Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
GB Airways
266 Posts
In response to M&N's post, I would love to have the opportunity to cancel my flights but this won't be an option until the sale is completed around the end of December. Crockett also earlier raised the issue of Easyjet only issuing fares 7 months in advance - my GB tickets are for 31st July so I can't see Easyjet confirming flight details, for those travelling after July, in December when the sale is compete.
Roseweb,
The factors list you quote from Wikipedia is not an exhaustive one, and many of those quoted apply but, to summarise, GB currently operate longer routes (where Easy and Ryanair do not compete) and have a target passenger of somebody who is (or was) willing to pay a little extra to get a full service with a little more comfort than the "squeeze-them-in" charter flights operating those routes. The more "upmarket" travel companies also use them for block-bookings or even whole-aircraft charters for that very reason - the fact that they are scheduled, full service and inclusive luggage is perceived as a differentiator vs the Thomsonfly, TCX and others.
Easy and Ryan depend on a mass market cut-to-the-bare-bones no frills service offering - stack them high and sell them cheap. The aspects of this type of service attract a different sort of customer - willing to put up with no hold baggage (or to pay extra for it), no allocated seat, get there quick, get there cheap - this could be second-homers, businessmen on day or overnight trips, students and migrant workers (not to mention the infamous stag and hen parties) plus "traditional" holiday makers on DIY holidays who are willing to accept the lower level of service for a lower price.
The short route, multi-sector days operated by the typical Easy aircraft and crew is totally different to the longer haul routes operated by GB where an aircraft/crew may only do one or two flights in a day. The turn-round times are significantly longer for GB (1-2 hours) and, on some routes, there are crew stopovers.
Hence my contention that the GB routes and schedules do not fit in to the Easy operating model for several reasons - passenger expectations being only one of them. Therefore, I see three alternative scenarios - one is that Easy are sticking their toes in to a whole new market where the GB service offering will remain relatively unchanged and the fleet will be used as a starting point for building a "medium haul" service offering. Any cost savings will be by way of consolidation of ground crew and support functions. Second scenario is that Easy will keep the routes/aircraft but attempt to use their own service offering on them - fine in the longer term but bad for those who have already booked and paid for the GB service on flights post-March 2008. Thirdly, it could be that all Easy want is the slots at LGW and the routes will be dropped, the aircraft returned (they are currently leased) and Easy will continue in their existing market.
Personally, I hope that the first scenario is the intention as I believe that there is a market for medium haul routes that compete favourably with the charter operators as regards comfort and service - I would rather (and often have) chosen to fly GB rather than FC, TCX, TOM etc. and pay a little extra to do so.
I must confess a little self interest as I love Gibraltar (it is a love it or hate it sort of place!), the wife and I married there nearly 9 years ago and I fondly remember GB Air Vickers Viscounts operating to LHR many moons ago - it is a shame that a little piece of Gibralta's history is fading away :-(

Cheers,
Jet
A Brilliant summing up Jet.
On another part of Easy's site it says that they will continue flights on the GB routes for next season but will reserve the option to discontinue those which are not viable. I only use GB to fly to Tunis but if Easy should do the Stansted to Monastir route I'd switch to them at the drop of a hat, regardless of their service (or lack of it) provided the price was right. :lol:
I had booked to go Gatwick to Paphos for next August. I rang BA at the end of last week and was given a full refund, although I was told it wont be in my account for another 4 weeks.

I have since received an email stating 'I can now advise you that a refund has been processed to the card below, and the value will appear on the account in the near future.' It has not appeared in the account as yet.

Meanwhile we booked with another company so that we could keep the villa we had booked and not have to worry about it. We will now be flying to Larnaca from Heathrow, it isnt convenient but I would prefer to do that than leave it till they let me know what is happening to flights!
Jetnoise,
on the e-mail I received from BA it says that flights after March 2008 will be operated under the easyJet brand and advises me to visit the easyJet website for info on the service I will receive, i.e. no inflight meal, having to pay for hold luggage etc.
Friends have booked the same flights today (to Corfu) through the BA website which is still offering the same terms as when we booked, a bit naughty of them. (BA, not my friends!)
BA are being a bit naughty and that's what I was getting at earlier.

