Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Good Toilet Guide
115 Posts
If you have any concern for the environment ,then may i recommend the pig toilets!!! It is best to find a raised from the ground one so that pigggie cannot reach your bum with it`s snout.
Also a jug of water in your right hand and using your left hand as the paper alternative is really much cleaner than using paper +your nice little botty will feel the benefits all day. Toilet paper is really nasty stuff.
Martinez.
PS wash your hands really well after the jug method.
:shock: :shock: no i think not, sorry!! we always take wet ones down to the beach and dont flush them away we use the bucket, also we swear by a instant hand sanitizer you can get in shop in goa, its called"" klin hands"" its a small bottle of blue gel( about half the size of a packet of ciggies) (very convenient to carry) and you put a small drop on your hands and rub them toghether to cleanse your hands, and they dry in an instant,( cost 29 rupees) very similar to what they use in hospitals another place you can get it is in superdrug its a lemon one there and its 99p it comes in usefull if you are like me and suffer with hot hands, it cools them down lovely and with the money (notes )sometimes being a little grubby we always use this stuff if we get a very dirty note, or just as we sit down to eat in a shack after sunbathing it cleans and cools your hands down, we use it where ever we go in the world, up to now no dodgy stomachs!! :D we swear by it :D
whilst on the subject - my friend who is a shack owner of many years said once to my question regarding loos - - the sand is best as it all dries everything up! - and to some extent I have to agree - sand and thistles apart - the new beach shack loos are very modern, but ----where does the poo and wee go to - we must have all thought the same especialy when walking along the beach and seeing the odd torrent of water coming from the direction of some shacks - not saying its worse than before - just different and perhaps the portaloo is better - but as my friend said -- who empties it!! Brian :P
what are pig toilets :oops:
Basically its a toilet above a small pit with a pig in it waiting to relieve you of your bodily waste, environmentaly sound but puts me off eating pork
thanks for that!! I agree with checking out the toilet facilites in restaurants before eating.

Mind you, if during the day we are at a shack we tend to use the sea!!!!
The majority of the toilets I have been have been ok, but had to avoid a few :!:

Found a lovley toilet in a bar near steps at calangute but it kind of looked abit like a space ship :lol:
James' Shack (The New Inn) on Candolim Beach has a spot-on toilet,loo-roll, mirror and lock on door, but do take the hand-wipes with you.
Can anyone add there opinions here of the cleanliness of toilets and availabilty of showers etc of any shacks they have visited. Some of the loo's are awfull (Whole in the sand type) and some are better than the hotels.
:thanks :thanks

The best one I have seen is the Calamari Shack Sinquerim end of Candolim Beach. The worst was Dreamers Shack Calangute Candolim border. :yuck :yuck
I remember the first time we went to Goa- a number of years ago- you were very lucky if any shack had a toilet at all

I remember my husband having a dodgy belly one day and either having the option of running back to the hotel or taking the spade that was offered
Re shack toilets, thay are all hole in the sand toilets, as there is no sewage system in the coastal belt, most accomodation has septic tanks, the shacks simply dig a hole , line it with bricks, and let the contents leach into the sand ( usually not a hundred miles from the kitchen !) the only difference between shacks is how often they clean them. Alan
hi
if you do a search in the goa forum using the keyword 'toilet' you will find down towards the bottom of the page a 'good toilet guide' a thread that was covered a little while ago, sorry im useless at trying to do links to prev posts :D
Millym
Had a look and its more to do with restaurants than beach shacks but thanks anyway
GL :)
bobbys is ok, prefer to use the sea myself :twisted:
MrStella
If needs must
I definately will also use the sea:oops:
Bono's on Candolim beach have 2 seperate toilets with flushing loos as they have a tank above. Also they have basins with running water, soap and towels - What more can you ask for. They have a path leading from the shack which is great. I also use to use the sea but my hubbie can't! :lol:

I use to go to the shacks that had holes in the ground until I found this one. Although most of them around Bono's have similar facilities.

Before everyone asks, the shack is positioned 2 mins on the right from the beach road.
Monicas shack has/had reasonable toilets with running water to the sink, same with Frank Zappas shack.
Incidentally, if you run the water when no one has used the tap for a while you get warm water to wash your hands in!
del949
No matter how clean they are, how nicely the flush, etc etc, the fact of the matter is that what you flush is'nt going anywhere but just draining into the sand around it and as most of them are located right next to the shacks you know where it goes!! In actual fact the sea is the more hygenic option as there its at least dispersed and diluted Alan
Alan, you are of course correct, didn't mean to imply that you weren't.

generally use the sea myself unless it's late in the afternoon and I don't want to get wet again!
del949
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.