Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Enjoy your holiday Andy. :sun2
I don't usually get involved in this forum, I read it and let the members answer who are more knowledgeable than myself regarding the tourist industry.
I thought the OP was rude and didn't have any manners to say 'thank you' for the email contact to Steve, She didn't have time to say 'thanks' or let us know if her problem had been resolved, but had the time to go tweeting.
Then we had Jackie coming into the thread saying 'Don't book with Travel Republic', but it seems she didn't book with TR - somebody did it for her.

I read the Spanish press and I got interested when Smilo was mentioned.

I can't remember us ever having a problem like Jackie's before, but it's not surprising, because until recently time-share and holidays were separate industries.
The first week is time -share. Somebody phones and tells you you've won a prize - usually the result of giving information in a sc*m survey or scratch card, either in the resort or at the airport. This is so old hat now and for years has been discussed on various forums - I cannot believe that people still go for it, but, each to their own. :shrug
Reputable time-share companies don't need to resort to these tactics.

So IMO it's really only the second week that's relevant to this forum. But then is it? We don't know who phoned her or who booked the second week, or which country they phoned from.

I have been wondering how this stands in legal terms......I wish I knew.lol
CLC is a UK plc, but it has many subsidiaries - it's registered in the Isle Of man and has a management team/ office in southern Spain in Mijas Costa on Calle Cadiz (not Cadiz itself as I previously was led to believe).

Yesterday I was reading a forum of disgruntled time-share owners who were refusing to pay their hiked up maintenance fees, and basically they want out of the whole shebang- they were receiving threatening letters.
A barrister came into the conversation and said that the IOM has no jurisdiction in an English court, so I assume that it goes both ways.?- and if the holiday was booked on the phone from Spain, they will (hopefully) be adhering to Spanish laws too - so if she wanted to sue, who is she going to sue, a company based in Spain?

Another interesting thing I noticed today, is this form that TR has on their website.
https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/help/special-assistance.aspx

So, If this form was not filled in and the request was just a general request (which are not guaranteed) and made at the time of booking by some sales person in Spain.....
Sorry, try as I may, I really cannot see how TR are to blame for any of this.

Sanji x
Hi all,
Just back in to say, this topic has really become quite frustrating and confusing. Slagging off a company, then adding bits here, changing things here. Does your head in doesn't it? :banghead: And, you are all right, someone comes on, and then goes away without keeping us informed. Just not the HT way is it?!

Dawn :wave
Slagging off a company, then adding bits here, changing things here. Does your head in doesn't it? : And, you are all right, someone comes on, and then goes away without keeping us informed. Just not the HT way is it?!

My holiday from hell – they built a 3 storey building in two weeks just across the road – happened long before HT was even thought of. Years later I discovered HT, in its infancy at the time, and from that point onwards, I, like many others, started on a learning curve. Over the years I have become educated in the vagaries of travel agents, tour operators and rules and regulations.
From time to time I have had queries regarding destinations and accommodations and the members of HT have always managed to come through with an answer. Not always perfect but at least pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for that.
This current topic is typical in many ways of the problems/questions we have been faced with and as usual members have come forward with information that will help the OP resolve the problem
My suggestion of a survey/form might be considered as officialdom by some but is actually a way in which we can save time and frustration for the OP and enable us to come up with an answer, although as I and others often say the answer you get will not always be the one that you want to hear but that applies to many things in life.

Sanji as usual has gone that extra mile and spent time doing further research which not only helps answer the question but, for anyone who takes the time to read/browse topics, can help prevent similar problems in the future.
Where it all goes wrong of course is the OPs demonstrate how little they have done to help themselves. Tick the box and get on with booking the holiday and then blame everybody but themselves when things go wrong. No wonder thy have a problem.
It might have been fashionable in ancient times to shoot the messenger but those who contribute help and advice do so because they often know from bitter experience how it feels when things go wrong and so try to help others from making the same mistakes.

Do we expect the courtesy of a word of thanks, well experience tells us that is very unlikely but it would be nice.

fwh
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on any form of thanks, apart from the attitude the OP hasn't logged back in since the 14th :que
Back from Turkey, knee deep in washing, I will be looking on TR site tomorrow for our next trip - after I have completed a glowing review for the Saturn Palace Resort Hotel in Lara Beach of course!
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on any form of thanks, apart from the attitude the OP hasn't logged back in since the 14th

The O/P is enjoying her holiday, she would proberly be laughing her head off at our expense :think But reading all this, i am glad in a way she did write the post, it has opened my eyes on booking holidays and looking at T & C's etc, and as usual we at HT are a fab team :cheers
Derwentrocker wrote:

:think But reading all this, i am glad in a way she did write the post, it has opened my eyes on booking holidays and looking at T & C's etc, and as usual we at HT are a fab team :cheers

Well put , I was thinking that myself !! It gives you a timely reminder to check what you really are getting taking into account the large sums of money you are handing over .
I booked 2 rooms in florida throughTR paid them and when I arrived I was informed that I had to $119.99 because TR had only paid for one room. I paid the amount and got a receipt and a parting comment from the desk clerk "If TR produce evidence that they paid the full amount that they would refund mr my cash" After 4 weeks of emails and phoe calls I have 3 seperate and totally different answers why TR will not refund me my money.It appears that TR used a very dodgy company in Las Vegas called Travelscope To book my rooms.This oufit has now been bought by Expedia.It is Travelscope who have sent these outrageous answers to TR.I have now placed the matter with ABTA and by all accounts I should not expect miracles from them but we shall see. Hoping pigs might fly...
If you have ever had to deal with TR customer complaints section you might find the reason for Steve taking some probably unwarranted flak. In my complaint I was resposible for the extra expense I had to pay for the following reasons
My guests did not show up so I was charged a no show( my guests were standing with me at the desk so they could sign for their keys and register their car details)

I had booked and used THREE rooms so I was charged for the third room (there were only 4 in my party)

My travel company had only paid for one room(I had all the vouchers but it mean anything to the hotel)
TR accepted all these totally untrue replies and said no refund would be issued. So if Steve can improve on that he is welcome to try...
So if Steve can improve on that he is welcome to try

It would be a good idea to contact him and give him the chance to try and sort it out, as he has for several on here who have had problems over the years. HT hear of complaints about almost all of the travel companies, big and small, but TR has invariably proved the easiest one to deal with once Steve has got involved.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.