Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
GB Airways
266 Posts
I have been looking for ages to book BA/GB from Gatwick to Alicante next May - was waiting for the prices to come down - glad I did wait as I do not want to travel with Easyjet to Alicante from Gatwick. I suspect that Alicante will not be one of the routes that BA take on as there are many other airlines on that route.

I think our option will be now to wait until Easyjet release their schedules from Stansted (which is close anyway)and then go to Valencia rather than Alicante.

I much prefer the likes of BA which still offer a snack and allocated seating and an easy to use online check in facility. I really do not like the boarding scrum of the low cost airlines!

Pippa
Hi pippa, thats exactly the same reasons we booked with BA.

Deb.
Hmm, don't think my husband is going to like this news much! He flies Saudi/Bahrain/UK/Lanzarote with BA and GB Airways every six weeks. I suppose he will now have to be rerouted via Madrid on BA which will add to his flying time :(
Madsue, Can he not route Saudi/Madrid/Lanzorote without having to do the UK thing in the future perhaps? Would have thought (although not checked) Iberia and one world alliance should offer some kind of alternative.
Fraid not nivsy, has to land in either UK, Germany or Netherlands apparently. Madrid is not "on the list" for Saudi flights!!! He normally does go back via Madrid as he flies out of Heathrow and BA provide an overnight hotel, but the GB Airways LGW/ACE is a much quicker way home!
I'm in the same position as you Debdon. I've a flight booked to Tunis in May with BA/GB and I've just got the e-mail. I've used them several times in the past but the main reason I booked with them this time was that they have daily flights, and I'm going out for a weekend to a wedding and can't really afford any more time. For the future, if it means prices come down I'll be able to grin and bear it, though Easyjet wouldn't be my airline of choice, but if prices stay the same but the service deteriorates I'll be seriously unhappy!!
Just this minute got the email for GB Airways. How come I read it on here first?
Thats my problem as much as anything else, we have paid for the services of BA/GB, meal, drinks, bigger luggage allowance, when in fact we won't get any of those things if we have to travel with Easyjet. One of the major things I liked was being able to check in on line the day before so you knew what seats you had before leaving for the airport. We even done that coming home from Beni in the summer using an internet cafe. The point is, we're not gonna get what we paid for, if indeed we have to transfer to Easyjet.

Part of their email says, you can either transfer or get a refund, I booked early enough to get decent prices, can't see other airlines being the same price if we chose to get refunded. I have 8 people to sort out too - oops!!

Having said all that, as nivsy pointed out, BA could still run the flights.
My problem is really the timetable, as I'm booked to go out on a Friday and no other airlines fly on that day, at least from the South East. Apparently it will be about 8 weeks before Easyjet get in touch to let us know what is happening I also wish I'd used up my Airmiles for my Feb flight, rather than going from Stansted, as I only use them for flights from Gatwick to Tunis, as the savings aren't that great on many routes after taking tax etc. into consideration.

You heard it here first Madsue because there's always someone on here who is up to date with the latest information, though it is never me. :roll:
Sorry Nivsy, I've just re-read your post and it looks as if BA might continue the Tunis route - all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and wait and see.
I see your problem, also in 8 weeks time if you could find another airline, their prices would have gone up too!!

Well we can but hope our flights may just be still operated by BA, fingers crossed.

I don't suppose Airberlin go to Tunis do they - just a thought, as they go from Stansted & are very good to fly with.

Also, may be saying the obvious, but have you tried travelsupermarket.com to see what they come up with.
I think Air Berlin do fly to Tunis but only indirect, which won't be much help. As I'm not going until May and hopefully we should have some clear news by the end of December, I'll leave it until then before exploring other avenues if necessary. That is the problem with booking early, which I hardly ever do, it gives plenty of time for things to change, but I never expected this with BA :roll:
I will report back as soon as I hear anything as I'm sure we all will.
All the best.

Deb.
Nor me, aslemma, but how annoying being an executive club member of BA, and a regular user of GB Airways, that I didn't know this sooner.
Too true Sue, and surely disproves the old saying "It's not what you know but who you know", which only leaves the much truer saying "Trust HT because its members have a way of finding things out." :lol:
Well, it only took BA 24 hours longer than EasyJet to notify us but for what it's worth this email has just arrived:-

Post edited as personal correspondence from BA should not be reproduced on the forums. For more info from BA relating to flights operated by GB Airways, please click here. All BA flights with a flight number between BA6760 and BA6999 are operated by GB Airways.
David HT Mod
damn, I am on BA6945 and BA6948 :(
Out of curiosity I've just had a look at Travelsupermarket and a flight is still showing LGW/TUN for the date and time I've booked in May. :shrug -
Just got my email!! Doesn't make any difference to us though as we are travelling to Malta with BA/GB in January.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.