Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Tis. You having a lie in :rofl You've usually signed on by this time :shock: I'll log on when I get to work :wink: Gail
Hi Gail

Nope - no lie-in this morning either (I wish)! Have just been running around like a loony getting the kids fed and watered before we go to Tesco (oh joy) :D

The place I'd love to buy a villa is Port Vell - up the road past Cala Bona as there are some seriously fantastic villas there. I'd hazard a guess at them being a bit pricey so would deffo need a lottery win for one of those.

The other place I'd really fancy (if it were ever on the market) is the apartment above Smithy's in the harbour. It has a massive window on the front with a balcony and I reckon the views across the harbour would be fantastic - a real place to people watch to your heart's content. Might get a bit noisy during the summer but I reckon the views would be worth it.

If I'm honest I'd not say no to anywhere in Cala Bona or Northern end of Cala Millor (don't like the far south end towards Sa Coma as it's too German for me iykwim).

Are you looking with a view to buying or for staying in whilst on holiday? We loved the Med 2 Apts (eurohotels-direct.com) but you have to ask for 1st floor 1 bed Apt with total sea view - you get a fantastic sun terrace - railings are toughened glass and you get to watch all the comings and goings along the promeade as they are right on the front.

On our last morning there I woke just before sunrise and sat on the balcony - I could hear the waves lapping gently, all was quiet apart from the odd person strolling by, the the sun rose in the sky and I wanted to stay there like that forever and never go home! Ahhhhhhhh I wish Iwas there now! This time next year we'll be getting ready to go to the airport (going a week earlier next year)!

Only EIGHT more sleeps for us :hyper :hyper :hyper
Not long now for you Tis, have you heard how Tippi's hols went ? I thought she would have been on making us all jealous by now. I hope everything is OK.
Parqua - If you fancy an apartment in or around Cala Bona. There are some available on the Parc de Mar complex where we bought ours (infact the one next to us is for sale - I don't think we influenced it though!!!).
If you are going over walk up the road which goes back from Paulas Supermarket (cheap booze) on the front, past the bar on the corner and they are opposite Marias bar, about 100metres from the beach.
I think you could pick one up furnished for about 120k depending on the number of bedrooms needed.
Martin
sorry parqaluvva - splet your name wrong!!
Martin
Calabonagirl - yes, I've heard from Tippi - she had a great time but computer died upon return home so she is waiting for new one to be delivered which she was expecting this week. I guess as soon as she's up and running she'll be back on as I know she was suffering HT withdrawl symptoms :D

Parga - the pub Martin mentions below is the Rose & Crown which is below the Sol Y MAr Apts (near taxi rank & telephone kiosk that we use).

Does anyone know if they've opened the supermarket in the Rose & Crown again? It was all shut down last year.
Tis - it wasn't open when we were over - I think they have given it up as a bad job. We get milk etc from Paulas but Caprabo in Cala Millor is the one we tend to use unles we fancy a trip to Sa Coma. There is a Lidl now at Manacor - it produced gridlock when it opened, amazing eh?
Martin
Ta for that Martin - we tend to use the Bip/Syp for main bits and go to Eileen & Pedro's (Supermarket C'an Pedro) on Na LLambies near the Bonamar - we get their gorgeous croissants and bread buns and DH has his sarnies made up there.

Our kids love them both and we think Eileen talking fluent Spanish with a Cockney accent is an absolute killer :D
Tis
We must make a point of trying that next time. On the subject of strange accents - we used to use the Talayot quite a bit and the DJ there (Tony Pepons) married an English girl from Dudley quite a few years ago and now speaks very good English with a black country accent crossed with a Mallorcan twang - very funny, it has to be heard to be believed.
How many sleeps now?
Martin
Tis,
As you know where the California apartments are, can you tell us the nearest large supermarket where we can do a biggish shop on our arrival for essential butty making items, pop etc?

Many thanx

Mark x
Martin - only 8 more sleeps :hyper :hyper :hyper

This time next week I'll be up a height :lol:

Nice tale - bet it's a killer listening to Tony talk - I know how funny it is with Eileen but I bet that's even funnier :lol:

Have just rang our apartment owner and confirmed what time we're due to land next week - he's still got us booked in (one of the worries I have with going DIY is that we'll ring and he'll say "No booking for you"). Anyway - all is well, will ring Lionel next week and confirm he's picking us up and that's us done.

Mark - there's a big Syp in Son Severa but I reckon you'll probably find the one in Cala Millor easier to get to/from - that said, it will still be a fair hike and you'll probably require a taxi back if you're going to be fully stocked.

It's in the centre near where the horse & carriages stand and there's also a taxi rank there too. They have a fresh meat counter, plenty of English branded stuff too.

