Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Lambert & Butler and Regal can be bought in most shops in Icmeler. These are made under licence in Turkey, have the official sticker on them and are fine. I was paying 4.5YTL (£1.60) a pack in May.
I just tend to stick to Marlboro lights or menthol whilst I am there as like you say, they are the genuine article (and cheap too :!: :!:) I then stock up at Dalaman on the way home, managed to get 200 marlboro lights for £8 at dalaman last september :D
Lat September at Dalaman they were offering 1000 english fags for £30 is this still the case, also please can someone confirm if a box of 200 on the way out would be cheaper on the plane or at Dalaman on arrival (I know that there was only a couple of of shops/stalls but never been in when arriving before.
Can anyone tell me if you can get English cigarettes in the hotel or resort, or is it better to get them from the airport on the way out?

Thanks
its cheaper to buy cigarettes on the way out and if you need them when you are there they are cheaper in the village.
£24 on the plane for 400 marlboro lights.
If you read a little back on this page you will read that it is illegal to sell English cigarettes in the resorts. What they try to sell you on the cheap is fake. The cigarettes they sell in resorts are fine such as: L&m, Salem (if you like menthol) 2000s, Marlboro etc
Can anyone please advise what the prices are for 200 cigarettes in side- turkey. Preferably richmond superkings or superkings black/gold. Thankyou in advance for any replies.
Sue you will find superkings a hard brand to get in resorts best place to buy fags is in Antalya airport when you arrive. Cant remember prices though and dont know if that brand is available.
sue, you can find Superkings here @ 4.60 YTL per packet or one pound 75.As Bryn says. buy them at the airport when you land and no idea of price but cheaper than resort.

Ian
Hi Sue, and anyone else buying tobacco.
Please try to avoid buying our brand tobacco in the resorts, I found out a few years ago that they were fake, ( big time ) I finished up at the docs with a severe sore throat / chest and coughing bouts. Buy them on the plane or in the airport when you land.
If you run short during your stay in turkey and like superkings, then buy the turkish brands, I have found that the turkish brand of 2001's are as near as makes no difference to superkings.

:wink: Kev :wink:
Thanks bryn, rik and kevinhawley for your replies. Can you buy cigs on the flight over? Can't remember if this was the case 4 years ago when we went to marmaris, and also do you get them at antalya in duty free when you return home or are you able to buy in the airport when you land.
  • Edited by sue40 2007-07-22 17:57:33
Sorry rik just realised you said to buy the cigs when you land. Are the shops available when you come through into the arrival lounge. We have never flown to this airport and not too sure where everything will be.
Sue in Antalya when waiting for your baggage the duty free ıs behind you!!!
In the UK I smoke Benson Silver or Mayfair Lights

When in Turkey I smoke L&M Lights (blue) but last year discovered Anadolu lights which were just as good and 60p per pack !!!!

I bought 400 Blue Regal on the plane on the way to turkey last year for £32 which I thought was good

Best to buy baccy and UK brand cigarettes in the airports when you land or in Departures
Just to make it clear the cigs you buy in the shops must have the yellow label on them, never buy from under the counter, or rolling tobacco from the kids on the markets, they are all fakes. Stick to Turkish brands if you like them, or buy international brands I buy Marlboro in the resort with no problems and they are cheaper than on the plane
Out of curioosity, I know you are only allowed to bring back 200 cigs in closed packets, I have heard that if you bring back open packets, customs are not interested as they are obviously not for resale. has anyone had a problem with this? (heard its ok even to just remove the wrappers from each individual pack and nothing else, or just remove one cig from each pack?)

Thanks in advance for your replies.
i have heard that too scooby but haven't managed to find out if it is true! Lets hope someone will be able to shed some light.
There is no problem with buying cigs from the country you've visited and bringing them back in your suitcase. If you buy duty free cigs and they are in your hand luggage you run the risk of having to pay up the duty on arrival in the UK of any over 200. Bear in mind that duty free packs are clearly marked.

Sometimes customs can decide that you have cigs for resale in your case if it's jam packed with them. That's their decision ultimately.

I have never had any problems returning with more than 200. I had 400 duty free in my hand luggage on the way back and another almost 400 in my case. I wasn't stopped. If I had been they would have been in their rights to charge me duty on the extra 200 I had with me. I think most are not out to get cigarette buyers but if they stop you randomly they can't really ignore it.
Hi there, just wondering if anyone can tell me if you can buy mayfair in Marmiris..Thanks in advance.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.