Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Hi guys

just back from a four day break in Barcelona were i had my hand bag stolen from the arm of my chair without me even noticing, we were in a quiet restaurant in front of the port. We had walked for miles trying to find somewhere to eat, we settled on this little spanish place with locals in it because we were just fed up walking. We had a table INSIDE the restaurant which had locals in it but there were still plenty of empty tables around us, we ordered our food and while waiting on it i was bust looking around me when a group of older mid 50's couples walked in looking for a table for 6, i was not suspicious, but one of the ladies was very close to my table so close in fact i moved my drink in fear of her knocking it over! knocking it over was the least of my worries in fact what she had been doing was covering up taking my bag by making me worry about my drink! it was ten minutes later when i discovered my bag was gone. I had my money (approx 280euros), my new mobile phone a week old, my camera and my ipod, oh and also my passport and also my car keys!! why did i have all this in my bag? well because im stupid! didn't get round to getting the safe was more interested in eatting! i had walked around all day with my bag tightly round my shoulder accross my chest as barcelona is notorious for bag snatching etc etc! well i guess u could say my guard was dropped because i was INSIDE the restaurant which wasn't busy and i thought that it was safe enough as i would obviously see! how wrong! the worst part came when we alerted the manager to tell him what had happened we asked him to contact the police so we could report this and get some help, he told us that we would have to walk to the police station which was about 2miles walk away as the police would not come out to help!! Frustrated i wanted to take my anger out on him, i was just so mad that this had happened!! anyway after alot of fighting with him i spotted a police van i stopped them in the middle of the road they helped us as best they could they spoke to the waitress who said she knew the people who had asked for the table of 6, but when the police went to speak to her, her manager started shouting at her in spanish and suddenly she refused to talk!! no help there we decided that we had to go to the station(we walked) but just before we left the manager asked us to pay our bill????? our bill for food that had not been touched? are you mad? i have just lost the guts of £900 inside your restaurant and u expect us to pay you, get lost! well then he tried to get us arrested for not paying but the policeman refused to get involved which helped because other wise i would have been spending the night in jail for assault!!!

we arrived to the police station feeling like this was a big thing to have happened to us and that they would help deal with us only to find that we were just a number, fill in a form and wait, 4hours, only to sit and watch as every person who walked in the door filled in the same form!!! crazy, i thought, policemen walk in at least every 10mins with handbags (empty) mine however didn't!

My reason for typing this to you all is to warn you that when u go to a country other than your own, you really are on your own!!! without help not even from people you would expect to help you (police) Folks please be warned of the dangers of going to Barcelona, i believe that every city has its problems with this but the scale of what is happening in Barcelona on a daily basis is very scary and you only realise how bad when you visit the police station!!!

we also believe that the restaurant were involved in this!
What a terrible experience for you. Its easy with hindsight to say what you could/should have done but once you are in a restaraunt you don't grip your bag like you do when walking around. How worrying that the police were of no help also. What ever happens it is so upsetting when you are on holiday. Hope you can eventually put it behind you. We can all learn lessons from your experience

Take care

supermum

:(
After we went in January and came back as just another theft statistic for Barcelona I said I'd say more later HERE but thought that it might seem as if I was knocking the City and could put people off so I thought better of it.

Now, after reading numerous posts on here about the problem, I thought it was high time I spoke about it.

We had just been to the Sagrada Familia and because it was pouring with rain, as it had been for the previous four days, decided to get back into the City on the underground.

I got the tickets and the wife paid and I know damn well she put the purse back into her handbag and fastened both the clasps on the front of it.

I went through the barriers first but she, being the type that gets flustered easily, kept putting her ticket in upside down. I was already through and when I turned to reach over to help her, a very pretty and well dressed young girl aged around 19/20 reached round, took the ticket off her and put it through for her.

We thanked her as she passed through and she smiled a gratias back to us and went down the escalator.

We followed soon after but when we got to the bottom and stopped to get our bearings the wife noticed her bag had been opened and her purse had gone. We were the only ones on the escalator when we came down.