Hope that helps, Tis
Hi Tis

Got my new computer last week but haven't been able to get on it much (I'm at the back of the queue) so am taking this opportunity to tell you I'm green with envy. Got back two weeks ago, the holiday just went too fast. Everyone asks whether I get bored going back to the same place but every time I go, I make new friends. Actually went to a nightclub in Cala Ratjada with my eldest daughter and some Spanish friends this year. I always thought of Cala Ratjada as being a sleepy little resort - but its not at night!

Know what you mean about that apartment over Smithies - I've had my eye on that. If you win the lottery before me, can you invite me over to stay?...........please

Anyway you certainly look on course to have a scorching couple of weeks - it was really hot for us and the temperature has just kept rising :sun :sun :sun - have you managed to start your tan off over here?
Sorry another post. Just catching up on everything and reading through a month's worth of messages on this forum!!

Calabona girl, I see Tis explained about my computer problem. I had a really lovely time. The Moreyo was great - not too quiet but still plenty of room round the pool - no bagging a sunbed at 8.00 o'clock on a morning, waiter service round the pool, beautiful clean rooms, decent food and the showers in the rooms were perfect (all too often hotel showers are a bit disappointing). It was so sad when we left, everyone came to wave us off (hopefully not in relief :? )I don't know what the taxi driver thought - four females sat in his cab sobbing all the way to the airport.

As I said in my previous post - really envious of Tis now! :wink:
Hya Tippi :wave

Great to see you back on HT! Only SEVEN more sleeps for us :hyper :hyper :hyper (can you imagine what I'm going to be like next Saturday)?????

One of the kids woke me up with a start about 4.30am and I couldn't get back off to sleep so I 'went for a walk' along Cala Millor/Cala Bona promenade (in my head of course - I'm not that clever).

Walked from the Toursit Info place in Cala Millor, past KFC, past the Bonamar, past the small stretch of shops/restaurants where the little dog lies on the bench, past the Atolon and the Crepe stall, past Paula's supermarket, taxi rank & phone kiosk, then Burger King, past the Levante, the kiddies play area, Crazy Corner, Smithies till I got to Bar Thalassa (where the rocks used to be in the harbour) and sat and had a drink in there (quite enjoyed it as I was by myself - not somewhere I could go with the kids in tow for fear of them ending up in the harbour)!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes - I should be committed but it did the trick and I was soon in the land of nod - till the alarm went off for me to get up :cry:

Aye - if I win the lottery before you do and buy Smithies I'll invite you over - will you do the same for me? I shall take a pic of it when I'm out and stick it in the photo gallery so everyone can seewhat we're harping on about!

My tan's coming along quite nicely - I'd say I'm currently the colour that I normally come home - even my legs have changed colour!

Right best get ready and get myself to work - BOOHOO :cry: Catch up with you all later!

Tis
hi tis :wave

well only 1 more week for you and your family ! how excited are you ?????

i wonder what you will doing this time next week ? probably a nice cocktail down by the harbour !!! oh you lucky thing !!

keep the countdown going .... i did and enjoyed every day counting down it's like being a kid at chrismas !

oh well 7 more sleeps for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can just imagine sitting on you balcony claire down by the harbour it would be just nice !!! i say your balcony only because im NO millionaire tonight !!! didn't get 1 number !!!!

lou x
Hya Lou :wave

Only SIX more sleeps for us :hyper :hyper :hyper

This time next week we will have had our fresh hot from the oven bread rolls and will be down at the pool having the first swim of our holiday!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!

I didn't win the lottery last night either (blast-it) but if if my numbers come up and I get my apartment above Smithies you can come over too and we can all sit on the balcony and watch the world go by.

Off to Metro Centre today to get new camcorder (finally talked DH round) :D

Catch up with you all later.

Tis x
I have the old style license that still shows points even though the date has expired.....can this still be used for car hire?
How many points can be on the license without the car hire people being worried?

Mark
Hi Tis

Lucky you 6 more to go, 34 for us, though Im not counting yet.

Yes I think we are all getting good tans over here at the mo, still topping mine up from May, when I was last out there. Don't forget to visit the London Inn, and mention me to Dave, and don't forget to ask about the Sema apts next door.

Markas

I really don't think they are too bothered about how many points you have, just as long as you have a licence, and the readies of course. Dont know where you normally hire cars from but, there is a great place just around the corner from the Cala Bona hotel on the way to the Bip supermarket, it seems to be a small family business, nice cars, and cheap too.

Garry
hi all came back from cala millor last night had a fantastis time the resort is brilliant. A Lidl supermarket has opened there now which makes shopping for meals easy if you wish to do your own cooking not that we did as eating out is so cheap there.
The only complaint we had was with Thomson because the transfer bus broke down and instead of sending another bus we had to wait for a mechanic to come and fix the bus. It took one and a half hours and we were not to leave the bus. There was no air conditioning and it was very stuffy hard work keeping a 5 year old happy after hours of traveling.
Never mind the resort more than made up for it.
Enjoy all those yet to go
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.