Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
within mins of the second quake my partner was on the phone to the 24hr emergency helpline who told her to see the rep in the morning, no advice on what to do or how to keep safe. the next morning ,after more quakes through the night, there was lots of guests waiting for the rep, the only advice he gave all of us was to contact other tour operators to see if they had empty seats on their planes back to uk. when we contacted them they gave us over inflated prices for each seat, all they want to do is get as much money as possible out of you.
i`m just putting it down to experience now
something to talk about in the pub
but i do still agree tourists should be made aware by the tour operators before booking so they know what they might expect
i also think that information should be at hand at the resort in times of need.
one of the last messages said you can not compare it with cancoon and earthquakes cannot be predicted
my message to him/her is that one day it could be as big and a little prior knowledge just might save somebodys life

edit to remove bold see terms and conditions
wizard
OK - I've been watching this thread since October :( . Ye, it must have been scary for you BUT, you have a duty of care for yourselves! I have been going to Greece for 20 years, my first visit was to Zante and (this was before many travel guides were available), the first thing I read in my research was that "Zante Town was sympathetically built after a major eartquake in 1953" (or words to that effect.)

I ALWAYS try to protect myself as much as possible - don't rely on others, it could cost you your life - don't drink alcohol before or during flying, you might need your wits about you; watch the safety display by the attendants - knowing where the exits are could be vital; read up on your destination....are there dangerous currents offshore? Any scams?

As I said, I sympathise that you were scared but you do need to take responsibility for your own safety. The reps may not have been helpful - (in case you think that I've never been in the position of needing a rep's assistance -on my 2nd visit to Greece, my father died while I was there, I locked myself out of my room (being a little distracted by this news) couldn't find a sober rep, the ones I did find said said "Tough" (literally) so I had to traipse aroud the resort looking for the room owner.) but to be quite honest the reps attitude and lack of help are the least of your worries in these situations - you need to be able to fend for yourself.

I believe a similar problem with reps in an emergency occurred in Samos in 2000 - mostly they are not trained to cope with a major emergency.
I agree with the previous writer, you have to take responsibility for yourself. I find it incredible that people dont find out more about where they are going. And as said by other people, even reading a little about the history of Zante reveals the risk of earthquakes. If somewhere has experienced one earthquake it is on a fault....so expect more!!!!!
Im sorry that people have had horrible experiences, the lesson learnt is to read up on your destination before you go there.....take some responsibility!, the brochures are trying to sell you the place, of course they wont tell you anything that may threaten the popularity of a place!. And regarding the leagal action, have you checked the small print from the brochures....I think you'll find that most tour operators (and insurance companies) will not take any responsibility for natural disasters.
i do have a duty of care for my family and myself, i found out as much information as i could about what to do in a earthquake to stay safe. i did know about the 1953 earthquake but did not know about the regular tremors and earthquakes the island suffers.
When you book a holiday to somewhere that has hurricanes you are warned about them by the tour operator so it is down to you if you book to go there, they should do the same with somewhere like zante, warn you that the island is on a fault line and it does have tremors and quakes.

1 major earthquake is bad enough but to leave us to suffer 11 in 5 days, and yes they were major earthquakes because we have checked the Seismological Station for Greece. the tour operator has a duty of care, so they should of helped us get off the island and not left us to suffer. There were many guests in our hotel wanting to get home to saftey and hundreds of others around the island that wanted help to get home but all the tour operators wanted to do is make you pay well over the top for seats.
Some of you say i should of read up on the resort, i do not know anybody that reads up about the resort they are going to before they book. I have even asked people that have been to zante and they knew nothing about quakes, staff in holiday shops and telesales for holiday firms say the island does not suffer from quakes and are surprised when you tell them it does.
I am not denying that the earthquakes you experienced were big. As I have said previously I experienced on measuring 6.2 there, and aqcuired a degree of injury (rather winded and a huge bruise on my back....along with a slight headache - that'll teach me to sit against an apartment wall during an earthquake!!- not nice when it throws you forward and back again so hard!!!). I dont know, maybe Im too laid back about it, but at least no one suffered sever injury or tragedy like that experienced in asia for example. Theres also the thought that maybe the tour reps were worried, and maybe not trained to deal with such a situation.....the tour operator(s) can learn from your experience and maybe take the opportunity to train their staff appropriately. Personally though, I do feel that you will struggle with a legal case against the tour reps. If it was that unsafe for you to be there they would have moved you :?
bubblegirl has reiterated a point I made a long time ago in this thread. If there had been genuine worries and concerns regarding the personal safety of people on the island during this particular period, the island would have been evacuated by the Greek government. Plus the Foreign Office would have advised travellers not to go there. Neither of these things happened, which suggests to me that there was no real peril albeit there were minor concerns.

