasses and bottles broke, we also saw some cracks in the pillers,
like you say its an experience but something i would not like to go through again
We were in Zanti during the Earthquake,not nice.I have never been so frightened in my life it upset my wife and daughter and they are still nervours at certain noises.

For those who think it was exiting? think again when you are in a building that sways back and forth by 1metre and a solid mable floor starts to ripple then i call that major and not at all exiting.A lot of the Greek staff were as frightend as we were.

The October Earthquake was close in size as the one in 1953 but the buildings are built to withstand it.
I did quite a lot of research on Zante before i made the booking for my holiday in August last year. Since then i have done more research and have only just found out about the earthquakes. My guide books mentions the one in 1953 but that is all. It gives the impression that this was a one off. I did not realise that they happen all the time, this is the first information i have found on them after 5 months of gathering information!! I am now REALLY worried about going. Are all the hotels and buildings quake proof? I think that the brouchures should mention the quakes, i would never have booked if i'd known.
What are you supposed to do when an earthquake happens?

Sharon and Dennis never mentioned it when they went to Zante a few months ago, or did they not go in the end?!?!?!?!?! :lol:
our hotel was built to withstand a 10, the october earthquakes were between 4.7 and 6.2 and the only damage we could see were cracks in the pillers. The hotel management have certain points in the hotel to check after a quake.
the first thing to remember when a quake strikes is not to ask a rep for any advise, thats if you can find one as they seem to go into hiding. Do not panic during a quake, i know that is had to do but its for the best, go to the nearest doorway and stand in it, after the quake has setteled go to the reception area where hotel staff are meant to give you instructions if you need to evacuate the building.
I had to find this advise out for myself as there were no reps to ask and the 24hr helpline do not want to know. Greece seems to be having a lot of quakes, only a couple of weeks ago central Greece had a larger quake than the ones we had in october.

Only found out today that last week there was an earth tremor 5 miles from where we live, only a small one but its enough to start my partner panicing again
There is advice on these websites as to what to do when and after an earthquake happens (Note that outdoor doorways should not be stood underneath)
http://www.uaf.edu/seagrant/earthquake/prepare2.html
http://losangeles.about.com/cs/cityinfo/qt/earthquakeplan.htm
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/bda.html
Hope this helps people :D
my last post was what to do if you were in your hotel, so standing in a doorway would be correct

If you're indoors, stand against a wall near the center of the building, stand in a doorway, or crawl under heavy furniture (a desk or table). Stay away from windows

sorry if it was not made clear
I did not realise that they happen all the time

Plumbblonde, earthquakes don't happen all the time in Greece, there may be a larger than usual earthquake in one part of Greece every few years and this will be followed in the area by smaller aftershocks continually decreasing in size, these aftershocks may continue for a couple of weeks after the initial quake.
In parts of Greece as in many other areas of the world that sit on fault zones there may be many very small tremors every year that pass with barely a mention as they are such a common occurance, it is only when the larger one happens that it is reported or causes concern.

The chances of a big earthquake are tiny, so go and enjoy yourself.
Dont let this forum put you off, read all the excellent reviews that are on here not just for Zakynthos (Zante) but for the whole of Greece :sun
Big thank you to all of you for your advice. I guess if your times up its up so i wont be cancelling my holiday but i am still very nervous!! It s really just common sense what you should do in a quake but i am very reassured knowing that i was on the right track.

These quakes dont seem to be reported on the news is there anywhere i can find out if there are any more?

Thanks again :wink:
Plumbblonde

You would be shocked if you knew how many earthquakes there are worldwide everyday

Most are so small you would barely notice, so honestly don't worry about them or let them spoil your holiday.

You will have a great time in Zakynthos

If you really want to know how many earthquakes there are look here

Graham 8)
I agree with Graham, really dont let it spoil your holiday. Zakynthos is a wonderful place, with wonderful people and wonderful scenery. I have been there 3 or 4 times now and only ever experienced one earthquake. If it happens it happens, you cant do anything about it, so just enjoy your holiday. There really are so many things to see and do out there its pointless letting it bothering you, go and enjoy! Im envious, Id love to go back......such a lovely place! :D
:o :? I can't believe that earthquake map on the link!! I am shocked that there are so many.
I feel a bit silly that i didn't know more about earthquakes. :oops: Didn't pay enough attention at school!!

I actually feel much better about it now and am back to looking forward to my holiday instead of dreading it.
Thanks so much for your help :wink:
Hi, :) My husband, son and myself were also staying at Zante when the earthquake came, I too was frightened. However, we are going to Spain in the summer and the place we are going to has also had tremors. We have booked to go the Dominican Republic next year and guess what in 2003 the place we are going also had an earthquake at 6.5. I think with climate changes and natural disasters all over the world if we dwell on them we would not go anywhere. Plumbblonde you must go to Greece and have a fantastic time.
:roll: The first year we went to Kos was in august (lovely and hot) they had all the rain and flooding and houses being swept away in Cornwall. People lost their homes and their lives. I would have put money on the fact you would be safe and sound in good old british cornwall in the hight of the british summer.
We are in Zante this July and i for one cannot wait.
Well I am not letting the earthquake last year put me off :x - I have now booked to go to Corfu later this year. :D
I have read up on Corfu and it said it completely missed the 1953 quake :!: :D
Also, if you notice that Corfu has a lot of older buildings and history so I feel okay about going. :wink:
I still think about how the earthquake started and often finding myself almost waiting for one to occur now! I work in a large building next to the main train station and sometimes when the trains are chugging through, it does startle me a little :!: :oops:
Hi Tipsyletti, I fully understand how you feel I still think sometimes I can feel tremors, but obviously it is in my head. :? I hope. I feel now that I will not take anything for granted regarding quakes. It shook me up more than my husband and he considers we were lucky to be part of that and no-one was injured. :o though due to the scale of it.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.