Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
extremely difficult especially if you only hear it a couple of times a year, but please persevere, a few words can make all the difference on how you are seen by the locals [just another bit on holiday or a friendly traveller who shows some interest]

yasus
wizard
my favourate greek island is santorini, the scenary is outstanding. people are very nice here and cant do enough for you, go on the sunset cruise its amazing best sunsets i have ever seen, really peacefull and romantic. stayed in kamari plenty of restaurants and bars but not to noisy :) .
The reason we go to Zante is : 1 The weather
2 The friendliness of the locals
3 The excellent food available (both local and other)
4 My favourite THE BEER
5 To meet my Greek friends we have built up over the years.

I cant think of any better reasons to go to Tsilivi on Zante. It's just magical.
Been to many Greek Islands Kefalonia being our favorite always found the Greek people so friendly they make you feel at home in their Country they welcome you back not for your money just the fact you love their Country many a time in Kefalonia we have gone to a taverna to eat in the evening and when we have asked for the bill found out it has been paid for unaware to us by a Greek friend which we find very nice by somewhat embarrasing so always try and do something back, unfortunatly because of illness with my husband do not know when we will be able to return to the place we both love so much but we both have our memories
Love Rhodes so much. Been on holiday on & off for 17 years. Now retired there in May 2009.
Congratulations tpebop, may you have many years of enjoyment with your investment. Back in June, we bought a retirement property in Turkey, as soon as we've sold our property here, then we will be on our way. With them being similar in cultures, we love both Greek and Turk alike. :cheers

Les
Congratulations on taking the plunge tpebop. I like to tell myself that I'll retire to one of the Greek islands. I can't think of anything nicer but in reality I don't think I would be able to wrench myself away from my sons and any potential grandchildren I might have. I know it's not the other side of the world but it's not like we can drive over to see them every week or so.

Hope You're establishing a great life over there. Good Luck!
we have just booked 2 weeks in Kefalonia in July. We went to Rhodes (Lindos) and Symi last year and fell in love with the Greek islands - the gorgeous friendly people and the amazing food. We travel with our now 4 year old and a large part of what we loved about Rhodes was how welcome she was made to feel everywhere, I don't think we ever paid for an ice cream for her. It really puts the UK to shame where there is a real children should be seen and not heard atitude.

A big part of the holiday for us is the Greek food, I am looking forward for my first Mythos and Calamari lunch by the sea! :)
Hi Rachel - we're off to Kephalonia for the 1st time this summer too - but to Lassi in August. Having already been to Kos twice, Zakynthos twice & Santorini, we can't wait. Im really looking forward to the food as well - lamb kleftico's & beef stifado's to die for - & as hubby's just reminded me, his favourite gyros as a late night snack. Couple all this with wonderful music, soft golden sands & welcoming people & it doesn't get much better :)
Just heard on the bbc news that a deal has been sxtruck to bail out struggling euro countries. The stock markets have shot up since the announcement which sounds like very good news.

I'm no expert so I'm asking if anybody knows if this will mean more money for our euro when going to places like Greece or won't it make much difference to us as the pound is still weak. Any thoughts?
I love Greece because I love the people living in that beautiful country. I am having an internship on Chios Island and felt in love with it and people living on. They are very nice, kind people. They hug you with famous Greek hospitality. I really don have words to define it but there is something that makes you want to stay forever. I have to leave in a week and feel so sad that right now I just want to cry. But "boys dont cry". Yes, they do.

Ok here is Greece in a few words:

Greek alphabet
Greek souvlaki, tzatziki, sea food and cheese
Greek bouzouki
Greek ouzo
Beaches
Friendly, good people
Hugs and kisses on two cheeks
I love Greece and her Islands for the following reasons in order of importance.

1 Greek people so friendly, happy, helpful and in my case extremely honest
2 Greek food
3 The weather
4 Quiet sleepy resorts
5 Packed with history
6 I always feel safe on holiday there
7 No pestering
8 Bouzouki music
9 The laid back way of life
10 Never had a bad holiday there in 40 years!!! :)
I'll echo all those sentiments - just love it - enough said :rofl
We are going to kos for the 1st time and cant wait!!! I love trying the local food (kleftico and stifado sound delicious!!) and stopping off during a stroll for a drink. Roll on My holidays :sun2

Lily. x
mrsgaz wrote:
Swordfish caught and cooked locally (properly not in some tourist restaurant). Stuffed vine leaves. NOT Raki.

I love Cyprus so much, but been to Kos, Corfu, Crete and Greece itself.

I love the way that the traditional restaurants and the people are so family friendly. Been to Greece and Cyprus with my parents many a time and now that I am a parent love going there with the kids. They are always so welcome and fussed over.

[quote Hello folks
I lived in Cyprus in 1959, I was a Forces/RAF Wife I won't bore you about the trouble that was at that time not very pleasant for most of us but instead tell you, I was cultured into the Greek way of life by the Greek women

They built the houses we lived in, yes the women did!! (their husbands had gone off to other countries to make money for the family) The women made money by renting out what they had built and very good houses too, they lived in huts fully equipped for their needs, they taught me how to build a stone oven outside in the garden and the foods we cooked was scrumptious all the Greek foods you can imagine, even cows brains, a superb recipe!!

The women Stella and Georgia took me to the markets we bought whole cow or lamb or even a pig, in each visit we voted what we wanted and shared it out when we got home. the C.O. of the RAF Camp my Husband was stationed at, summoned my husband in to see him, he asked why we were living so high, we were saving so much money, there were things we had, that others could not afford. After he explained how I did it, his wife and other wives came along and learned the same way as I did, we had to dye our hair dark and get a good tan also learn the language, we were soon all on a roll, the market was "minting it" they were happy but they didn't really know we were British, money or no money, at that time, there were many Greeks and Turks that didn't much like us British, we just had to be very careful

I went to Corfu this May gone and do you know what ?? the women of Greece are still as warm and friendly as I remember; they were in those three 3years I was there before, I spoke Greek to them and the men too and had a wonderful holiday
they are still there in Cyprus as well but you have to get a few miles away from the resorts, the villages of Amachoustos or the Trudos are the best places

yasus
wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.