Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Thanks Kim
I'll leave my beach towels at home then, the suitcase will be a bit lighter, on the way there anyway :!:
Have just booked for June 2008 with Portland.Cost £1550 for myself,my wife and grandaughter flying from Manchester,including in flight meals and pre booked seats.Received £60 discount and free child place which i thought was ok.

regards

sharpy
Kim - do you need ID to gain access to ADR? Can you get access along beach? Going on friday
Are you going to the ADR?
Are you concerned about security, I'm thinking children?
Kim - yes thinking kids. Isn't a problem for me - we've been to Turkey 3 times and feel much safer than home but clearly in light of current events thought it prudent to check.
Ok, its a bit hard to explain, but I will have a go.
You can't really walk along the beach to get into the resort, there is a big hotel next door (going towards town) La Blanche & they also have a private beach & are beachfront. BUT they have a kinda raised promenade that leads into town one way & the ADR the other, & you can't get off the promanade to their hotel without going through their security, little gated afair & because its raised its above the beach & is too high to jump down.
Now there is no security or barriers between the ADR & this raised promenade into town now but I did hear someone say they do it in the high season. We had no wrist bands or identification but again, I heard someone say they do it in high season.
The actual beach between the two are blocked with a shop (always closed), so no worries there.
The other side, we never actually tried to walk out that way so I can't say. To the back there is a security guard on a gate, no ID asked for, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let a young child walk past.
There is also a walkway down the side of the hotel to the main enterance & the road at the front.
So all in all, NO high security, I'm sorry to say (for those with young children), but I'm sure you will be watching them like a hawk anyway.
It sounds open & exposed, & in a way it is, but its kinda the last big hotel, any thing after it looks small & pretty empty.
So it didn't feel exposed & like anyone could be walking through. Most of the familes are around the pool, because of the activites.
Actually to the side is a big childrens play area, all grassed & gardened. They have the pool with slides here & a huge shaded pergola (if a pergola was to have a top) type thing for the kids club. So its open but got a top on it. There are nice sunbeds for the parents.
One thing I didn't like for those with young kids was the stray dogs that walk along the beach during the day. Saying that they did seem very docile, but they did bark at each other, but I never seen them bark at a person. They hang around because people feed them.
They guy who drives the speed boat take one out water ski-ing some eveings, YES YOU DID READ RIGHT!!! But on a little solo board, not twin skis!!! But they might be chased off by the time you get there.
Don't forget the bar-b-q chef in the main restaurant (lunch & dinner), away from the restaurant, follow the smoke, lol.
Its really nice you will have a great time & so will your kids.
Hi Kim
I saw the waterskiing dog on YouTube!
How long does it take to walk into Turgutreis centre in your experience , my plan is walk in taxi back! are there many places to stop and ook, have a drink etc on the way in?
Lally
Lally
Its not long/far into Turgutreis. My husband NEVER walks anywhere & we did it in 10 minutes (perhaps 15 if it were VERY hot or you had small children), but it's really not far. You just walk along the coast road (mostly pedestrians only, except a few bikes).

Not really much to look at till you get there. You pass the big hotel next door & then a series of smallish ones till you get to the town. One cafe/bar Cool Breezes, but they annoyed me so much the first day with their hassling I would NEVER have gone in there!!!

A tiny market comes to the hotel on Wednesday evening, but its fairy expensive comparred to the Turgutreis Saturday market.

They will give you small bottled water at ANY of the bars in the ADR to take to your room, the beach, whatever & the restaurant will give you a big bottle. They also put some in your room (but never enough), we drink loads of water.
Thanks Kim
saw what you said about a certain bar on another thread and made a mental note!
Great about the water as we all drink a lot of it , in fact apart from a rare coke its all I drink till its time to get ready for dinner - then its a different story!
youngest and myself like a stroll and would happily walk both ways into town but eldest and her shoes are another matter!
Lally
I've stayed at the Cemre hotel which is just a little further away from town than the Dream but even from there it is an easy walk. It can get dark at night and not all the path is illuminated so we always pack a small torch. I've just bought a couple of those small wind up torches from a Robert Dyas shop. They were less than a tenner for the two and you can't run out of batteries with them.
Thanks Ian - would not have taken a torch as I assumed well lit
:oops:
Lally
After reading Kim's report I have been trying to make contact with the AD to ask if it is possible to upgrade our room. To date I have sent 3 e-mails all without a reply.......am I doing something wrong? I sent the messages from their own web-site in the contact us section and also in the reservations section. Anyone got any ideas on how to get a response?

Thanks.
Kim,

I think I know that Cool Breezes bar - is it on the left just before you get to the main part. A guy who didn't quite look Turkish and spoke good English tried to lure us in there. We went once - mediocre food at a high price. Not going there again.

I prefered "Curly" in the main area. Better food at better prices.
hi ann2
i've also sent an email and had no reply.looking at their "on line enquiry service"they haven't sent any replies since mid april!Will wait in anticipation :?

regards

sharpy
Have you tried this

ali.bakir@aegeandream.com

But Ali won't be answering it, Mustafa will. Ali was in charge last year & Mustaha is now. But he answered me on Ali's email in early May 07.

What do you want to upgrade to? The jacuzzi (& sea-view) rooms or just the sea-view rooms?

Kim
Thanks for that Kim. I will e-mail this morning and see if I can any response. I want to upgrade to a jacuzzi room with sea view I think it may be worth the extra cost. Thanks again for the address.
Hi Kim,

Ali's e-mail address didn't work, mail delivery returned - any other clues?

Annie
Thats strange because that address was in use a month ago.

How about info@aegeandream.com

Kim
Hi Kim,

My second attempt did work and I got a reply from Mustafa. Thanks for that. The upgrade is costing 7 Euro a night so I have gone for it. I will report when we get back.

Thanks for your help.....you are a star.

Ann
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.