The purse didn't contain much, just E75, some debit cards and personal stuff. The purse was genuine Venetian leather and cost her E25 when we went to Venice 3 years ago. Still smelt brand new too.

We went to the English speaking police station at the bottom of the Ramblas and saw the English speaking officer there. A very tall Richard E Grant look alike with a pony tail.

He was very helpful and took our details down within 30 minutes.

Now this might be a bit of good advice.

He said the trick at the underground was the thief stands at a distance from the machines and watches for tourists by seeing which flag comes up when you operate the ticket machine. If you're Spanish they don't bother but once they know you're English, French or wherever they know you're a target.

They then look how you use your purse, handbag, wallet etc to see where in your bag the purse has been placed and how that bag fastens. Once they have that info they will follow you and when the chance arises they know exactly how your bag opens and exactly where your purse is.

It's just a simple matter of timing.

The theif will always go down the escalator and go through the purse on the way down. At the bottom they stop briefly and fling the purse back up the tunnel into the dark.

The police man said that the only way we'll see the purse again is when the tunnel is next due for maintenance and then all purses and wallets are collected and sent down to the police station for id and, may be, returned to their owners.

My wifes hasn't come back yet.

As said already you can take every precaution under the sun but it is no use when you are the victim.

The thief knows you are about to be robbed BUT you don't. :!: :!: :!:
Just returned from a day trip and after using this site we were on gaurd all day.We didnt take a bag i split all our money over 6 seperate pockets between me and my wife fearing if i got hit i would not be cleaned out.
Camera was on my wrist all day.
I would not have had a clue about this had i not been warned im really sorry to hear these storys of theft from pickpocket scum.
We met lots of helpfull people including spanish to guide us around the city without aproblem.Barcelona is wonderfull and we will return with the same precautions as before what a shame.
Hi,

I'm off to the Sonar festival and will be arriving for a long weekend on Weds. I thought it would be good to watch the Spain Vs Ukraine game in Barcelona, however, have since been infomed that Catalans don't care much for Spain games. Is this true? And where would be the best place to watch football? Will there be any big screens or decent bars renowned for Spain games?

Also, any tips in regards to the festival itself?

Thanks
There is a bar in Portaferrissa (or somewhere nearby), between the Gothic Cathedral and the Ramblas, that shows Prem games etc. When we went in January it was showing Cheltenham v Newcastle (FA Cup) but wifey didn't want me to go in and watch the Robins. :cry:

They should be showing World Cup games now so they might have Spain on.
hi

we are going to costa brava in october half term and planning a day trip to Barcelona

what i wanted to know was about parking ?!! we will be hiring a car so where is the best place to park when arriving in Barca???

then we want to go to nou camp,is it best to book before we go or can we just turn up on the day ??

so long as we get to go to nou camp the boys will be happy lol but any other recommendations of things to do with children would be appreciated

ive seen posts about the tourist bus and whilst in madrid last yr we used this and it was fab ,just getting on off as we pleased

is this available in a daily ticket ?? as ive seen people mentioning 2 / 3 day tickets

also are there any parks at all??? eg in madrid there was a huge fab park (cant for the life of me remember the name of it !!) where there was a little boating lake and places to eat / drink and lovely gardens to walk round

TIA

Rach
Rachie, I cannot advise about driving and parking because we went by train which was fast, frequent and very cheap. Less than 20 euros for a family of four from Santa Susannah for a return.

You can just turn up on the day for Nou Camp but check out the club's web site for more information.

Many of the answers you need can be found here:

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVXDb8ZU93ygJVYK+5QT9vyIue/wAW6Ddhyha4vOJgiNq9k7Tgo

A ticket for the tourist bus can be purchased for just one day but get there early. The queues at Place De Catalunya were horrendous when we were there last October half term.

My children absolutely loved Parc Guell which is Gaudi's park. They can run wild up there and also enjoy the longest bench in the world, the lizard thing and the wild parrots. It is a climb to get up there but if you use the metro at Vallcarca and follow the signs there is the most lovely site for sore legs when you turn a certain corner....an escalator to the top of the hill!

