Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
We were in GS a few weeks ago in early June for a fortnight. Great weather and a couple on our coach from Varna were dropped off at Pliska....never saw them again...:o)

See my couple of posts further down regarding GS this season and excursions from the Balkan Reps.

The Raffethingy Bank (opp Gibraltar restaurant) has now moved. If you go NORTH on the promenade and passed The Admiral hotel you will find it about 30 mtrs down in a line of shops/boutiques. It still gives great rates and much fairer to you than any of the hotel exchange desks or street booths you will be accustomed to.

GS seemed much quieter this year to us but hopefully will have livened up a wee bit by now if thats your style...The Gibraltar still includes a free drink when you choose a main course abnd their food is pretty good too. Most bars offer 2 for 1 cocktails around 9 levs and large beers for 2-3 levs. A lot of them seemed have happy hours on all the time. The best priced single cocktail we felt was on offer ffor 3 lev somewhere on the prom...cant remember where though. All the bar touts are gagging for your cash and some still pursue you long after you've walked by.

Hope you have a great time...we hope to book up for The Nympha Hotel again next year later this week. Regards Jim
Hi Jim,
Thanks for that. I have replied on the the NEW MEMBER thread I sent on this page. Glad you had a good time. GS is a great resort. Will let you know how our holiday went.

cornish lad. :tup
My partner and I were in Golden Sands earlier this month. We stayed at the Melia Grand Hermitage, and loved it. The hotel was wonderful, the resort was clean and fun, and quite beautiful. I don't know anything about the Pliska hotel... sorry... But my overall impression of GS was positive. The only negative is the incessant harassment by the people selling crap on the main drag. It gets really old really soon. If one doesn't let oneself be too bothered by it, then one can have a good time and enjoy the charm of the place.

Have fun!
Hi Just back , I have also stayed in Pliska a few years ago ...but I had a wee look yesterday for you in the pool area & the dining room & bar ....since I was last in this hotel 2005 they have extended the bar at the pool , the pool is the same the restaurant is the same in the bar they have removed the picnic benches & put padded benches in instead. hope this helps.

Golden Sands has really changed not only since I started going in 2002 but since last year ....Captians Table restaurant is no more as is the aldo supermarket also the bank just over from the Aldo across from the Chinese restaurant also the two restaurants Stochi & the one behind it are gone all demolished the aldo,bank & Cap's table were only up a few years .

Golden Sands restaurants,shops,ect are having a terrible season as was predicted on these boards months ago .

Best exchange for cash was at the bank behind the Admiral 2.20 lv - £1
Best I saw in a booth that was ok was 2.15 at the Ten Bowling next to Bonkers.

Some booths are offering 2.31 but this is what they sell at so don't be kidded.

In Varna you can get 2.27 ....just down from the New Yorker department store .

Lots of pubs offering happy hours 2 for 1 ...beers & cocktails ...& 1 free drink with meals.

We went (when eating in GS) to Izbata on party street just down from the Perunika on the other side with the tall grey headed guy trying to lure you into it ....we found the food good & reasonably priced
Hi doa,
Thanks for the info. I used the bowling alley last time to change my money, but I think Iwill try the bank by the admiral as you suggested. We always go to varna for some shopping so will change some more there. Glad you had a good time GS does hold something special as holidays go, and we have so many friends over there including Ilia a taxi driver who takes us out for a whole day to the villages and small towns for 140 lev, brilliant value and well worth doing if any other people read this post. Off in august bring it on :tup. Going to get another tattoo on the promenade, the last one was very well done and good value.

Cornish lad
Hi, me and Mrs P going to the Pliska Hotel on 8th Aug (with Balkan). Been to SB but this will be first time to GS and really looking forward to it. Most reviews I've seen of the Pliska are good. As we are going B&B, any recommendations for good restaurants for evening meals etc will be appreciated. Are there shops (eg supermarket) near the Pliska for water, snacks etc? I have read the advice about the Cash Machines (eg beside the Admiral), is that the nearest one to Pliska?

Any other advice will be welcome. I'll update about the hotel on our return.

Cheers

Ray
Like doa we are just back from G/S had a great holiday Weather a bit unpredictable as had a few thunder storms ,also had a few power cuts :rofl The prices are a lot higher than expected .Also this year G/S has a lot of young people in it ,more than usual as it used to be a family resort.Hardly any Brits this year to.But still a good holiday resort :cheers Wish i was still there :cry June
Hi All,
The bank is not far from the hotel. If you go down on the promenade and walk to the left you will see the train terminal, the big hotel behind it is the admiral/ bank. As for eating I found a few but as it is 2 yrs since I was last there I cannot remember the names. It will take about 5/10 minutes to get to the bank, but whats the hurry take a stroll and enjoy the resort. Glad you had a good time June and hope to hear about your stay at the pliska Ray.

Cornish lad :cheers
the problem is that the Pliska rents rooms out by the hour to prostitutes and there has been numerous complaints about it, saying that its a basic clean hotel, with a very good pool, as been said in a previous post alot of GS has changed
Hi,

I have recently returned from a holliday in Golden Sands and I stayed in Pliska. I had read the forums before going but was willing to go with an open mind and I'm glad I did.
My partner and I both enjoyed the holiday and have no complaints about Pliska. Yes, it's not a 5* hotel but we were happy with our room and with the hotel is general.
The only time we ever saw prostitutes was late at night, near the clubs but even then, they didn't seem to be bothering people passing by.
We ate in the hotel one night and really enjoyed the food and it turned out to be our cheapest meal all week!

The only thing that bothered us was the constant harrassment when trying to walk anywhere by the bar owners/club reps etc but by the second day we had learnt to say no thanks.

I'm sure you will enjoy the holiday in GS as well as in Pliska
Hi kalg,
Glad you had a good time. Not long before I go, it is nice to know the hotel is not as bad as some people say it is. I will post my holiday report when I get back in sept.

Cornish lad :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.