Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
AI Drinks
172 Posts
Some people have no sense, trying to get a square ice cube into a small round hole! I must admit I do take a bottle of water with me just in case, but if it's really hot it's better to just go into a local shop and get a nice cool on from the fridge.

We didn't even bother with water for the tea on this last cruise when I think about it, we just asked for ice both morning and evening and used that when it melted.

luci :wave
To add to luci's point they also "make" a lot of water on board all cruise ships. It will be chlorinated and have little or no other taste.

I tried to find some info but could only found stats for the QE2

Water Production / Consumption:
Four Serck vacuum flash evaporators, producing 250 tons each per day.
One reverse osmosis plant producing 450 tons.
Total production - 1,450 tons per day.
Consumption - about 1,000 tons per day; equivalent to 14 of the ship's swimming pools.
Windjammer - you are absolutely right. They use waste heat from the engines to distill most of the water they need.

However when they take on some water sometimes it can be bad- for example Caronia a couple of years ago took on water in some South American (I think) port and it was contaminated with e.coli and other organisms.

Unfortunately they did not turn up their chlorination and many passengers became ill.

Much safer just to drink beer on the AI plan!
I guessed the water from the machine in the Lido would not be mineral water! But i did drink it and seemed to be ok? and ive got a really sensitive stomach!

I tended to buy lots of little bottles of water when out as i do drink tons of water if its hot and like cold water, the little bottles were .70 euro, outside they were at least 1 euro - but cold.

Alison 8)
hi all,
as i read always the topic,you the passengers are concerned about the water on Lido.Don't drink it.no matter what they do with it.we as a staff never drink it.we always buy a mineral water.so for 9months contract we only drink mineral water.for you to know the water on every ship is srongly chlorinated!!!!!
but some of you are so cheap to buy a bottle of mineral water!at least safe your health.what is more important for you?
for the lady which her drink are always with water:
maybe you are having that drink for all the night!!!!you can ask for an extra measure.actually you complain for many things.better stay at home.you didn't come to enjoy yourself,you came to complain!!!!
for all the rest kisses :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yes, getting back to the AI topic, I certainly wouldn't pay £130 for it. If it was included in the price it would be fine, like for booking early. We weren't AI but I did feel on the 3 occasions I ordered drinks at the bar, the 'older people' (and thats meant nicely as I'm 27 but only look about 20) shoved/pushed in at the bar a bit.

And in the show lounge one night, there were a group of couples talking throughout the show, and they were showing off the fact that they were on AI and didn't have to pay for their drinks! Kept ordering drinks, which was annoying for us as they were sat in front of us. So in that respect, it would be better if everyone was AI, as you wouldn't get people showing off.

Thats the way I see it. The staff treat everyone the same anyway, cuz although I had people trying to push in at the bar, the bar guys knew I had been waiting longer. And they carried my drinks to the table for me!

One quick note, my BF got all the other drinks we had, some ordered at the table, others he went and got himself. So I don't know how he faired at the bar.
Interesting about all the AI included option if you booked early.
We booked late and had to pay for it , BUT we got a huge discount for booking late.......so.......at the end of the day does everybody end up paying around the same for the AI I wonder :?:

Georgi ..... We love chlorinated water mmmmmm :lol:

Another thing Georgi is the ice made from ships water or is it special water as the cubes are always so clear, anyone else noticed this ??? You try and make cubes that clear at home and you have got no chance, have a go and you will see what I mean. The only way I have managed it is by using distilled water thats been boiled to remove as much air from the water as possible and then freezing it, and even then its hit and miss it seems. Do we have a ice cube expert amoungst us :wink:

One thing that did upset both myself and the wife was when passengers seemed to treat barstaff or any member of staff on board as though they where there own personal slave :!: :!:
There are busy times at the bars and the waiters/resses where rushed off there feet, it amazed me the number of people who complianed that they had not been over to their table for 10mins to serve them or that it took 10mins for thier drink to come after ordering it, dont these people have legs :evil: :evil:
I use to go to the bar if they were busy, so the older passengers could use the waiter service, they need it :) but it was the younger 40 somethings that could be heard growling away with words like " been waiting 10mins for you " or they would call a girl over 3 mins after ordering asking what had happened to thier drink, some people eh :roll:

Chris
Remeber at some bar locations the bartender does the drinks for the servers so going to the bar take up time the tender could have been spending making up drinks for the server. A bit of catch 22.

In my experience the nicer you are with the please, thankyou's etc. is the way to get prompt service. Knowing what you want always helps since the server can be on there way to the next table quicker. Also being frienldly during the quiet times will help get your face known.
Your quite right windjammer and certainly it does not help going to the bar at certain locations on board , but even there I would wait until they had done the girls drinks and then get them to do mine, just to take the preasure off the girls a bit. God they worked hard in the rush hours.

No comments I see regarding my bit on the paying for AI booking late but getting a good discount on the whole package or booking early and getting it chucked in for free. We saved more than the AI cost by booking late .