We would also recommend Parc de la Cuitadella because there are so many museums etc within and best of all Barcelona Zoo. Expensive but a lovely zoo and you get very close to the animals.

To be honest there is far too much for children to do in Barcelona to be fitted into one day. We travelled in there three times last year for very, very long days and evenings and still have lots we want to see which is why we are returning this October half term! My children adore cities and Barcelona has so far been their favourite.

*Edit to activate link. Pippy*
  • Edited by Magster 2006-06-28 13:38:57
wow thanks

my youngest is zoo mad so would be happy !!

:D
can you tell me how much ciggies are in Barcelona. My daughter wants me to bring her back regal kingsize
Just back from my second visit to Barcelona, This time we managed not to have anything stolen (friend had her purse stolen last time).Weather was scorching hot.

Stayed in the H10 Raco Del Pi hotel for 99 Euros for two nights each. Hotel is in the Gothic Quarter and about two minutes walk from the Ramblas. Great position, this hotel gets very good reviews. We were on the top floor and these room have only small floor level windows and skylights, but as we were only their for 2 nights it was fine wouldn't of liked it for a week though. Great air conditioning as well. You can have breakfast for 7 Euros the first day, but after that it is 14 Euros. Worth having it the first day, good choice of food, filled us up the whole day. A nice touch is that they leave free coffee, tea and water on the bar all day, plus any cakes, croissants etc. left over from the breakfast and you just help yourself. Free internet as well.

Loved the Gothic Quarter, nice shops and loads of little squares to sit and have a meal and drink. Never felt unsafe, even at night.

Cigarette prices are about 35-38 Euros for 200. Spanish brands are cheaper. Tobacco 43 Euros for Golden Virginia.

Last day was spent sokaing up the rays on the beach. Very nice short break.

Did the bus tour for 18 Euros for the day. Well worth it especially as it was 35 degrees and just get on and off when you want
thanks for that information and good review. I believe the 11th Sept. is apublic holiday. Will all the shops be closed?
Had to stop over in Barcelona for one night between Copenhagen & Madrid, & I'm really going off this city, unfortunately. :cry:

It was my third time here, & I've never had a bad experience, but the amount of scum around the Ramblas/ Place Reial is getting worse every visit.

My judgement may also be affected by the fact we also visited Copenhagen & Valencia, where we felt no threat at all, & Madrid, where while not always comfortable, the amount of police on the streets, taking no-nonsense from drunks/ beggars, eased fears quite a bit.
Drewster, I couldn't agree more about Las Ramblas.

We ate lunch there one day on one of our walks around the city. The service was poor and when walking up the street, I've never held onto my bag so tightly anywhere! (I even spotted a couple of pickpocket tricks we'd been warned about) Makes me sound like an old fart I know, but it was far too crowded, noisy and busy for my liking. Of course I knwo it caters for tourists and is one of the "must sees" for a lot of people but for me it wasn't a pleasant experience, I felt like I had to have eyes in the back of my head and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Everyone has their own opinion of course but I have to say I personally can't see the attraction. There are far nicer places in the city to visit.
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been covered before however,

I was hoping you could help with the above, I know there is a bus that goes diret, however does this bus get full very quickly (is there more than 1 bus) and do you have enough time to collect your luggage and get to the bus, as the time from landing to the departure of the bus seems very short! 30-40 mins?

Is there any other ways that are as cost effective? there are 4 people traveling.

Regards

Ezzigo
Hi,

If you are talking about the Aerobus from the airport, they do fill up quickly, but there are plenty of them soon as one has gone another usually comes along. It will tell you the waiting time at the bus stop.
Aerobus is a bit of a nightmare. If there are 4 of you travelling a taxi won't be that expensive, & cuts the travel time in half.
Drewster
How was the aerobus a nightmare? I am going in two weeks and had hoped to traveon the bus
Debby - I personally didn't find it a nightmare at all. It's easy to find upon arrival at the airport, you can buy your tickes on board. Yes it was full and hubby had to stand up but it's really convenient. If you'tre getting it back just make sure you know where to catch it as we had trouble finding the right stand on the way baack!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.