Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:welcome to the family howieb

I've never been in January, only around mid November to mid December and love it!

As for accomodation, that will depend entirely on what you want. I don't think that getting accomodation when you get there will be a problem as the majority feeling is that it will be much quieter this year. I'm currently looking round for accomodation for single person and have found it anywhere from £6 to £30+ ( :yikes ) a night.

Good luck and if you do go be sure to go the HT meets for a coffee or two :cheers
Hi welcome to the madhouse. Have you decided on North or south goa? Theres some nice reviews on our hotel review section. http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/holiday_truths/resort_hotels/Goa/ these may give you an idea

Depending on where you live there are some good deals to be had with a number of airlines including Qatar, kingfisher, thomas cook etc.

Hope you enjoy the forum its a great place but so adictive :D

A helpful website was goa holiday homes . com dont think we are allowed to link but google it you will find it.

anything else just ask someone will know ;)
Hello howieb,welcome to HT forums.
Pros and Cons Nov or Jan.
We stay from beginning November till around middle March ,and Think its hotter in November but less busy and January is a little cooler,but more busy.
If you plan on staying in a guest house,take a look at the guest house reviews on here,some are very small family run ,upto larger guest houses.There are hundreds of these scattered around every resort and prices will vary as to what you require and location.and how long you intend to stay there ect. from around 250/400 RPS a night to 800/1000 Rps.Im sure you will have no problem finding one in whatever location you choose,and if its in the north,visit the weekly HT meets at the Carvery every wed evening in Candolim from Nov--- April and we will see you there :tup
Howieb :cheers and welcome to the forum ..we have got a hotel in Calangute for £98 for the 2 of us for 2 weeks in March ....if you need to know more just ask .....colleen BTW the £98 is for B&B
If you opt for flight only and find digs when you are there, a point to note!!
If your flight is with a charter airline make sure to ask your agent to provide one nights accomodation on the ticket, it's usually states dormhouse.
Monarch, from Manchester especially can get really stroppy if no proof of accom is provided and i have seen people turned away from the check in desks.
Other than that no problem finding digs on arrival.
Eddie
Thanks for the replies, I'll take a deeper look tonight and will probably have some more questions. :)
Had a chat with the company I sub contract to today and they've given me the all clear for 3 weeks in November, so that's the first step.

After reading loads of old threads here, I'll probably go for North Goa as I want a bit of life as I'll be on my own but don't intend to party every night either, so somewhere in between would be good.

Plan on doing a bit of fishing out there and just relaxing realy. Sounds as though it might be best to book my first week in advance then I can suss it out when I'm there.

irishcolleen wrote:
Howieb :cheers and welcome to the forum ..we have got a hotel in Calangute for £98 for the 2 of us for 2 weeks in March ....if you need to know more just ask .....colleen BTW the £98 is for B&B

Sounds amazing, I'll have to do some more research as to which resort will suit me best but I'm happy with the replies I've had suggesting finding cheapish digs won't be a problem.

Found a flight fot £363.70 with Qatar which seems pretty good. Am I right in thinking it takes around 10days for the Visa?

One more, what jabs do you need for malaria etc?

Thankyou
Hi,

generally to pick resorts you need to decide whether you want lively and built up or quiet and secluded that will pretty much make your decision for you as to the north or south, the south being the latter. Personally I prefer the North as there is more to do.

My Mum lives in Goa and I have been more times than I can count and neither of us have ever had any jabs, if you go to the doctor they will advise you to have them but I think they may be wanting to cover themsleves should anything happen.

They do say about 10 days for a visa but I would give it longer to be on the safe side, I would send it about a month before you are due to go. You are brave getting accomodation when you get there on you're first visit but like everyone says, you should have no trouble just don't get ripped off....

Have a great time in November, i'm going back on the 18th of Jan, can't wait!!!
hi
you dont get jabs for malaria,they are tablets,malarone is best protection but most expensive(whats your life worth),jabs hepatitis and tetanus
Its definitely advisable to have the jabs.. Hepatitus B is rife in Goa and as Dragon07 syas what price your life or health come to that... we live there but still have our jabs..cant remember what else you need but your surgerys travel clinic can advise you

Im sure you will have no problem finding one in whatever location you choose,and if its in the north,visit the weekly HT meets at the Carvery every wed evening in Candolim from Nov--- April and we will see you there

Ditto... :tup
chilly ;)
I ensure I have up-to-date vaccinations for hepatitis A and typhoid (infection route, contaminated water/food) and tetanus, as well as taking anti-malarials. Check re diphtheria, poliomyelitis (if my memory serves me right, these can be combined with tetanus booster). All as advised by my GP. Unlikely you'll need hep B (see link below)
http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28east%29/india/goa.aspx

http://www.nathnac.nhs.uk/ds/c_pages/country_page_IN.htm
Hi howieb

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Goa. Please take the advice here about jabs and anti malarial protection.

The jabs are against diseases that can kill as are the malaria tablets. Much better to be Safe than sorry.
Thanks for all the help and advice, most helpful.

Still not booked anything yet though as I'm waiting on a couple of things. Will the flights stay around the £400 mark if I book nearer the time or do they go up?

Ta
hi
thats a wait and see one i have known them go up and down
:cheers we,re going for jabs today,defnatley woudn,t go without them, we booked flight only some time ago and they have gone up by £235 each. so glad we booked when we did, have since booked 1st week through travelreplic .co.uk at the colonia de braganza calangute for £58 b+b for the 2 of us, they have loads of different types of accomadtion on thier site,they are still showing the same price as when we booked,so will probably stay there for the full 3 wks, :wave: ,
Hi HowieB

Base your self in the Candolim area and you will have the best of both worlds quieter in Candolim but only a few minutes to the nightlife of Calangute and Baga, brace yourself for the way you will get messed about over here but if you are laid back you will be just fine look forward to seeing you at the meets.

I take it you are male, do you lay football as we have a team out here and we have a real good time if you dont lay come along and cheer us on and go for drinks after the game.

Mike
Yeah I do play football, or used to anyway - a bit unfit nowadays but would like to play if you're not too serious.

I still haven't booked anywhere but one of the things I plan of doing alot of out there is fishing. Doing a search on here comes up with 0 results. Do you know anything about the fishing there?

I can't book anything until late October as I'm waiting on something.

Ta,
H.
howieb wrote:
Yeah I do play football, or used to anyway - a bit unfit nowadays but would like to play if you're not too serious.
I plan of doing alot of out there is fishing. Doing a search on here comes up with 0 results. Do you know anything about the fishing there?
Ta,
H.

Think you struck lucky here howieb,Mike is the local HT Fishing Footballer on here,Sure he will sort you out :tup Just make sure you wear a hat, if out on the boat. Right Mike :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.