Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
our favourite thing about goa is the place and the people on returning to goa for the second time we came through the airport after all the hussle and bussel we got our taxi set off.And at the same time we both said we are home it has a special magic that stays with you for the rest of the year while your in the uk i just hope and pray that it never changes the people have a wonderful way about them i could go on forever cant wait to be back again not long now counting the days
hi fiona our best memory of goa is our first trip we went to resort de goa on varca beach in the south we woke up early on the first morning and strolled down the hotel path to the beach we couldnt believe we were the only ones on the beach it was beautiful just like in the brochures fantastic views palm fringed beach we were hooked and still are years later hence the fact we sold our house to finance every winter in goa for the next few years starting this year anita and john :D
apart from everything - perhaps my favorite memory is the special smell and sounds of goa/India which somehow always come back when you step off the plane. :P
i remember the first time we went to goa. i hated it. we went out to the seagull restaurant the first few nights and got talking to the owner andrew. i was saying to him how i didnt like it and i will always remember he said to me " you will be back i promise you" i said to him "no way" i was really adamant. but by the end of the holiday i had to go back to him and say "yes you were right we are coming back" and we dont go any where else now and this year we are going for a month and i cant wait :D
Well apart from meeting my boyfriend Vishal there, I think my favourite memory of Goa would have to be. . .hmmmmmm.....i dont have one! every memory i have of Goa is FANTASTIC! The whole way of life over there, I love it! There is nothing better than sitting in Sudans or The Log Cabin with all my friends over there! OH i cant wait to go home! 6 weeks and 4 days!

keira
-x-

Been thinking about this one for a while and think my favourite memory of Goa was when Vishal and his friends took me to the cinema! What a great experience! Also have to agree with everyone else and say the smells of Goa are great! I walked past a shop the other day that had incence sticks burning and it took me right back to Goa!
My first visit to India was in 1959 (yes that long ago!) and the one thing that sticks in my mind to this day was the smell of India , I cant describe it but it, is, special to there , theres always woodsmoke from cooking fires in it, you can smell it everywhere, no matter where you stay in Goa some local not far away will be cooking over an open fire. And the people, their lack of envy towards we tourists from the affluent west. When I speak to the beach girls who all come from Karntaka and who are denied most things on offer to home grown Goans, and know when we all head back to our comfortable life in the developed world when the monsoon comes, they head back to their humble homes and a place in the crowd at the centre of Calangute each morning trying to pick up a days work on a building site carrying bricks or whatever for a hundred rps. per day They shame us all. Alan
Well...where can i start on this one.I have never known a place that has entranced me so much.Can anyone explain to me why it has that mystical/magical touch ?
I have visited many countrys and although they have been nice places and good holidays,I will always be drawn back to Goa.The people are the best - so friendly,so helpful and always wanting to know you and the country you are from.
My best memory will always be our 1st time in 1997,which was also the first time we made friends with our current shack owner Ganesh, in Candolim.
A new shack owner at the time - no licence,and at the back of the beach,2 tables and 6 chairs.....Well we are still the best of friends and always make time to call at his familys house for a meal or pot of tea.His shack has grown,and now has prime position - something i am proud of, as we (and others) have helped get to that status,that is my best memory - a small new shack owner up against the big boys....we will never forget 1997.
Goa seems to bring the author out in people!
the think to me one of the fav thing of goa has to be the smell,its undiscribable but wonderful,thats why i like insence sticks so much as they remind me of goa.
but as you can imagine my very fav memory of goa has to be falling in love with rani the puppy, :D and the feeling of peace knowing we were saving her,and i know that every time i look at her i will be transported back to goa,
xx
I went to Goa for the first time in April 2003 with my parents then returned January 2005 with my friend who jad never been on our first night we went to the shack that I had been to when I first went to Goa in 2003 and all the staff recognised me and remembered my name!! I couldnt belive it! Then next day my friend said she wanted to go home she didnt like it! By the end of the 2 weeks she was sad because she didnt want to come home then the following week we booked again to go in April and are now going for the season in 10 days!!!!

But I have to agree with everyone on the smells and sounds!
I think my best memory of Goa, is the first time we went there, we had paid out 2,000 pounds, for a two week all inclusive holiday, in the Santa Maria, I will always remember being shown our villa, and I just looked at the rooms, then at my husband and said I THIS IT we had not realised, that there stars for hotel accomadation mean nothing, no matter where you go, in India, it is very very basic, unless you pay for the Taj, but the Goan people make up for that, It is a beautiful country, beautiful people, and well what more can I say it is a beautiful place.

I cant wait to get back there.
Hey spike is ganesh shack friendly?? we have always used fishermans but now we live Candolim end we might have to have a change, :( which road is it near?? I agree with all that has been said about Goa, the wonderful people the smells the food the ........ I dont know..yes the magic.....it really has that 'something' you cant quite define that hooks you. and it seems to happen to almost everyone, all age groups and social classes, it is strange.
Chilly
Our best memory would have to be our wedding/blessing on candolim beach, what bobbyshack had arrange was amazing compared to what you get in the UK.
My Best memory has to be giving out the presents at Christmas in the slums.. It was absolutely exhausting (took two whole days), but watching the kids get the presents from Santa (he was wearing a full santa suit) was great... Bombing from one slum to the next on my bike with my rudolf the reindear mask on... Priceless! :D
:lol: ahhh and you did look cute Rob!! :lol: if a little hot!!
Chilly
:) I too have loads of memories, the first time I went was to Majorda with my 2 kids, then Cavolissm, now Candolim (lots of times). I couldn't believe how quiet and cheap it was. The difference in culture, the smells the friendly people, who still remember you, your family your name 3 years after you have visited the place! Travelling down south by bus and stopping at different places, tuc tucs, Agonda, Palolem, Morjim, Anjuna, Ingos, Club Cabanna, getting drunk and missing tea, the smells, tastes, great tailors, great jewellery, etc, etc!! The list goes on, I love it and would love to buy somewhere out there. I just hope it doesn't change, I have seen a bit difference these last 3 years in Candolim and hope it stops now, no more sports bars, karaokes etc. Enough of the moan, I'm back there for a week in October looking forward to lying :glynis on my bed at Sam's Paradise and supping Pina Coladas at happy hour with a dog under my bed, I always adopt at least 1!
So many sitting on the beach at agonda watching the sun rise and a village wake up, our first experience of Mapusa market the people the food watching an Osprey dive and catch a large fish being up close to a 15/16 foot crocodile........
I think the biggest memory though was our first trip.
We had just got married in the North of Scotland and flown from Edinburgh to Gatwick and then on to Goa. I don't think we had slept for over 4 hours when the plane approached Goa. I will never forget when the plane tipped its wings and we got our first glimpse of the crystal blue sea with quant fishing boats boobing up and down. Then walking off the plane and feeling the heat and smelling the Goan smells. Then on to the coach and the drive through the fabulous villages with cows wandering up the road, pigs market stalls and of course the children waving with huge smiles on there faces. Neither of us could believe we were actually here and not watching a documentary on T.V. From being so tired we were now so wide awake. when we arrived at our hotel (Holiday Inn) we literally had a quick shower dumped our cases and went exploring. We had the most fantastic honeymoon and fell in love with Goa without question our favourite place on the planet :D
oooh Tightjock that made me sooo nostalgic reading that!!!! :( don't you all just miss it so very much when you're not there??!! I get this real longing inside even if i just hear the word candolim!! crazy or what! :roll:
Chilly
with you there Chilly, its the lump in the throat that does me :cry: that and noticing that i'm half way down my last bottle of Honeybee

jayne :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.