France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Ferry Check In.
20 Posts
I've not done that route but I suppose it is like all other ferries. You drive up to the booth, hand the paperwork and passports through the window, they count heads and issue you with a lane number and a thing to hang from the mirror. You drive through. If there is passport control there then you stop again and show passports. You find your lane and join the queue. You can then get out, have a wander, go to the loo and if there is a shop/cafe spend some money. Once ready to board your lane will be directed onto the ferry and you park where they tell you to.
Remember to have anything you need/want for the boat handy before you actually board. You will be parked very close to the cars behind, in front and on both sides of you so getting things in and out of the car is a nightmare. The car behind will probably be so close that you will find it virtually impossible to stand behind your car to get into the boot.
I've been on that ferry but for a Rosslare to Pembroke Crossing and a Rosslare to Pembroke crossing, not a France to Ireland crossing. It's really posh that's for sure, never been on a ferry that was as posh at that, and it's quite smart as ferries go. I've been through Rosslare port too, it's quite boring as nothing was open when I went and the vending machine that sold vending drinks stopped working for one thing. Not sure if it's the same, but when I went through that port, you gave in your paperwork in the terminal, and than sat in lines, before we where moved forward, etc, etc. I got out the car for a while just as long as you get back before they start loading. But this was January, and not many sane people actually take ferries across the sea in the middle of winter do they? So things where not fully open at the time.
Welcome back McGuyver....Looks like the members came through for you as always...Hope to see you around some more...

Regards

Van :wave:
Not sure on THAT crossing but obviously passport control is on opposite shores now so you "should" go through French controls on the Irish side and Irish on the French side and you stay with your car
Especially now a days with the hazard of stowaways

Remember that once the ship is under way then you cannot go back to your car on the car deck so don't forget anything

Enjoy Mont Saint Michel remember to check tides and not park to near the mount or the outer edge of the car park as some of it does become submerged at high tide :) Also if you do want to visit the Abbye remember they charge entry fee although the mount is free and there are some good restaurants on the way up (can't remember the name of the one we used halfway up on the outer wall)
And Mont St Michel is famous for Mère Poularde and her fluffy omelettes!
Alsacienne wrote:
And Mont St Michel is famous for Mère Poularde and her fluffy omelettes!

Trust you to know ta for the reminder of where we ate
Thanks everyone for answering me. Van is right. You all came through for me. I'll let you all know how it was with a full report when I come home. Can't wait to see Mont Michel. I saw photos of it and it looks fab. I'm also looking forward to seeing where the Dday landing beaches are too. Fantastic stuff for a history buff like me and to introduce my 4 year old son to it as well. In the meantime I will look in regular from now till then to see if I can offer any advice. Cheers all.

Ivan.
Mont saint Michel

a little add on the causeway to the Abbaye was a narrow gauge railway which is why it's so wide as there were two tracks
the car parks are about 10-15 feet below the level of hte causeway and some are even lower
there are quite a lot of tacky tourist shops on the mount but on the road in there are lots of interesting ones and look to see if the windmill is going round if it is there is a milling museum there where you can see how they use wind power and even buy little bags of stone ground wholemeal

from Pontorson (the town before the mount) there is a little river that is fishable (as long as you have the required licence) and most of the roads in the village are named after second world War Generals. There's a nice hotel there with an EXCELLENT bar too
but not a good as the campsite Haliotis where they have free WiFi in their bar

I do hope you have good weather as some times when we get there it's quite dull which doesn't make the history look attractive to search out
On the road out to Mont St Michel you will pass Alligator Bay which is fantastic for kids. http://www.alligator-bay.com/htm/anglais.asp We had a wet holiday at Dol de Bretagne in 2007 and went to Alligator Bay just as a trip out expecting it to be not up to much and intending to do something else afterwards. We spent several hours there and our girls who were 6 and 3 at the time loved it. I highly recommend it.
Thanks everyone. I will be having a look at all those places when we get there.

Ivan.
;)
Hi Guys sorry if i,m hijacking this thread a little but we intend visiting Mont St Michel in August, and I wanted to know if the car parks you mentioned have height barriers, as my "car" (Landrover) is almost 2mtrs high and I have probs getting in some carpark areas. :think

Gaz
untidytdi wrote:
Hi Guys sorry if i,m hijacking this thread a little but we intend visiting Mont St Michel in August, and I wanted to know if the car parks you mentioned have height barriers, as my "car" (Landrover) is almost 2mtrs high and I have probs getting in some carpark areas. :think

Gaz

Hi Gaz

Well I had a Frontera when we went and they have a special area for Camping Cars (motor homes) so you'll be fine
Thanks Gray
It can get frustrating when barriers are just a couple of inches too low for us and there,s no parking in the street :really

Gaz
No problems with questions like that Gaz just remember to check the tides height extra high ones flood the carparks :tup
I had a roof box on the car when we went to Mont St Michel and I was fine with it. I can't get under the 6ft/1.83m barriers (I found that out the hard way :whoops ) but the 2m ones aren't a problem.
Hi all.
Just back from our trip to France. All I will say for now is why woild you bother flying ever again???
The ferry is fab. I think this will be our destination for the forseeable future. France itself is a fantastic country. I will write up a report very soon.
Delighted that you had such a good time, and thank you for letting us know. It's very much appreciated when folk contact the site to give feedback especially as in your case when it's positive!
Glad you have had a lovely time :) We always if possible take our own vehicle when we travel, much easier xx It's a good ferry isn't it? Like I said I went on for a short crossing Ireland to the UK, and it's really posh! Even a cinema! :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.