Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
well we had no problems with travelrepublic

printed of the accommodation vouchers for our apt in turkey.

I'd e-mailed the apts before we arrived to ask for 2 apts next door to each other, which we got.

The hotel owner didn't even ask for our accommodation vouchers, when we arrived.
Have used Travel Republic many times and never had any problems (thankfully)
We have used Travel Republic many times also and been given really good prices (flights especially) and had no problems. Thankfully as we have 2 little ones.
i have used them in the past and had no problems either, but recently i have noticed their prices have gone up ,even with their so called sales, ive been pricing a few hotels for different destination and they are no longer the cheapest, ive found other sites like quickrooms,freedomdirect and findmeaccom were cheaper for all hotels i was looking at for 2 particular holidays, so its definitely worth having a good look around before booking with them now
I have also used TR in the past and have had no problems at all.
However I have just priced up a holiday for next year with them and they are over £1000 dearer than Thomas Cook :yikes and only allowing 10kg hand luggage, no hold luggage unless you pay an extra £90!!. Not much good for 2 weeks in Mexico??
Denny
Thanks to all respondants to my original post. We too had travelled with travel republic before without any problems. That's why we went with them again. The point I was making is that when things go wrong they go very wrong and they either don't know how to deal with it or just don't care. We booked a car with them to be collected at Las Palmas airport because we were not arriving until 10.30 p.m.. We were told the rental desk at the airport would be open. When we arrived, not only was the desk not open - it wasn't even there. After making frantic enquiries we were told the desk had closed some days earlier and was now based in Las palmas, some 30kms. away. Why weren't we told. To make matters worse when we asked for the car to be delivered to our hotel (hovel) we were told that could not be done. We cancelled the car hire but it took Travel Republic some 6 weeks after our return to the Uk to reimburse us. Again - be warned!!!
we have just returned from our holiday to sharm el sheikh booked in april with travel republic for our 30th wedding anniversary.our flights were with xl and so we had to get new flights with easyjet,who i have to say were really good. we had booked transfers with TR too so we had to change them because of the different flight times.we did this on 16/9.i checked with TR that the hotel knew we would be arriving a few hours earlier and got an e-mail confirming our hotel was booked from 5/10.however when we arrived the hotel told us that our booking had been cancelled on16/9 and they had no rooms available.after an hour a wings rep arrived and took 4hours to find us another hotel.we phoned TR ,at some cost! who told us to go to the alternative hotel and they would phone the next morning to see if we were happy. we decided to stay at the hotel as it had took so long for them to find another hotel we didnt want to waste any more of our holiday,and it was our anniversary the next day.i would like to claim back our out of pocket expenses as the hotel was in the middle of nowhere, the a/i ended at 11pm and there were no late night snacks available.sounds petty but the hotel i booked had a/i until midnight,late night snacks and was a 10min stroll from 2 large shopping malls and restaurants.i have contacted TR on our return and was told to complain in writing and send copies of all receipts,although they could not guarantee these would be refunded. we had a nice holiday but made the best of a bad job.does anyone think i have any chance of recompense?thanks
Hi bushbaby sorry you had a disrupted holiday :( as a 30th should be special.

I think for people to assess if you have any chance with making some kind of claim it might be helpful if you gave the name and location of your original hotel and the name and location of the hotel you were bumped to.

Knowing Sharm a little many hotels are in the middle of nowhere so if you were moved form one that was in the middle of nowhere to another in the middle of nowhere that would not help any kind of claim IFYKWIM.

But perhaps if you were originally to be in Namma Bay but ended up 30 kilometers north of there it might make a difference.

Also the difference between AI finishing at 11pm and AI finishing at 12 pm may be considered a minimal by a solicitor or ABTA.

You also need to think of what you want in way of recompense ? Is it food and drink you bought between 11pm and midnight ? I can't see TR giving you anything easiliy as the collapse of XL caused lots of arrangements to go array and they may argue that they did the best for you they could at that time, although it sounds like you found the new hotel yourself.

Doe
hi doe
we had booked the calimera royal diamond which was walking distance to old sharm and two big shopping malls.we were moved to the conrad which is near sharks bay.we have stayed at the hilton sharks bay 3 times which is why i chose a hotel nearer to shops and restaurants. i would like our bar bill for drinks after 11pm,about £70 which is not a huge amount for 10 days,our taxi fares,£30, into old sharm and my mobile phone costs to travel republic which i think will be about £60.i dont think it was TR's fault that our hotel was cancelled but i did ask them to check the hotel knew we were arriving earlier than planned and they confirmed the hotel was booked from 5/10 when in fact it had been cancelled on 16/9.when xl crashed and we had to get new flights TR told us that the hotel booking was fine as it had been booked separatly from the flight and was unaffected.i also phoned holiday brokers (the hotel supplier) and they said the hotel was fine. i did all i could to make sure the booking was correct and at the end of the day we didnt get the holiday we booked because someone elses mistake.
thanks for replying
sue
Hi Sue

I would wait to see what Travel Republic reply first. If they offer you someting towards the extra you had to pay out, I guess you could make a judgement as to if you think it is fair and if you are happy with it accept it. If they don't I guess another alternative may be to make a claim via the small claims court for your expenses. I'm no expert on the small claims court, but I think it is designed for something like this ie claims that are under £500, a plus I beleive (once again have no personal experience) is you can do it all yourself and not have to involve a solicitor. You should be able to google to get information. If they respond with a negative in the first instance, maybe even a second letter to them to say that you will now be claiming your 'out of pocket' expenses, via the small claims court, might be enough to make them re-imburse you.

Good Luck with it, Doe
Just to let you know that TR have taken an age to send on my xl refund application to the CAA. I was informed today that it had been processed and passed on to them this morning - 6 weeks after I posted it to them!! They also told me it was taking the CAA 8-10 weeks at the moment to sort the claims out. What's bothering me the most is that in previous correspondence from TR I was led to believe that they'd passed my claim on ages ago and it was only a matter of days now before I'd get the refund. Shocking customer service!
you've just amswered my question shirley! i haven't heard anything at all and was going to phone them this morning.i sent claim form by registered post so i could track it and i know they received it the next day.still, i think i will chase them up tonight when the phone lines have calmed down a bit!
sue
I had to change hotel for next year, a phone call to explain my problem. Replied within an hour via email, new hotel confirmed, transferred my original deposit to new hotel. To-date never had a problem with TR.
Can only speak of my findings.
No I,m not on their payroll.
It always seems to be the case that the bigger a company gets, the further away customers get from somebody capable of sorting out problems!!

Think Halifax Bank when it became HBOS - nightmare :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.