Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Members of the mumsnet forum have been doing similar things. I think they've emailed the poster to almost every bar and club in mainland europe and even to the likes of the Morrocan Embassy and been in contact with airlines and ferry companies etc to put the poster up.

Catherine xxx
just watchin ITV news @ 22.37, & hope they can shed some light on the latest investigations on missing Madeleine and the outcome is positive. Cheers Jayjan
As far as Spain is concerned, I have been targeting airports, airlines, hotels, hotel groups, local and national rail companies, local and national bus companies, shipping lines, car rental companies, taxi and airport transfer companies, theme parks, hospitals, clinics, apartment rental agencies, local media, tourist offices, town councils ... and many more. Of all the e-mails sent, only three have been bounced back to me because of the photo attachment. I am hoping that the rest have been opened and acted upon, although I suspect it is inevitable that some will have been trashed as spam.

But as I mentioned earlier, a decision as to whether members may like to pursue a similar e-mail campaign with their overseas contacts should perhaps be put on hold pending the outcome of this evening's developments.

David
  • Edited by David 2007-05-14 22:46:34
I just had to come away from the TV and watching the news. I hope beyond hope that there is a happy ending to this sad story.
Several major UK tour operators have now taken up the poster campaign, sending copies of the poster to hotels which accommodate as many as 200,000 holidaymakers a week across Algarve and Southern Spain.

This decision to join the campaign and increase awareness amongst holidaymakers would have been taken before last night's developments, which as yet do not appear to have provided the desperately needed breakthrough.

David
I have a teenage son and upon turning on the computer, I was touched to find out that on the chat website that they all seem to go on, many teenagers have replaced their normal avatars with yellow ribbons and posters of Maddie. It just shows how much this has affected everyone from all communities and all age groups. Please let her be found safe and soon.
im praying these latest developments have a happy outcome, and thinking of the family having to watch all of this from their holiday apartment, we are all thinking of you at this time.
Although the latest developments have led to the guy who was being questioned, now officially being treated as a suspect,we've (friends,sisters etc) decided to carry on with wearing a yellow ribbon around our wrists.., etc.etc.until there's some more definite news. Like everyone else,we'll carry on hoping that something good comes from it all,at long last. The sooner the better.
You can a banner from here to use as your signature. http://www.bringmadelinehome.com/news/
Put it as your signature on every site you are a member of and help spread this support around.. the more her face is shown the more hope we have in finding her...
police statement at 6pm
Even my 5 year old daughter is asking about Madeleine every morning when she gets up and every afternoon when I pick her up from school.
My 2 sons, 12 and 13 have added 'Maddy' to the beginning of their nick names on that well known chat website.
It really is affecting everyone.
It really is upsetting me to watch things evolving in Portugal.
What is wrong with some of the human race? It really does baffle me that someone can do such an act to a fellow human.

God bless you Madeleine, wherever you may be. You are in everyone's thoughts. x
as a mother, I cannot comprehend what maddies parents are going through, I keep checking the news to see any developments and my 6yr old daughter asks if they've " found the little girl lost" yet, its heartbreaking,
god help her on her way home xx
Like everyone else, the first thing I do in the morning is put the TV on to check the latest news and pray that it will be good.

Tomorrow during the FA cup final they will be showing a video, that will reach a vast audience in many countries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6668479.stm

Here is a yellow ribbon, if anyone would like to use it as an avatar.
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5755/ribbon1rn5.gif
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5755/ribbon1rn5.gif

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4707/maddy450x124bannerdw2.jpg

Sanji
The 'Find Madeleine' video was first broadcast during the UEFA Cup Final in Glasgow on Wednesday night. In the two days since that broadcast, the official website mentioned above has been visited in excess of 60 million times. That is partly due to the video, but largely due to extensive UK media coverage.

The official website may provide some useful information to those already aware of Madeleine's abduction and inevitably, that will primarily be UK residents drawn to it by media coverage in this country. It will allow members of the public to offer help or encouragement of a sympathetic, symbolic or financial nature, should they so wish.

However, as a holiday discussion site with many thousands of members and visitors from the UK and abroad, Holidaytruths may perhaps be in a much more unique position to provide assistance of a more practical and positive nature. Using the forums and our members' own personal and business contacts overseas, we may be able to extend awareness of Maddy's abduction to British ex-pats, foreign residents, and foreign businesses in the travel and holiday related sectors, many of whom are still totally unaware of this case. Although there is blanket media coverage in the UK, that is not so overseas.

We are currently looking at the best ways of utilising our resources - and yours - to see what sort of practical help we all may be able to offer to try and extend the poster campaign which we have been running, to those abroad who are still unaware and hence would have no reason to visit the official Madeleine McCann site.

David
Following on from my earlier post, with thanks to Kath and Mark, we would now be grateful if you could take time to look at the following new section and provide whatever help you can towards the poster e-mail campaign ... please click here.

Many thanks
David
and a huge thanks to you David for all your hard work on this :tup
WERE YOU IN PRAIA DA LUZ ... CAN YOU HELP THE POLICE ENQUIRY ?

British police are looking for help from holidaymakers who may have been in the Ocean Club Resort in Praia da Luz, or in the surrounding area, in the two weeks leading up to Madeleine's disappearance on Thursday 3 May.

Police would like to see your holiday photos. Not simple family shots or scenery shots, but any photos which have people in them who you do not know. A special upload site has been set up by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre for this purpose. Using facial recognition technology, the photographs will be cross-referenced against a database of pictures of UK paedophiles and other criminals. Any relevant information would then be passed on to the Portuguese police.

All photographs will be treated in the strictest confidence and will be used for investigation purposes only. If your photos are in print form rather than digital format and you are unable to scan and upload them yourself, you can take them to retailers such as Jessops who will upload them to the site for you.

For further information on how to upload your photos to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, please click here.

British and Portuguese police would also like to hear from anyone who has seen anything suspicious related to the disappearance of Madeleine, or if you suspect you may know where she is being held or hidden.

Please phone British police on 0800 096 1233 or Portuguese police on 00351 282 405 400

David
I feel very sad tonight some of my hope for a happy ending has gone.
Hello all,
What ever the in's and out's of this, I am sure that most people hope for a happy endding to it, but I have to say that when we were there in July there were not many of those posters to look out for her. I think we only saw half a dozen at the most, and we traveled round the coast and inland to some of the towns e;g Faro/Silves/Loule/Alte/Aljezur and Alcoutim, and in Alufeira were we stayed, there must have only have been four at the most.

Dave.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.