Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Your voucher T&Cs will probably have the fact that you can't use it when a holiday is already discounted. Did you read them? If that is the case I'm not sure if there is much you can do about it. However, I do agree that the shop should never have accepted it in the first place.
As Fiona has said the voucher T&Cs will define how it may be used.

I actually have a voucher sent to me by Thomson earlier this year and on the reverse it states;

"This voucher may be redeemed through any ABTA travel agent or directly with Thomson Direct bookings against the purchase of any Thomson or Portland Holiday."

In such a case the there are no restrictions - probably because it was classed as compensation.

If however it was a voucher given out as a promotion then they usually do state not to be used with any other offer.

The problem here is that the agent has not read the T&Cs correctly and applied a discount they should not have. Now you are stuck in the middle. As things stand at present if you do not pay then you will not get your tickets or holiday.

You have paid your money so it is a case of persuading them to either cancel FOC and refund you or hold up their hands and say sorry we have made a mistake. You could contact your local Trading Standards or Consumer Direct - http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ - telephone No 08454 04 05 06

fwh
I have been in touch with consumer direct and they should honor the price I have paid they have said. If they cannot honor it then they should refund by the means that I have paid - ie Cash.

Wait and see what they say now.
As far as I can see, if the agent accepted the voucher at the time of booking then that's their error and not yours, you should not have to pay now after a final invoice has been received and paid :shrug If they can't be bothered to know about the T&Cs of such vouchers then that's a future issue for staff training. I've tried to use 50p vouchers in supermarkets on items that are already discounted and been told by checkout operators that the voucher would not be valid on that occasion - so if supermarkets can train their staff in these matters then so should travel agents :no
I think a arguement you could use is thomson have a offer on all the time which would makes the voucher is totally useless, they end one offer at midnight and then start another 1 minute after midnight. Its all a co n, they can say £200 off holiday prices and just put the cost up £200 and then take £200 off. How can they do a sale when prices are constantly changing, you can't like in a shop see something was £1000 and then see its £800 with £200 off. They can put what ever price they want on the screen and manipulate the prices how they want to.
Usually in circumstances like this where there has been an error by the AGENT, then the company usually honours the mistake and accepts it. cant understand why thomson are being so childish over £50, when it was obviously their mistake in the first place, through lack of training or communication. you should stick to your guns and wait to see the outcome. i would have thought they would honour it as a good will gesture as it was their mistake.
maybe a word with senior management for thomson could do something, i.e: higher than the branch manager??
Yes I know, £50 is not a lot of money to them, and its not a great amount to me. But its the whole principle of the thing, it could be £5 and I would be the same as I am now. Plus it's not l;ike I have got the holiday cheap! - the same one is slightly cheaper on Thomas Cook and thats without any discount! We went with thomson because we liked them last holiday!

The fact si they have made a silly mistake in kicking up a fuss about something so little. I have only just returned from holiday with them 2 weeks ago, and am going again with them in 3 weeks time. That will be over £2000 they have had off me in a month and half. Plus my girlfriends family always booked with them twice a year, and my parents do occasionally. I know for a fact they won't again, neither will I - I would rather pay more and go to someone else.
So oevrall they are going to be losing quite alot of money over £50.
Have you considered the actual agent who sold you the holiday might have to pay the £50 because he/she made a mistake. I remember reading a post on here before if an agent makes a mistake with a holiday cost in a thomas TA shop they have to pay for the mistake.
to cant think of a user name.
have you heard of get it right first and every time .
its not brookie 84 fault.is it..??
It's their error not yours. Stick to your guns, you've got a final invoice confirming you owe nothing, so in my opinion you should not pay 1p more. Fair enough if the voucher couldn't be used as the holiday was at a discount anyhow, however they accepted your voucher at the time, so their tough luck :D
brookie84
take all your paperwork, and a screenprint of thos.cook price for same holiday into the thomson shop and ask to see the shop manager.
explain circumstances calmly and advise them that you can see no reason to pay for the shops mistake.
if they will not honour holiday then ask for immediate refund in cash, as that is how you paid. if that fails refuse to leave the shop until you get it.
this should concentrate their minds.
then go to thomas cook.
johndoe

I am not saying its brookie84 fault but I do remember reading on here if the agent makes a mistake they have to pay if they work in a thomson shop. I might be wrong.
Just to let you know the manager actually called me and sincerely apologised for what has happened. Basically she had been off and the head office told the lass who booked it for me and she was the one doing the chasing with me after saying i needed to pay it. But the price stands as it is, she admitted it would have to anyway as it is a contractual agreement once I have the receipt.
No doubt the lass who booked it will cop it now. Don't want her too as she was nice but nothing I can do about that.
so glad its been sorted, not the sort of thing you need before going holiday really is it. at least someone actually rectified it for you.
the agent will probably only have a warning or a quiet word with the manager, so i wouldnt worry.
put it down to experience, and ENJOY your holiday!!!!!
Glad this was sorted. They had the chance to reject the voucher at the point of sale and they did not. So you had a legally binding contract and had paid in full.

I'm pretty certain that unless they actually cancelled the holiday, which would have been cutting off their nose to spite their face if it's an expensive one, there is nothing they could do.

IMHO I dont think anything will happen to the agent apart from that she or he wont make the same mistake again. At least the Manger knew what they were doing. :tup
great news! :)
thanks for letting us know the outcome. I hope that now you have found HT you will have a look through our other forums and start posting there too. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.