Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Drinking
24 Posts
I guess it will be a local brand, not unsimiliar to that I got served in Egpyt ( AI 5*) all the spirits tasted like they were petrol based with a little favouring... enjoy.
Hi,

Yes the Tunisians have there own brand of vodka called bouka I dont think it tastes anything like our vodka ( it tastes a bit like the horrible medicine you took when you were a kid Ha ha :x :x ) but you can buy vodka in the hotel when AI it was about 3.80 dinar in the hotel where we stayed and worth every penny. It might be a good idea to buy a bottle in duty free before you go, wish we had done that.

Have a great time in Tunisia the Tunisians are a really friendly bunch of people

Bye

Chrissy :wave :wave
If you buy a bottle in duty free be sure to hide it (if you are staying in an hotel). We brought two bottles of bacardi not for us to drink but for presents. Though we hid them in our suitcases as there was big sign on entrance forbidding bringing in your own food or drink!!! maybe it depends on the hotel!!
Thanks for the replies, anyone know whats nice to drink
Boukha is not vodka but a fig based spirit. That's fig as in syrup of fig - hence the medicine taste. Additionally there is also a fig based liquer called Thibarine, fine if you like sweet tasting fig drinks. There are some good wines available plus Tunsian produced spirits. Personally I prefer the qahwah.

Dorra
dorra what is qahwah???????

I like a nice cold glass of white medium wine, sitting watching the sunset.

Never been Tunisia before, am going alone and looking forward to a peaceful week .......... aaahhh lovely :wink:
:? thought it was some sort of exotic local drink
Qahwah is very definitely coffee - strong, dark and flavoured with jasmine water. I'd say that was a local exotic drink. Don't panic Mumandbigson, there are several white wines available if you must.

Dorra
  • Edited by dorra 2006-07-05 22:05:43
Thibourine is quite nice with coke!!!!!!!!!an aquired taste

Cheers
Doreen
Only me again, forgot to say Qahwah is coffee but lovely,and there are some lovely Tunisian white wines.
Just enjoy,have a lovely time

Doreen
Thanks nodocdoe I will definately enjoy myself.

dorra I like strong black coffee as well :wink: normally the morning after the wine :lol: :lol:
I cant stand coffee and i realy dont like wine!!!! :cry:
Im sure you will find an alternative to drink :wink:
hello kiltedwarrior,
just got home from tunisia and the alcohol there is quite dire. AI spirits are given out as a mere splish nowhere near a shot and tastes horrible. you can buy vodka in the supermarket but its like 50quid a bottle. we purchased 4 litres of bacardi on the plane for 7.50 a litre. these were meant to be presents but we ended up drinking them. theres 4 types of beer in tunisia but most places just serve 1, that being celtia beer, its 2% and tastes like nats pish. theres a stella 3.5%, a stella dry 6.5% and lowenbrowe 5.2%, one place had heiniken too. (£5 a pint) but you wont get any beer in an AI hotel other then celtia. shorts in bars and resturants are really dear and they are just a splash, so not worth it. some of the red wines didnt seem too bad but you gotta be prepared to spend alot of money. good example is 'magon' thats the cheapest wine at 6 dinnars a bottle in the supermarket, ( £2.60 and they paying tax on it and making a profit so you know its just gut rott) magon in a resturaunt will be between 18-20 dinnars. my advise is buy 4 bottles of smirnoff or absolute on the plane. we drank our own drinks at the hotel and no-one batted an eyelid.
hope this helps
keiron
sorry im not been rude but firstly surely you go on holiday abroad to sample foreign food/drink etc...also is it essential to actually drink alcohol at all...why not try local fruit juices etc?
amoresperros

You don't seem to be happy either way.

On the one hand drinks are too expensive, on the other the wine must be rubbish because it is cheap.

I bought a bottle of very drinkable Rose in a restaurant for £3.60.

My family of four managed to eat most lunchtimes for less than 20TD, about £8. We had a whole French stick, Harissa, olives, salade Tunisien, Brik (Brique) pasta and/or cous cous.

We did have to pay 15TD for a bottle of wine at Ksar Ghilane, we found several places in Kebili, Douz, etc where prices were very reasonable.

Kevin
*Edit removed comment please refer to the T&C http://holidayforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=968 number 3 thanks Briar Moderator
sorry kevin if i sounded a bit grumpy. i think my point on the wine was the mark up. if its 3 pounds in a tunisian supermarket and 12 in a resturaunt thats a 300% mark up. they dont even do that in london. didnt mean to come across all negative but i think its fair to comment on my own opinons and conclusions about tunisia. im glad you and your family enjoyed the whole french stick with olives and salad. was it by chance a starter??????
regards
amoresperros

If you buy a bottle in duty free be sure to hide it (if you are staying in an hotel). We brought two bottles of bacardi not for us to drink but for presents. Though we hid them in our suitcases as there was big sign on entrance forbidding bringing in your own food or drink!!! maybe it depends on the hotel!!

Hi . weve never had any problem with taking duty free bottles into the hotel . we keep them on the table in our room , and they even give us glasses .
but like yuve said this may depend on which hotel you staying in ...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.