Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
you are comparing the two acts of god. However what happened in cancuun is on a complete different level to that of zantes. zantes was an act of god and you will get no refund. you were able to stay in your hotel and were in no imminent danger. just get over it
some of you on here make me laugh, i bet none of you have been in a earthquake of that size and i bet you would be one of the first out of the door. as for reading up on a holiday resort before booking, i have a life and it does not involve sticking my nose in a reference book 24/7.
i went on holiday to enjoy myself and that is what i could not do, first choice should put customers saftey first, they have reps on the island who talk to the locals, they knew a big one was coming because it had been quiet for a couple of months. first choice knew a lot of customers did not feel safe on the island and after the first couple of quakes they should of got us off the island but left us to suffer 11 in total. there was 8 people in our hotel that paid well over the top to leave early and we met many more on the sunday from other tour operators who were fearing for their lives and cut short their holiday, i over heard a rep at the airport on sunday saying they had emergency plans in place for the following week just in case of a big quake, too late for the people that suffered the 6.3 and could not sleep or eat and jumped at the slightest bang. first choice like other operators fell down on after care and for that they will pay. its best you experience an earthquake of that size before you make comments.
If you think you have a case stop whining and start legal proceedings. I have had to sue twice (successfully) when tour operators have failed to deliver but in your case I think you are on a loser, sorry.
I have no intention of getting a full refund or any sort of compensation from my tour operator, as I myself know that i can not claim for something which was an act of god. i am just glad that my family are safe, and I have never been so pleased to be back home from a holiday. I can understand how you feel malcb as everytime I hear a rumble my heart goes. my mum has told me she was frightened to go to the room on her own whilst we were there, in fear of something happening to myself or her grandchildren. Everyone in our hotel was nervous, and could not wait to get home.
I am so angry that the tour operators were aware that something might happen, the people arriving at our hotel on the friday were not told of the previous days events and were promptly treated to a new kind of welcome meeting... another earthquake!!!! .
I have totally lost faith in tour operators and there useless band of reps. All they care about is raking in the profits from overpriced holidays and trips.. What has happened to customer care :?:
excuse me??? I have experienced earthquakes and have been caught in a hurricane and trapped in the middle of a forest fire. you are not the only person in this world to have experienced acts of god you know.

how about a holiday in cornwall then next year. oh and we dont stick our nose's in a book 24/7, its called being cultured something you are clearly not.
CALM DOWN please -- remember the terms and conditions of the site

wizard
I am so angry that the tour operators were aware that something might happen, the people arriving at our hotel on the friday were not told of the previous days events and were promptly treated to a new kind of welcome meeting... another earthquake!!!! .
I have totally lost faith in tour operators and there useless band of reps. All they care about is raking in the profits from overpriced holidays and trips.. What has happened to customer care

that was my whole point,once the tour operators had got you on the island the customer care went out the window.
i had no intention of claiming a refund at first but the more i have found out the more i get angry, we got no advice or help from our tour operator after the first quake and did not see our rep much during the next 5 days. one quake you might be able to deal with but 11 not knowing if the next one is going to be bigger than the last thats going too far without any advice from the tour operators.
there has not been another quake on the island since 23/10.
I know no-one had put a post in this section for ages, but I have just read it with much interest. I have been to Zante 3 times, and on one occassion I have experienced an earthquake/tremor there. I think it was in 1998, and it measured 6.2. The day before the sea became rough, and there was a general change of atmosphere on the island. Then it happened, and yeah its pretty scary if you dont know whats going on.....but rather intruiging!!! As people have said before, what a privelege to have been able to sit through an earthquake unhurt. What amazing things our planet does, and people who have written here got to experience it with minimal consequences!!!

As people have said, it is well documented about greece and its earthquakes, the country and its island sit right on a fault so of course there will be some activity.

I think that the fact that Zante has earthquakes makes the holiday all the more intriguing. I do of course appreciate that one day there may well be dire consequences, and that really is an unpleasant thought. But lets just be greatful that we had the opportunity to see, feel, and hear nature in action!!!
Malc, chill out lad :wink: we all can understand how you and the kids must have felt. I've been in an earquake on Crete, albeit not as strong as yours, must remember to take the missus back to Zante, she needs to lose a bit of weight. :D
Malc
i have spoken to lots of people over the past few days and not one reads up on there holiday resort before going away

I'm amazed!! :shock: Anywhere we go I read up on it all, its a must.
I too am amazed no one reads up on where they intend to spend there hard earned holiday. When I decide to travel I cant wait to find out about where I invest my hard earned cash. Am going back to Zante in 2006 hope to lose lots of weight too. Must be the best diet ever! I put some on last time I was there.
Certain parts of Greece have been known for earthquakes, witnessed many tremors some worse than others get so relaxed there some have even slept through, never known the earth to tremble for me like a tremour.
:shock: we were on zante on 18-10-05
the hotel was shaking all over and people were running around (locals)
shelves in the shops were turned over
the quakes kept on happening for the next 12 days
some people returned home after just 1 day
it was very-very frightening
all this started on our 2nd day the first day we were moved hotel from laganas because it was totally unsuitable 18-30 type and we had our parents with us who are 70 yrs young. we were told that it would be ok that time of the year.
i`m afraid not so the hotel was not what i would call a hotel and the town was virtually deserted.
the hotel we were moved to in kalamaki was good, however it cost us an extra 180 euros to move and we had to find our own way there, unfortunatelly we were nearly the only people left in the hotel by the end of the holiday 30th oct 05 there was only about 8 guests left and us.
the town had all but closed completely and we found it hard to get a decent restaurant during the last few days as they had all closed along with most of the shops.
to top it off we were plagued by flies all the holiday, not just one or two, but millions of them all the time and everywhere you went.
i think the tour operators should warn tourists about this especially the quakes
  • Edited by Mels 2005-12-31 14:32:29
Mel did you read up on your holiday before you booked because a lot of people on here say we should of.
its now been 2mths since our holiday of hell and my partner is still suffering.
how many people read about the holiday other than look in the brochure.
we thought the tour rep should have known what she was on about, in our case i dont think they did or they just wanted the sale.
all our rep was intrested in was getting people to book trips from him, even the morning after the first quakes he did not want to know the guests concerns he just wanted to get on with another welcome meeting. i have been on to our tour operator about our holiday and all they have said is they have noted our concerns, so now i am looking at taking legal action because they are responsible for our saftey, we did not feel safe and we told them that 30mins after the first quake.
They knew that the island was due a big quake and that it was expected soon so they should of warned us
They knew that the island was due a big quake and that it was expected soon so they should of warned us

Nobody knows when or where an earthquake will happen.

A simple bit of pre-planning about your destination would have informed you that Greece suffers from the occasional earthquake.
so you call 11 earthquakes in 5 days occasional. dont make me laugh.
i know you cant say when a quake will happen but the rep at the airport told us they were expecting a quake because there had been no tremors for a couple of months, so they were expecting it and guessed it was going to be a big one.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.