Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Having done a bit more looking around, i think i would definitely like to try this campsite next year, and given my great trip with Interbrava this year, i would really like to use them again

... however - we'd probably be looking at an early season superdeal again (we have our own caravan back home to fund so we have to have a cheap foreign hol!! :lol: ) and i was looking at the standard accom that Interbrava use, and it's semi-detached (!!!!) bungalows ... they look very small and basic indeed, not to mention very close to the neighbours!! Can anyone who has stayed in them let me know how they are?

I would certainly say that for a superdeal price that would be the same for Estartit or Palafrugell, then you would certainly get a lot more accom for your money at Castell Montgri!

Also, noticed from the official website, that this site has apartments on it too .... if any of the UK coach companies are reading this .... snap some of them up for the season!!! :lol: I'd love to have a nice apartment on a campsite!
Just put my key in the front door and already wish i was back at La Seista, 1st week weather was how should i put it AWFUL but the 2nd week sun sun sun, as this was my second year there i noticed afew changes very disapointed that the top pool area and resturant was shut the site was alot quieter and i was informed that they have just lost a star from thier ratings but i'm sure that this will just make the staff work harder to get it back,but still had a great time. Staff at camping life were exceptional and looked after us so well, looked out for you Jude even left a message with the bar staff, hope you had a good timeand sorry we missed each other-( forgot my pass word so could write a message on here for u)!.
Pam,

As someone thinking about going there next year ... was the top pool itself closed, and were these areas just closed for the first week, or for your entire stay!

I dont know if it is down to a loss of custom, but a lot of these campsites in the Costa Brava seem very slow to get going (Castell Montgri was the same) .. but if they keep on like this, it will only be a downhill spiral for them! :(
Hi Pam,

Welcome home!
We got back on Wednesday afternoon, missing the place already :(

What a shame we missed each other!

I did look out for someone with 6 year old girls but obviously didn't spot you. We didn't spend much time in the bar, found it too cold outside and a bit smoky inside.

We did spend Monday night there, and I have to say I was very drunk! My OH has photgraphic evidence of me and the boys doing all the divvy dances; Timewarp, Hokey Cokey, Agadoo, Oops upside your head, Music Man and Birdy dance :oops: Had a fab time and wondered why we hadn't done it sooner :lol:

We had about two or three bad weather days, but as you say, the last few days were glorious.

I heard a few people complain about the other pool and some lack of facilities. My OH was dissappinted about the pool as he's a serious swimmer, but I still loved the site. I liked it as it was smaller than some of the others we'd been to and seemed very friendly.

My nose will be firmly planted in brochures very soon, might take a look at Camping Life.

Adios for now,

JudeX
HI EVERYONE...when you say top pool closed which one do you mean...is it the round one with the slides ect for the children in ...or the oblong one .
One of the reasons I decided to try C.P this year instead of Salou was because both Salou and facilities on site were deteriorating. We are going first 2 weeks in Oct.
Thought there was a no smoking rule in Spain now
ps..in Salou the tide never goes in or out...is it the same in C.P.
Hi TP,

It was the oblong pool that was closed.

Dunno about no smoking rule in Spain, seemed to be lots of people smoking. Worst was outside the airport at Gerona as I think smoking must be banned inside.

I believe there is no tide on the whole of the med, so that includes CP.

The beaches are lovely in this area, and so peaceful at this time of year, until that is, we arrived!
As someone who likes a 'real' swim at times, im disappointed that you report that the smaller pool was closed, as i quite liked the look of that one when i perused the official website

As for Spain's smoking ban, it's abysmal!!!! Most fully enclosed bars have a ban, but if they have any sort of half-wide opening, then smoking seems to be allowed .. put it this way, there were several places in Estartit that would have been banned in Scotland, but not Spain!

