Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Why do people like going to Greece?

What makes you go back to the same place, or to a different island?

If you have been to several places which is you favourite and why?
Why I like going to greece has to be the food and the scenery.My fave is Halkidiki on the main land.it has everything I need to make a good holiday.

Cheers Inz. :wave
1. Greece lacks the sophistication of some other Med destinations and for me this is a HUGE plus. I love its' earthiness and lack of pretension.
2. People are great. Tourism exists to make money from tourists, but the Greeks take your money so nicely unlike other places were you just feel you're feeding their bank balance!
4.Greek food is IMO one of the best cuisines in the world.
5. The cradle of Western civilisation.........what more can I say?!
If you've never been GO!! :wink:
duplicate posting deleted
I love Greece, Rhodes in particular. First went there in 1982 on a last minute trip and liked it so much we went back the following year.I am going back in May for the 73rd. time :oops: When I walk in the Town I say yassou to more people than in my local area, we have more friends over there than here!
Swordfish caught and cooked locally (properly not in some tourist restaurant). Stuffed vine leaves. NOT Raki.

I love Cyprus so much, but been to Kos, Corfu, Crete and Greece itself.

I love the way that the traditional restaurants and the people are so family friendly. Been to Greece and Cyprus with my parents many a time and now that I am a parent love going there with the kids. They are always so welcome and fussed over.
Hi all, I also love greece, been to Kos five times now and look forward to it every time. Also been to rhodes and cyprus. We went to Almeria southern spain, and Florida but didn't find any of them as welcoming as in greece, the people make you feel so welcome especially in areas away from tourism and they can't do enough for you and your children. Everything is so laid back.We find the ruins and history of the Greek islands interesting always out and about looking for new things to look at.
Another Greece lover. GOing in May and also again in August. What can I say? As well as the weather and scenery (olive groves and goats grazing) the life style of the real Greece is so laid back and relaxing. I could spend hours in the little villages just watching the locals in their traditional black attire go about their business. The food is mouth wateringly tasty and the people so friendly.

Who needs five star all-inclusives (though I have tried one), when a basic clean Greek villa gives you more of an insight into this idylic way of life. Ahh! 4 weeks today I'll be living this life - if only for a week.
I love going to the Greek mainland. I mostly go to Tolo but I did go to Stoupa for 3 years.

You either love or hate Tolo, we go in Sept and we see the same faces each time. Usually catch up over a beer (or 2). I have met people though who hate it and would never return.
Why do I love it .....it is relaxing, the food is good, the beer is cold and the locals are friendly.

It is a good base to tour historical sites such as Mycenea, Epidavarus, Tyrins (not sure if spellings are correct). There is also Nemea, a wine area, where you can buy nice wine very cheaply. You can also get boat trips to the islands such as Hydra and Spetses.

We usually mix the holiday, some days we sit in a taverna, swim, sunbathe, eat, drink and chat with friends. Other days we are energetic and go off exploring.
It is total relaxation, even locals you have just met are like old friends.

You can do as much or as little as you want and nobody bats an eyelid.

Greece is very special :love
Greece is magical we have enjoyed 2 consecutive visits to Corfu and Zante before that, trying Egypt this year as it is alot cheaper in the school hols but me thinks i am going to miss Greece :P :P
We love it too went in 1993 for our honeymoon to argassi in zante then back there with our little one in 2001 and going back to zante but laganas this year and probably pay a visit to argassi as we really loved it, like people say the greeks are so friendly people and the food is delicious to say the least can`t wait 14 weeks on sunday yippeeeeeeeee 8) :lol:
Just read your post re Tolo. We're going there for the 1st time at the start of July. I'm really looking forward to it and think I'll love it. Have been to islands previous, so this os the 1st attempt at the mainland.
Just wondering why do you say some people hate Tolo? Got me worried!! :?
Fear not toasted mallow,you'll love it.I too cannot understand why anyone would hate tollo,we went last year after many years on the quieter side of the pelops,mainly as a base to get around.Much to our surprise we enjoyed lazy days on the beach/tavernas,people watching and chatting to the very friendly locals.It is a busy 'town' by greek standards but thats half the charm,tourism fits in with everyday life not the other way round.The real beauty is of course,the wide variety of places/islands you can get to so easily.there is something for everyone and in the evenings you,ll be spoilt for choice in the excellent tavernas in tollo.Enjoy.
Hi

Reading through loads of forums and holiday posts about Greek resorts i read comments like "Not very Greek" or "It used to a real fishing port" and the dreaded "They've got a macdonalds"

Chris C's post Tips about Kalamaki has a Laganas section which i feel is a bit harsh towards the decent bussinesses in the resort. I've sat at the pool bar in the Alexander Hotel (one of the biggest package hotels in the resort of Laganas) eating grilled fish and tomatoes with a local fisherman and his wife who worked at the pool bar. How Greek can you get ?

And the next day i went out on the boat with him free diving with mask, fins and weight belt for octopus in Laganas Bay round by Marathia (just under the 1st webcam site)

Back in 2001 while walking around the surrounding villages of Laganas i chanced upon an elderly local man having trouble to start his three wheeled cart. After a bit of "Greenglish" chat i got the engine started and there i was sitting on the back of the cart, next to his gardening tools and a basket of veg having a lesiurely ride through the olive groves back towards Laganas. He dropped me off near my appartments and went on his way waving his cap in the air..

All around the resort of Laganas there are some real gems and the half mile of clubs and pubs and fish and chips is not all Laganas has to offer. :wink:

Nut
Thanx DL1. You've reassured me!. It sounds perfect. A good mix of lazing /eating/ sightseeing!!
Just received our tickets for Corfu. Better start sorting my holiday clothes soon. 3 weeks today. Never been abroad for just a week before. I hope it won't pass too quickly.
this thread hasn't caused me any problems so i have made it a permenant sticky but please remember if problems arise it can be pulled from the board

hope you enjoy your chat

wizard
Sorry to get you worried toastedmarshmallow (and thank you DL1 for your comments) :oops: .
When I said some people hate it it is because they are looking for a lively resort with bars and nightclubs and whilst there are bars and nightclubs it is not a 'club 18 - 30' resort.
Both me and my husband love the place, this year will be Chris's (hubby) 15th visit.

We aren't going until September. It seems so far away :(
:oops: sorry it should have been toastedmallow, megga embarrassment and many apologies for the error.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.