Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
yep come and have some bubbly.......the more the merrier
sam
Just read an article in today's Mirror about being charged for overweight baggage at Gatwick. A passenger complained to Trading Standards about the huge difference between her home scales and those at check-in. They carried out a random check of 18 other scales and found more than half were faulty. Officials found that scales were set to 5kg before any bags had been weighed on them. Staff had failed to "zero" them.
The mind boggles at how much people had been overcharged before this came to light.

Degs.

If this is in the wrong forum, mods, apologies.
Do you think It's OK to ask them to Zero them before you put your own on ? Or is there a way you can check, normally before I put mine on the digital reader thing says 000.00 but I assume that doesn't necessarily mean they ahve been 'zeroed'.
It appears that not all members of staff dealing with excess baggage are heartless. I was speaking to a friend last evening who had recently returned from Gatwick to Billund. She knew her baggage was well over weight so was not surprised when she was sent to pay the excess. She was however, surprised and delighted when the young man at the payment counter said "Oh Mrs A, this will make a big dent in your pension won't it?" before putting his finger to his lips, writing 'paid' on the back of the ticket and sending her on her way.
we're off to lanzarote in september, CHILD FREE :D :D andyway, last year i took a medium sized suitcase which was just 20kg's. But we're travelling with thomas cook this time and are only allowed 15kg's so was looking into buying a large holdall beacuse of the weight. Not too sure about it being knocked about etc as i would of thought suitcases would be more secure and rigid when things are getting thrown on top int he airport etc.

also we fly with iberworld, and their site says th ewieght is 20kg's but thomas cook only give us 15kg's... whos word do i take on the allowance?
Moved and merged into flights section.

Mark :)
hi,

from what i understand, first choice and thomson now only allow 15kg for 2009 holidays, there is a charge of £17.50 for an extra 5kg, so if you want 20kg of suitcase weight, you will need to pay the xtra..

mine was just for a "normal" holiday, so no idea if long haul or premium etxra are affected

xx
I'm off to Tunis with BA for a weekend for a wedding next month and have a full 23kg hold luggage allowance, as well as whatever hand luggage I can lift into the overhead locker myself. I don't actually need much hand luggage for a couple of days but am taking some of the wedding presents out in my hold lugggage as the bride's parents will already have full cases. Would it be best if the presents went into my case unwrapped, with wrapping paper and gift tags separately? Should I also make a list of the presents which I can show to the staff at the airport if necessary? That way I can truthfully say that I've packed the case myself and, if questioned, produce the list, so that hopefully they won't ask me to unlock the case for inspection.
I am flying to Auckland with Singapore Airlines. Does anyone know how rigid they are with baggage allowance. 20K in economy class and only 7K cabin baggage. Considering buying a bag rather than the normal trolley cabin baggage rollaway. It weighs 3K before anything is put in it. Excess baggage cost seems to be £29 per Kilo

Sue
Hello all,

This is our first trip to turkey is our first trip to Icmeler as a family and I was wondering what the general consensus is about luggage amounts. There is my partner and I and our little girl (3yrs old). Do you think that 15kgs each will be enough for 2 weeks? I don't think we will be buying much as want to spend on trips out. It is a bit rubish as they (Thomas Cook) won't let us up one luggage item it has to be everybody's. Rip off or what. So what do you say 15kgs enough or not?

Ta for advice
Ruth
20 Kg each for me, As Turkey will have to much wants for you to take home.
Would have to be 20 for me ,but i bring lots of stuff home ,15 would mean i would need to take a lot less clothes etc out with me .If you have not been in turkey before it is like a kid in a sweet shop, especially at first .

Bluepeterno1
Its all a matter of taste really 15kg would do for me. I thought that most of the clothes stuff on the markets was rubbish, one morning out of the 14 days was enough for me. A bit of a laugh but nothing more. IMHO as always.
Agree with Doepsmc, but each to their own.
If you love shopping on holiday (which we don't) 15kg would be completely inadequate.
Some people seem to be able to manage fine with 15kg, but if you tend to take all your favourite toiletries, suntan lotions, medical supplies etc., I think you'll struggle as these are the things that make up the weight.
Most people seem to be buying their toiletries airside now to cut down on the weight.
A brilliant way to save the 5kg as toiletries are one of the heaviest items. There is no way I will be paying it with 4 of us travelling.

The Boots at Gatwick does a roaring trade thanks to all these new fanggled 15k luggage allowances.

I reckon by next year it will be the industry standard. :(
As i have said on this topic many times before ,each to their own ,all depends on what you class as rubbish.
Bluepeterno1
Can you not pay extra before you go as most airlines do and its alot cheaper than checking in and finding your overweight as they charge approx £6 per kg.

Jo
I reckon by next year it will be the industry standard

The two main travel companies and their associated airlines will have 15kg standard allowance from Summer 2009. TCX offers it at the moment, FCA (TOM) from MAy 2009.

Most offer to increase standard allowance from 15-20kg for a charge, TCX is currently £15 return on short haul.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.