As for getting compensation, I would be very interested in hearing what the outcome of this is because to be honest, in my view, I don't think you will get any. Maybe I will be proved wrong!
Hi
my partner and I were in Kalamaki in our 1st floor apartment when the earthquake happened. :shock:
It was my partners first trip abroad although I have been visiting Greek Islands including Zante for the past 15 years, in all those years I had never even felt a small tremour. :D
Yes it was very frightening, I knew about the 1953 earthquake and the history but unless you experience this, you will never know what it felt like. :( Once the initial quake had stopped, everyone gathered downstairs in the taverna, there were women crying and even the men were shocked. We just didn't expect it to happen. :shock: My own recollections are of the mirror tapping on the wall and then what I would describe as an almighty crack! :shock: :shock: The mirror went on to end up tapping furiously, the apartment door shaking and rattling violently and the double wardrobe with its doors flung open jumping around.
I am hoping to visit Corfu this year, :? although we are still a little bit apprehensive. As previous posts have said, we too did not sleep properly until we left Zante, we laid on the beds fully clothed with our shoes at the door! Laughable now but we really were shaken! :lol:
Once I had returned to the UK, I did write to our holiday company to thank them for a wonderful holiday :) and just made a suggestion that they maybe should mention what to do in the exceptional case of an earthquake as I do remember shouting at my partner asking what we should do? We just didn't know, :oops: I do now as I have looked it up! Anyway my holiday company were brilliant as I did state that I was not complaining in any way about our holiday service. They have offered us £40 off our next holiday, I so want to go but am so afraid that I will spend the whole fortnight just waiting for an earthquake to happen. :cry:
I can understand everyone who has posted to say they are still suffering from it as I have flash-backs, I do not like to think too deeply about it all!
Hello All,

I went to Kefalonia in September (next to Zante) and we experienced a few rumbles and they were a little frightening. I haven't experienced anythin like this on all my travels except a small tremmer in Turkey back in 1996. From what I heard in Kefalonia, a big quake was overdue as they apparently have a 50 year cycle. This didn't bother me as i had knowledge of earthquakes in the area anyway but I was staying in Sami and there is a tourist attraction called ancient sami which was destroyed in the 1953 earthquake. After experiencing the tremmers and visiting the destruction of the 1953, it does unnerve you a little.

For those who were frightened in Zante all I can say is alls well that ends well. I wouldn't let it stop you visiting Greece again as its a beautiful country with excellent people and every where has its downside but Greece has many positives.

Take care

:P
Now its all calmed down, can I just second kastrofatal and please dont be put off going to Greece.I have been going there for years,have experienced the odd rumble and even a twister off Stoupa bay which took the roof off a taverna!Earthquakes are always possible but so are a lot of dangers,be it act of god or man! The point made was about the lack of info forthcoming from the reps and I think you should complain so the companies can address it and prepare their reps,after all they want your custom,goodluck and happy holidays to all
BW DL1
The point made was about the lack of info forthcoming from the reps and I think you should complain so the companies can address it and prepare their reps,after all they want your custom,

this has been my point all along, i wanted to warn people that the island does suffer earthquakes and also to warn that the reps are no help at all
:o As I previously said, I did write to our company, not to complain but with the suggestion that they mention that they do occasionally occur. :idea:
Although they were good in answering me and offering £40 off our next holiday, they said that they did not have room in the brochure for it! :roll:
I do believe they think it would actually frighten people. :evil: But if you know what to do in the case you happen to be caught in one, I don't think it would frighten you so much! :?
I have decided, it is definately Corfu this year! :D :D Although I really don't want another earthquake please!! :cry:
I think its all character building! and what an interesting conversation to have over dinner! :lol:
Nothing except poor health will stop me visiting Greece, I/we love the people and the islands. :wink:
I think its all character building !

Sorts the men from the boys eh :wink:
Great last year we went to sharm and had to brave the aftermarth of the bombs. This year we are going to Zante and i never knew they had earthquakes :shock: (dont think i will mention it to my parents) We have been to Kos twice before and been ok, so i will just keep my fingers crossed. :D
There was a large earthquake today 6.9 felt all over greece, likewise one off cephalonia yesterday.

If you look at the eathquake map for Europe mentioned earlier in this thread - you can see Greece has more than its fair share see http://www.emsc-csem.org/cgi-bin/ALERT_recent_earthquakes.sh
How exciting Naughty. Were you there? Thats a pretty impressive quake. im suprised it doesnt make the news. Mind you I guess it would be featuring so often. I wish I had been there to experience it...hope no one got hurt though. How fascinating :D
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.