You would think that during the booking process on the BA site they would flash up a clear statement along the lines of "subject to the take-over of GB airways being approved and our franchise with them being terminated, service levels on this flight may differ from those advertised on this site" so you at least have an idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

Currently, unless you're a member of this excellent site or have already booked with BA/GB and received the e-mail from them outlining the proposed future change, you are very much in the dark as to what's going on.
I'm a bit worried, as this is slightly confusing!!!
I booked flights from Gatwck to Alicante next Aug.
I didn't want to wait and see what happens, I rang BA and they assured me that a refund would be offered, so I have booked a bargain holiday to the Caribbean!!
I looked at the BA website today and out of interest they are still showing the route. When I asked my friend who works for BA at Gatwick he says it's because BA may take the route over themselves. This being the case, I'm worried I may not get a refund??
Any thoughts or ideas as to what's going on.
As far as I am aware of the routes being transferred to BA from GB Airways - the LGW-ALC is NOT one of them.

I suggest you press BA if you remain worried and ensure that you ask them when your refund will be credited.

I know it must be very frustrating for everyone who have been left confused and annoyed on how this has all been handled.

Nivsy
Is it known then which routes BA are taking over from GB?
It is understood that BA intend to operate the following routes as full BA routes: LGW-AGP (Malaga), LGW-FAO (Faro), LGW-GIB (Gibraltar), LGW-IBZ (Ibiza), LGW-TUN(Tunis), LGW-PMI(Palma), LHR-AGP AND LHR-FAO.

Remember always check with your carrier for up dates. This information is over two weeks old now and I have heard nothing to confirm or update latest BA aspirations.

Nivsy
I do hope your understanding is the right one Nivsy, particularly LGW/TUN, as my flight and hotel is booked for May. I've just had a look on the BA website and the flight is still shown but I won't be able to relax until it's been confirmed.
I think that we need to clarify a small point here, and that is that BA are not taking these routes over from GB. The LGW flights/slots are included in the sale, so it is Easy that are taking these over as part of the purchase of GB. Easy have stated that they will continue to operate all the routes they are acquiring with GB for the season and will then review.
BA have stated that they are considering STARTING to operate on some of the routes currently operated on their behalf by GB - therefore, if they decide to do so, they will be operating in competition with Easy on those routes. A subtle difference, but important never-the-less. If you have already booked with GB for a flight post-March 2008, then that flight will be operated by Easy. If BA decide to start up on any of those routes, then you will have the opportunity to book with them in the future when they open up the flight for bookings. I do not believe that you will be transferred from the GB/Easy flight to the BA equivalent. Easy have said that you will be able to cancel your flight after the take-over, but you will then have to book seperately with BA (if they decide to operate that route) and pay whatever BA are asking.
Caveat emptor!

Cheers,
Jet
As long as I can get to Tunis in May I'm not really bothered who gets me there, though obviously I'll be miffed at having paid more for less, even though I personally will only have hand luggage on that occasion. For the future, if BA and Easy are in competition on some routes it can only be a good thing, particularly as I can use my Airmiles on BA flights.
Point well clarified Jetnoise....thank you.

Nivsy :glynis
Sorry Havent had time to read all the posts, so hope this hasnt already been posted; this is Easy's statement about their acquisition:http://www.easyjet.com/en/News/easyjet_to_acquire_gb_airways.html
Call me a cynic but it seems to me all they want is the take off/landing slots and by next winter they will have axed all the roues that dont suit their "business model", I rather suspect that will include the new Corfu route which was going so well with GB. They have said before they have looked at Corfu and said it was too far!!!
Good point about the sale agreement bagand96; they say the sale should go through by the latest 31 Jan 2008 (see .http://www.easyjet.com/common/img/easyjet_gb_airways_acquisition.pdf thats going to be a bit late for people to make a good alternative arrangement for this summer isnt it, but explains why the routes are still being sold by GB/BA and not Easyjet, there is many a spill twixt the cup and the lip!
I agree with Jet about their stack em high sell em cheap policy, and their clientele. GB's clientele would have suited us much better.
Call me a cynic but it seems to me all they want is the take off/landing slots

Nail and head spring to mind!

Darren
Its the take off slots from Gatwick that are important the landing slots don't matter
Its the take off slots from Gatwick that are important the landing slots don't matter

They are if you want to land at Gatwick. To operate a flight (ie take off), you need to land first!!

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.