Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Golden Sands Q@As
157 Posts
Hi Patka, you are right evryday including Sunday there is a big market just 10 mins walk from the Centrum. Tonyt
Hi, we are thinking of booking a Holiday this yr in October to Hotel Krystal in Golden Sands, I have read great things about the Hotel, so no worries there, but Im wondering what the resort will be like in October (first week), will all the shops & resturants still be open ??? any feedback welcome.
Thanks.
Ruthiebell welcome to the forums. Please do not post in coloured font (which I have removed). In your reply box you will see a notice for the rules of posting on this site which are:-

Rules Of Posting:

1) Do NOT post in all CAPITALS - Your post WILL be deleted.
2) Do NOT post in TXT message style - Your post WILL be deleted.
3) Do NOT post in COLOURED/LARGE fonts in the holiday resort forums - Your post WILL be deleted
Oh Sorry about this ... honestly never noticed :oops: Anyway can anyone help with my query.
Hi All,

As I wrote in an earlier topic, me and my girlfriend want to get married in Bulgaria. (We are 27 28 years)

I have spoken with the Bulgarian Embassy in Norway and the Norwegian Embassy in Bulgaria and the answer I got from them was dissapointing.
It is only possible if one of us is living permanently in Bulgaria, and neither of us are.
So... To make our wedding legal, we have to do it in Norway.

I am that kind of person that never gives up before I know i`m beat, and therefore I am searching this forum.
We want some kind of seremony while we are down there, because Bulgaria means a lot to us, and we want to give each other a YES in Bulgaria.

Is there anyone of you here in this forum, or do you know anyone that is going to Golden Sands 26-02 Aug. who can marry us?

Does anyone here have any experience in getting married in Bulgaria? We dont mind if its official or not. The papers can easyly be done here in Norway when we get back. Five minutes with two witnesses and a judge is all we need back home..

I hope someone can help us !! :lol:

-Norwegian
Hi Folks just back from golden sands and still more and more changes.Lots of new discos this year also lots of new bars .The money change varied from one weeek to the next we got .2.78 to 2.80leva to the pound.Prices higher than last year but still good value for money.Lots of children begging which was not good.The Kempinski Grand Hemitage is now open as people were in it on Thursday when we walked past it,so hope that helps some of you who are going .Lots of young people in the resort this year to :glynis :sun We had two thunder storms when we were there and a few dull days but still very warm :shrug :rage The Iglika hotal has been flatend and it is private appartments for sale :ghug
Hi June,

Interesting report, not happy to hear about the beggars.

There have been new developments about the Kempinski, see -

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=31091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Things are not what they appear!!

It is open but neither a Kempinski hotel, nor complete, and only partially operational.

Patka
hithere!

a bulgarian living in Dk here...well, the rules for getting married in BG are the following: only specially designated civil servants at the municipalities can do it...it requires about a month of paperwork and health-tests before that (including blood, HIV/AIDS tests, etc, x-ray)...the waiting period could be made shorter if there are special reasons but normally it is 1 month, so the couple gives it a good consideration.....i'm afraid no one else can and will do a ceremony- the act itself would be illegal, let alone the marriage certificate is only issuable by the municipality...even church marriages are possible ONLY after they see the civil marriage certificate- and priests can be criminally prosecuted if they do otherwise......
so, all in all, i'm not optimistic you can do the ceremony as planned next month in BG....but i'm surprised the rules won't let you get married unless one of the couple lives there- there could be some way around it, but not around the paper-work and health-tests unfortunately (because dangerous diseases of one of the spouses that the other one didn't know about are grounds for annulment- so, the health tests are required, so that if something shows up, a declaration is signed that the risk is known, etc, etc). If your gf is bulgarian, by lawi she is considered as "permanently living" in BG , although she lives abroad- so you can nevertheless get married in her municipality......but maybe she's not bulgarian?

My advice would be to get married in Norway and have a honeymoon in BG- you can have a wonderful experience nonetheless.

good luck
Hi Patka yes there is a lot of work still to be done on it we watched them from our hotel putting up the signs, it is not all opened but the guest are in it .They were still working at 10'oclock at night .All the people we spoke to who were booked in there were transfered to the Helios Spa :oops: 8)
Hi June52,

You say prices are higher than last year. Can you give some examples?

Cheers,
CB
Children begging - thats so sad - were they alone or were their parents nearby? Poor little mites :(

And whats the best thing to do in these situations - is it best to ignore them or is it safe to give them money? Just Ive heard stories of being hassled if you do give beggars money.

I cant imagine seeing children begging in the street, Im not what you would call well-travelled, having only had holidays in the spanish islands.
hi

We found that when children were begging there was always an adult nearby, what we did was give the children food and drink or some sweets rather than give them money which was appreciated by the children and benefitted them.

yvonne
Food and drink were up meals by about 2leva and drink by a leva its not much but a bit of a jump from last year but still value for money as we have went for years we notice the diffrence this year as to last year,clothes shoes and jewellery are all up as well ,as for the beggers there but they keep asking for money every time you pass them ,also there is disabled people sit begging for money we were told by Bulgarian friends never to give them money We watched them lifting the money out of the box they have and put it in there pockets so as to look as if there is nothing in . :shrug :tut
Hi I got back from Golden sands on friday and I did not see any begging kids! there were two disabled people begging if you could call it that they just sat there with a plastic cup and didnt say anything! I was not hassled once in the resort apart from the girls handing out the flyers for the night clubs. Varna on the other hand was full of beggars you had to almost fight them off! but it was still a gret place to visit the Cathedral was amasing!
We saw the kids with the accordians there was at least four of them also the two men with no legs .We seen one of them take of his artaficial legs and move around on a skate board,also the women whos legs were badly disformed,The kids who were begging for money were alwas at the Gibralta and up the road to the Havana,theywere also out side the Perunika where the ladies of the night hang out :bow
Hello, im just wondering what sort of activities are there in golden sands, im going with my family on the 7th of august, theres 8 of us in total :? ranging from 11 to 21 plus my mother and father. we have been to bulgaria twice before, but i heard things in golden sands have changed in the years we have not come. will there be enough for us all to do e.g. nightclubs for the older ones and fun activities that the whole family can do.

Also can you suggest some nice beers ? being irish its hard to find anything as nice as guinness or harp :D thanks
Also can you suggest some nice beers ? being irish its hard to find anything as nice as guinness or harp

There are many Bulgarian beers, some of which can be seen HERE.

You should find Stolichno Bock good, a bit like Murphys - at a much lower price.

IIRC, there is an Irish Bar in GS and also in Varna (on Maria Luiza Boulevard), which is a short bus/taxi ride away.
Hi - does anyone know what this is like towards the end of September? Is everything shut? Thinking about going back for another week to Bulgaria for my birthday, but perhaps to GS instead of SB. Is GS much quieter than SB?
dont know what it is like in Sept as always go in July .This year it was very busy and a lot of young peple there this time .and lots of new clubs and discos G/S used to be a family resort but getting more for the young people hope this is of some help to you :offtop
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.