Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Ellie-meg, I have a red book and I sent it off with my passport to get my name changed and it came back in a week, no problems. I also did the same with my driving licence and had no problems there either. I have never been asked for a translation for anything and if anyone asks you can tell them there is a translation in the back of the book anyway.

Kedi
thanks for that, but im really cross now because i did explain all this to the dvla but she refused to accept what i was saying, i said the marriage licence was an international document etc but she said it didnt make a difference as i got married outside the uk i needed it translating, i tried my hardest to make her understand as someone else had already told me that the turkish licence was fine, but i got nowhere with this dvla woman , looks like i got someone that didnt know what they were talking about grr and now ive just renewed my passport in my maiden name, so looks like im stuck with that for the next 10 years unless i pay for it to be changed grr, what a nightmare, my hubby hasnt been happy i havent changed my name as it causes complications being married with different names lol
It's so annoying when you get someone who just wont accept what you are saying. As for your passport you would have to get a new passport in your new name which wont be cheap. I have heard of other people who had problems with their red book too. I never asked with either my passport or my driving licence, just sent it off. Sometimes it's best not to ask first because people don't know what they are talking about half the time...
hey! when i got wed in oct 06 and came home the following month i too had all these difficulties, it was a nightmare!in the end i first changed my passport even though id only just got a new one grrrrr, more money but it meant changing driving license, bank accounts n everything so much easier!dvla too had told me they wouldnt accept it, but come on it is an international recognised document!it was a lot of hassle at the time but now its done-phew lol!take care xxx
My daughter married in Turkey and she took her red book to the British consulate in Marmaris. She was sent 3 copies of her marriage certificate to UK. She has just sent one off to change passport.She will be changing bank account and driving license this week. Mind she married in October!!! It's her first week off and she is cabin crew hence not being able to change name. Just hope passport here next week or she will be in trouble :D
im coming up to my 3rd year anniversary and still in my maiden name, out of principle i wont pay another £70+ for passport as i think thats gone up too much as it is and ive only just got it a few mths ago, i suppose at the end of the day its only a name lol
hey haymans74 just wanted to sya your wedding pictures are lovely :) looks like a lovely ceramony
cass xx
This is for Kedi really but hi to you all, My daughter and her bloke are costing me a Turkish fortune by insisting that they get Married in Bodrum castle 23rd may 3pm if anyone wants to come!!
Anyhoo, all my Turkish pals have been fantastic in helping me organise but confusion reigns regarding blood tests , some say yes some say no. We are planned into travelling to the British Consul in Izmir 20th May to present the couple, the blood test results (getting done in Izmir that morning)and certificates from England to be translated. I have since found that there is a British consul in Bodrum. Can anyone tell me if I can save the blood test and the trip to Izmir?
Your help would be appreciated
Thanks
Al
Hi Al,

Is your daughter marrying and English or Turkish man? Because I think there are different things that need doing in each case. I am married to a Turkish man so we had to get blood tests done, we went to Bodrum local hospital and then we had to go somewhere else after to get a report. We then took all our paperwork to the register office in Bodrum, you don't need to take blood test results to the consulate, they only need he certificate of non-impediment and birth certificate. you then need to go to the governor's office to get a stamp.

Anyhow, you have to go to the consulate in Izmir as the one in Bodrum doesn't deal with marriages unfortunately. It does take a bit of running around and I avise getting to the consulate early as they close for a couple of hours during the middle of the day.

Anyhting else you need to know just ask.

Kedi
Thanks a lot as well its as I thought but I thought the blood test had to be taken to the consul.
Cheers.
If you about on the day pop in.
Al
i married another brit in turkey and we didnt need to have blood tests done but the british consulate in antalya told me different areas have different regulations and some areas you did need blood tests done and that fethiye office didnt require blood tests for brits marrying brits,so we did all our registrar paperwork etc in fethiye, so i would email or ring the consulate in izmir just to double check, im sure you wont need to but better to make sure. you will need passport photos, cert of non impediment, birth certs and if either have been married before degree nisi and of course some cash
As far as I am aware British people don't need blood tests but best check with the consulate. I don't actually know why Turkish people need them anyway. Hope they have a great day x
My Turkish pal Adem has organised the trip to Izmir and he reckons that they need blood test in Izmir before they go to the consulate with all their bits and bobs from England so I think we will do what he says and it covers all the bases.
Thanks Everyone for their advice,
Al
Hi,
This is my first time as a member of this site although i have used it before to get reviews regarding hotels.

What i wanted to know is, i am getting married in Turkey (Sarigerme) in September and am not sure
if we can have my partners brother as the best man as some people have said we cant because he is
a relative ? Is this true.

Im also a bit worried what we will be able to do as a celebration after the wedding, i dont want it to be a 30 min event then all over we have 30 guests flying out.

Also why so far from the hotel to the consulate etc to do the paperwork, First Choice have told us 8 hour round trip.

Would be very grateful if anyone could answer any of these questions and put my mind at ease.

Thanks
Sam
I got married in Turkey, although I married a Tukrish man so we did things a bit differently. I am not too sure whether you can have a relation as a witness to sign the register, we had friends as our witnesses, whoever you choose though ake sure they have hir passort with them for ID or they wont be able to sign. I will find out for you about relatins as witnesses.

Our actual marriage ceremony lasted 10 minutes !! We had a party later on the beach with a meal and drinks.

We had to go to Izmir to get our paperwork done, it took 3 hours by bus then we had to hang around Izmir for a few hours then 3 hours back, hatwas from Bodrum. If you are going on an arranged trip it may take a bit less time. You can only get the paperwork done at certain consulates, the small ones don't deal with marriages.

Anything else you want to know just ask and hopefuly I will be able to help.

Kedi x
Hi Sam

You are not allowed to have immediate family members as witnesses . My wife and i got married 3 years ago in Icmeler and had to travel to the British Consulate in Izmir to complete our paperwork and it took us about 8 hours for the return journey ,, about 3 hour drive each way and a couple of hours in Izmir including stopping for lunch .
what?! My brother and my aunt were my witnesses. Yes it is a long trip to the consulate and a bloomin' scary one at that- through mountains at great speed- I was pooping myself the whole way there and back.
First choices wedding planner was fab- we had a great 'do' afterwards and she organised it all for us in a matter of days- couldn't rate it highly enough.
Hi Helen03,

Thanks for replying, now you can see why im a little confused about who can and cant be involved in the wedding.

Perhaps we will have to let my partners brother be best man but have different wittnesses if need be.

Im glad you are so possitive about First Choice Wedding Planner as that is who we have booked with.
I had visions of once the ceremony was over all of us just being left to our own devices to make our own entertainment ?

Hopefully will be able to arrange something nice for afterwards.

Thanks again,
Sam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.