Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
cigs
230 Posts
Did you fly from Alicante and go through the blue EU channel?.

If you go through the blue EU channel then it is up to the customs to have reasonable belief that the goods are not for your own use. A couple of years ago I was flying from Oporto to Manchester after a footy trip watching Liverpool and we were waiting to go through the green channel when a customs officer approached us and asked were we had travelled from when we told him he directed us to the blue channel and explained the reason why. I have been through terminal 1 five times since and each time through the EU channel and never seen a customs officer.
My husband and I were both stopped along with a few other people coming back fron girona, we all had large amount if cigs, our bags came out last and we were approached before we could go through the blue channel. we were interviewed in different rooms, we both had 33 sleeves each and 2 pks of tobacco between us after about an hour they let us go with all the cigs and tobacco but said they were giving us a public notice. I can only assume they scan the larger cases before they come through the carousel. We spoke to a man on the flight the same thing happened to him and his wife the week before only they took the lot off of them, and he brought a freind with him that time and crammed everything into hand luggage and they never got stopped.
i must have a face the customs like we go to benidorm twice a year an we always use humberside airport we were stopped also going through the blue channel and we were given a written warning that if the customs came to the house and we had not got the ciggies we would be taken to court and fined for what he called it smuggling they just seem to pick the easy target nkowing we are not over the limit which there isnt one if they are for your own use
honkytonk - When I first went to Beni a few years ago, I was stopped and searched at security at both ends, sorry, I mean at both airports :oops: At the time, I had a no.1 haircut and wore a baseball cap. Now, my hair is longer, and I wear nothing on my head. Maybe there is a message here. :P
Does anyone know, if you are stopped by Spanish Customs with 16 cartons of cigarettes and produce a receipt and a Documento de Acompanamiento , would you be totally in the clear or are there implications.
Any advise please..........

Sue :)
Have they changed the rules now. I thought you were allowed to bring 16 cartons each back with you. I read on a previous post that you can only bring 800 cigs back now is this correct.

Diane.
Have they changed the rules now. I thought you were allowed to bring 16 cartons each back with you. I read on a previous post that you can only bring 800 cigs back now is this correct.

Yes and No.
Yes, you can bring 16 cartons, (3,200) for your own personal use as far as the British customs is concerned, and this is referring to presenting yourself at British Customs on British soil.
Each country has its own rules, even though we are still talking about Spain who is a member of the EU.
Spain has restrictions on the amount of tobacco that you can take out or move around the country, the limit is 800.
Therefore, it is essential that you save all receipts just in case you are stopped on Spanish soil before going through passport control at the airport.
Without these receipts, the Spanish are quite within their rights to seize goods and impose a monetary penalty on you.

Be Warned. :wink:

Sanji x
Hi,
Please help!!! :oops:

I will be going to Los alcazares on holiday and want to bring some cigs and tobacco back with me. can anyone tell me where I can buy cigs? and also the limits by customs?

Would really appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Nexa :D
Hi, I've just made a call to my Mother-in-Law who lives in Los Alcazaras and she said that there is a big tobacos on Avenue Liberatad near some crossroads which are pretty central.

Your allowance will be 3,200 cigarettes, that's 16 cartons and 3kg of Tobacco, that's 6x10 x 50grams

Hope that helps.

Ps. Don't be tempted to go over the limit, some friends of ours have just had 10,000 cigarettes and 20x 6 Tobacco seized by Customs at Leeds and Bradford Airport.

I always stick to the limit, it's simply not worth been greedy.

Hi,
Thanks for the info! I agree it's not worth taking the risk by going over the limit.
Once again, many thanks to you and you're mother-in-law!

Nexa
hi,
http://www.eurotabaco.net

check here for prices.
cheers steve.
Hi,
Do these Tabacos shops accept debit and credit cards? if so, do they charge a fee?
don't really want to take a lot of cash with me. :lol:
Thanks in advance

hI,
Does anyone know if I can get cigs on a Sunday in Los Alcazares? I've already been advised ( Thanks Sue), about the Tabacos on Av Liberatad being closed on Sunday.
I know theres a newsagent in Los Narejos selling cigs, but not sure if it's open on Sunday.

Thanks in advance,

Nexa
Hi Nexa, How long ago did you buy cigs in the newsagents in Los Narejos?

The way I understand it, only Tabacos shops not newsagents are allowed to sell cigs, this came in to force at the beginning of the year and is applied all over Spain.

Sue,
you are right about general shops not being allowed to sell tobacco,but bars are allowed to have machine's most bars still do have them.

Tobacco shop's close 1-30 pm on Saturday.

ebma.
Hi,
It probably was a tabacos and I got confused into thinking it was a newsagent :lol:
They probably had a couple of newspapers!
I'm gonna try and catch them on saturday morning. :wink:

cheers,

can anyone tell me the price of 200 lamberts in benidorm now? and where the best place to get them??
200 cigarettes Lambert & Butler/ Lambert & Butler Light/Lambert & Butler Menthol: 29.50E from Eurotabaco.
last yr I bought 200 and got 200 free on the plane cumin home anyone know if the offers are still on?? it is Thomson holidays. dont want to buy all cigs in spain then find out the offer is still on!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.