That was one good reason to be back home .. the smoking ban! :lol:
As most on the on the site put in a complaint about the top pool being closed i feel they will open it earlier next year, they were cleaning it out the day we left and said it was opening on the 9th june.
Still lots of things to do on the site i played alot of table tennis in the evening badly.
I agree the undercover bar area was very smokey at times but inside it is totally non smoking.
I have already ordered a brochure for next year want to go back to the area but may change site for a change (+ the girls are hoping to see Mickey mouse so may only go for a week to recover from florida).
Hi I was just wondering if you could give me some more info on those two campsites, La Siesta and Cypsela? We have just returned from Cambrils Park near Salou and had a brill time and now we are home we are trying to get some ideas of what to do nxt year, we have 3 school age kids and love campsites (so much more freedom for kids I think), only thing I'm worried about is what is in the areas to do around Cypsela and La siesta, paricularly for kids, water parks, theme parks etc and how far from Port Aventura are these sites? We would go back to Cambrils Park but didn't like the company mobile homes who we went with (Siblu) very old and dated, fancied trying camping life who do Cypsela and La siesta, anyone been with them? Are they any good? Any info would be helpful as we just don't know what to do next year and we are usually booked up by now lol!!
Hi Twinkletoes

We too love camping! Have been to Sanguli in Salou, Park Playa Bara in Tarragona and this May / June to La Siesta.

Usually we book accommodation with the campsite direct. At La Siesta we went with Keycamp, who were great, and the mobile homes new and well equipped and very comfortable. My eldest met some friends who were with Camping Life and he thought their mobiles were better (prob because they had Sat TV!).

We drove to Marineland (water / dolphin park) during our stay (about hour and a half drive), which was good (but not a patch on Portaventura). I would not have attempted to drive to Portaventura, as I felt it was too far. They did do coach trips from La Siesta, but they hadn't started yet. (I think it would have taken about 2.5 hours to drive there).

There were two other water parcs in the area, which weren't yet open (opened at beginning of june) - Aquabrava (closest to La Siesta) and another one in Roses (name escapes me!).

I found the beaches around the campsite unsuitable for my six year old to go in water alone. Shingle which was hard on feet and a strong undertoe and water which went deep very suddenly. Had to keep hold of him at all times! But it was fairly windy.

We went to a couple of local markets in surrounding towns and go-carting.

We had a good holiday, the kids loved the campsite as they made friends with other kids - there were a lot of English kids as it was half-term, but I think my favourite so far was Sanguli (between Salou and Cambrils). I don't think you can beat Portaventura for entertainment for all the family.

The scenery and towns are very picturesque (more so than Costa Dorada)in the Costa Brava, which we liked, plus it felt very safe.

Hope this helps.....feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks ChannelIslander,
Yes Portaventura was brill and our kids would love to go back, just we are not ones to return to the same place twice and weren't impressed with Siblu and as we are commited to paying with tesco vouchers we are limited to Siblu or camping life and unfortunatly camping life don't do as far down as Salou. I know the Sanguli site you are on about, we went for a wander around it as it it owned by the same people who own Cambrils Park where we stayed and the back of both sites actually touch each other! I am turning more and more for going back to Salou, especially after what you said about the sea as our kids love to go off swimming, I just wish we weren't commited to tesco! Thanks for the info though :)
I was at La Siesta until yesterday & both pools were open
Very close to booking a deal for here, so a couple of questions:

1) I usually take traveller cheques to Castell Montgri, and usually Sterling. Is there an exchange onsite, and am i better taking Sterling or Euro cheques, or just take cash?

2) Looking to go 22nd September, can anyone tell me how busy i should expect it to be, and how many facilities will still be open?

Many thanks! :D
AHHH Cider Monster....you'll be coming home the day we go.
If you are coaching it, then you will arrive on the day we are leaving, eh?

If so, and you arrive before Interbrava coaches leave, then remember to say hi to the despondent looking Scotsman sitting in the coach park!!! :lol:
Hope to bump into you .... there are enough pics of my ugly mug on my website to help you identify me!! :lol:

Need to do some research on the whole area now, anyone recommend any good websites?
Still don't know whether or not to take travellers cheques ....

Can someone help out?
Hi CD M...I havent been to Calella DP before. but will be taking travelers cheques myself. Always do as its safer, you can get cheques replaced but if cash styolen thats it. I hope good money exchange on site.
If rates good here I take quite a bit in euros, but the bulk of it in cheques. Its best taking sterling travelers cheques as its easier to pay back into bank if you have any over. I have heard you get a better deal on them as well
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.