Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I was just wondering about the luggage malarky... as i understand it, im allowed to take 15kilos in suitcases, my question is this, as there are four of us going do we all have to take our own case, or can we take 2 cases with 30kilos in... or will i be charged for excess weight?

No

If you are flying with ryanair you would be def charged, i've seen so many people charged for this, and it does state this in the terms and conditons.

Most flight companies, will not let you pool luggage and i personally wouldn't to be on the safe side.

all 4 of you take your own cases, it's not hard now a days to pull cases, and do not go over your weight as you will be charged.

and enjoy your holiday
Hi
Myself, Husband, and our son age 6 are going to Lanzorote in July, so
I rang Thomas cook airline today,
Thought it would be easier to ring airline direct.
i told them that we had 15kg each allowance, as that we have two big family suitcases that we wanted to use, and did not want take 3 smaller cases,and told them ,
that , both cases would come in around 19kg - 20kg each
and they confirmed that this would be fine

I asked if this would be called , pooling or combing the luggage allowance, and they confimred again that this was.
They then told me saying that we would be ok with two family cases, as long as BOTH... do not exceed 30kgs each
I asked, them then jokingly that they wouldnt go and changed there minds when i get to check in at Gatwick
, again nice helpful person
confimed all would be ok.
So it does show, each airline is different,and its prob best to to ring direct to airline, to check their rules.
So worry over
my neice has a daughter shes 5 weeks old now.. and they want to come to cyprus with us in august staying at my parents house with us, she will be 3months old then but just wondering because she dont have a seat on the plane will she still be aloud luggage ? or will it have to go in with her mums ? because thinking about milk and all the other things she needs it all adds up..
Thanks
CourtneeLouise x
Afraid to say but there will be no lugage allowance for the infant - you're all just going to have to find space in the adults's cases and within their luggage allowance for all her clobber apart from probably a buggy.

SM
Sma is correct. No luggage allowance for infants and they don't have a seat. Mum or dads knee.
The only way around this is to purchase an extra seat which I have known folks to do just to get the luggage allowance.

Louby
thanks for that :)
i think what were going to do is im going out 13august - 3rd september with my daughters and neice , and then my other neice and the baby is going to come out in the middle week, so if we all took something in our cases and she took some things it should be ok :)

Thanks again
CourtneeLouise x
weve always managed with my daughter spreading things out while she was under 2! loving luxury havin her own baggage allowance this time x
Sorry
Im sure this answer is somewhere in this thread, I have had a quick look but cant see it!
So what I wanted to know was
My mum is coming away with us and needs her cuppa as soon as we get there
so
can we take teabags and powdered milk in her HOLD luggage?

Thanks in advance
This excessive baggage charge is one thing that really makes me angry and whilst I can appreciate that a limit has to be placed on luggage for various reasons, otherwise some people will take everything bar the kitchen sink on holiday, I do think it has become a money making racket.

I flew with Thomson to Alicante in March and I've just returned from Malaga on Sunday night, and Thomson were cashing in the excess baggage charges, left, right and centre.
What you have to do now, is place all your luggage on the belt (including hand luggage) for it all to be calculated together, so if anybody has ideas about loading up their hand luggage because it might not be weighed"¦forget it.!

You have to beat these people at their own game and if it means ditching a few clothes and toiletries (which you can buy as cheaply in some resorts as the UK) to avoid incurring charges, or it means you have to wear the same pair of trousers three times during the fortnight instead of twice, then so be it.
The world won't stop turning or your holiday be ruined by stretching out the clothes further than you would like to do, but I'd rather walk around in rags for 2 weeks than pay €10 for every 1 kilogram excess baggage to the likes of Thomson"¦.purely on principle.

Our cases weigh 4 kg each empty and I usually bring back 10 packets of cigs, the hubby does the same and 4 cartons of cigs weigh 1 kilogram, so 20 cartons will weigh 5 kilograms"¦therefore we always make sure we are at least 6 kilograms underweight on the outbound journey and if possible a few kilograms more in case we buy some goodies"¦the normal holiday stuff that you see in the resorts which takes your fancy.

I don't know about other TO's, but Thomson are like flies around a cow pat, dishing out the €10 for every kilogram excess penalty, so be warned. ;)

sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Im going away with Thomas Cook in 3 weeks and have the same concerns. Im allowed 15 kg but not sure what the cases are empty. It means I will have to really cut back going out to carry more coming back. Not sure what Thomas cook charge for excess baggage. Can you buy throw away paper shorts I wonder :D
Dee,

TCX, along with some other charter airlines have had a 15kg allowance for a while now. There's a thread concerneing this, and how to cope here. As Brian suggested on the other thread you posted, refer to the Thomas Cook thread for more information. You can pre-book extra allowance (see TCX's website). Excess baggage is charged at £6 per kg for short / mid haul flights, £8 per kg on long haul flights.

Darren
Ooo where did you find the information on the excess baggage charges? I've just hunted all over the TC site and couldn't find it.

luci :wave
Luci,

From memory! The charges are a little hidden on their website under sports equipment (bottom of the page) so not the most obvious place.

Darren
Thanks for that, I would never have thought of looking under Sporting Equipment!

Useful to know as we are flying with them in November and I suspect again at New Year although that booking is with Direct Holidays so I'm assuming the charges will be the same on both.

luci :wave
My daughter wants to buy her boyfriend an ornamental knife, or at least one with a carved handle or similar when we are on holiday in Crete. Is it permissable to put this sort of thing in our hold luggage cases when we return.

Thanks
itus7,

I wouldn't want to risk it if I was honest. I can understand her wanting to get something special from abroad, but transporting knifes / blades through airports is not to be taken lightly. I got pulled by security in March with diving cameras and it's a right palava explaining things and emptying suitcases while they search. The Cilvil Aviation Authority's line is yes, knives can be transported in HOLD luggage but it's a security matter for the Department for Transport and airline approval is likely to be required for larger items. The DfT don't list knives or other pointed items as restricted items for hold luggage. For more information, refer to the Hold Luggage thread.

Darren
  • Edited by David 2008-07-01 15:38:49
    Today's posts now merged with Hold Luggage Q&As topic
and dont forget to poses a knife with a blade longer than 100mm [in public] is an offence
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.