So I wouldnt be surpised if we all end up paying about the same at the end of the day and its only the people booking late and not taking AI and then not drinking that get the real deal , but then a holiday with out booze :shock: :shock:

Fur
I agree Furbag that it's better to book late and get a discount than pay more and get the AI included. That's what we'd normally do, but the Spirit seems to really hold her prices and there aren't the huge discounts available with other operators.

However I booked for November after getting a mailshot offering approx £150 pp off the brochure price with the AI thrown in. As the AI is £130 this effectively made the cruise £370pp and I've never seen it advertised for that. Another couple decided to join us after we'd booked and they ended up paying a lot more and didn't get the AI so I think we got a good deal, although it's always a bit of a lottery.

been trying all week to get a late deal.... £800+ at weekend then today went down to £599 rang up and guess what :bhead nothing available. im now looking for sept 9th who do you think gives the best deals, thomson, fasttrack, cruise control, cruisedeals... any other suggestions :lol:
Cruise Deals/The Travel House often have exclusive offers as they are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Thomsons/TUI. They also have a "We'll beat any price" policy as does Cruise Control so you could try playing them off against each other.

It looking like the spirit will be 600+ for Sept, 500 should get a Nov with AI.

I also see that Island Escape is offering the AI option as an insentive for booking early for next year.
Going on Spirit for first cruise on 7th October. :)
Travel agents are suggesting AI drinks package. We are not hugh drinkers so not sure whether to take up option or not. Does anyone Know cost of drinks onboard?
Would usually have a couple of spirits and a bottle of wine(or TWO!) most days. Hubby drinks beer also.
Thanks Tracey
Hi Tracey

We are not big drinkers either and it wouldn't pay us to take the AI drinks package. AI passengers only get £2.00 off the price of a bottle of wine although wine by the glass is included.

Thomson Spirit Bar List at July 2004

Cocktails £2.75
Virgin Cocktails £1.60
Cruise Spirits £1.75 inc mixer
Named spirits £2.30
Malt Whisky £3.15
Tia Maria, Baileys, etc £2.35
Wine Glass £2.00
Cognac £2.50 - £4.75
Port/Sherry £2.10
Shooters £2.75

Draught Stella/Boddingtons £1.15/£2.20 half/pint
Bottled/canned beers £1.90
Bacardi Breezer/Smirnoff Ice £2.25

Fruit Juice £1.05
Canned colas, etc £0.90

Wine by the glass £2.00
Wine by the bottle £8.75 (£6.75 for AI)

Spirit measures are 40ml

HTH

* Edit to correct price of draught Stella/Boddingtons
Hi there Tracey39 :wave

Here are some prices,

Beer. Pt Boddintons £2.20
Pt Stella Artois £2.20

Spirits: Gin, Vodka,Brandy, Whiskey + Mixer average £2.30

Cocktails: £2.75, Cocktail of the day: £2.15

Wine: By the glass, Red/White/Rose/Sparkling: £2.00

AI package cost £130 each if you have to pay. If you book very early it is sometimes included as a bonus

If you are a Beer drinker only, you would need to drink ten pints a day to break even. A wine or cocktail drinker can soon break even if you consider that soft drinks, coke, fanta etc are £0.95 a can and coffee ie Espresso, Americano, Cappuchino, etc £1.10 ( You can of course get Standard coffee and tea from the lido 24/7 for free + iced water if you want it. ) Still bottled mineral water you pay for even if you are on AI

In my case I drink Red wine + Lemonade £ 2.00. Six or so in 24hrs + a fewcups of Espresso and three or four cans of pop is over £20 a day so for me it is worth it and I dont have to think about a bar bill at the end as it has been pre-paid as it were.

All in all do your sums working on £ 20 a day each to break even.

If you scroll down the topics there are a few dealing with the AI thing is it worth it or not. Basically it is up to the individual. Hope this helps.

Cheers :wave

Dave
Hi
I'm not going on the spirit but on destiny and got this AL offer free I'm not a big drinker booze wise but drink a lot of soft drinks and as was free thought was worthwhile. We went on emerald last year and spent about 300.00 on drinks for a week but we did have 1 bottle each as we like different types most evenings.
ai
Hi - I think the above says it all really. If its a 'free inclusive offer' then you can't go wrong. If you like a few cocktails by the pool, plus glasses (not bottles) of win with your meal and drinks during the evening then it is also worth it - I was sad enough to tot up our first day (I did go a bit mad on the afternoon cocktails tho) and we drew even. If thats the case, then its nice to pay up front and not have to worry about it.

Gill
I think they have the AI price about right (£100-120) they loose on the Boozy couple break even on average and there are a few that loose out. They still issue all the slips etc so can keep an eye on stock(unlike the Topaz)
(This is based on the bar tariff the stuff is close to FREE duty free really)
Anyone been on a real AI ship like Seabourn do you still have to sign.

Remember port days local bars are not AI

For us it comes down to Quantity take the AI, Quality(choice) don't.
We are moving away from AI but that is us(Gf drinks v.little).
If on a budget sneaking a sports drinks bottle round the pool or show lounge not a big problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.