Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I think it's just an 'added extra' to get more money out of you to be honest. Margins are getting tighter by the year so it's just another way of charging more without having to show it on the price of the holiday. As soon as one company introduces something, the rest tend to follow. I had a 46kg allowance on my last holiday (only used 33kg of it though!) and I'm going to Turkey in Sept with Thomas Cook (reluctantly as they are the only ones to offer the hotel we wanted) so we had little option but to pay the extra £15. It's not clothing I struggle with, it's diving equipment.

Darren
Margins are getting tighter
don't follow you with that one Darren.. with the recent mergers and subsequent the reduction in the number of flights and rooms available nearly all the holidays i have looked at this year are at least 22% dearer than last year [ i know the exchange rate doesn't help but these prices were fixed before the falling pound] most of the tour operators make a healthy profit [yes i can name a few who got it wrong] but I'm with you the baggage allowance reduction is just another way to screw the holidaymaker [ oh the hardship .. only one swimsuit/bikini only 3 pr shoes not 14 only 3 evening outfits instead of 14 and thats just for a week] as for extra activities it will soon be cheaper for you to hire than take your own kit..

Brian
I think I will just stick to the 15kgs. The only thing I want to bring back is a nice sparkly ring, which I will be wearing of course!!

Ruth
We've always been allowed 20 kgs with the companies we've booked with, but I think we'd struggle with just 15 to be honest. We always leave the toiletries and unused sun creams for the maid so we've got room for the new things we've bought.
Hi all,

Sorry for the short notice, hope someone can help (rather than phone the extortionate number!) Off to Vancouver tomorrow with TCX, I know my allowance is 30k (premium) but does anyone know if I can take two smaller cases at 15kg each or does it have to be one case?

Cheers :tup

Lee
I am almost sure as it is Transatlantic you can take 2 cases

Sue
I think I'll be flying BA to Tunis in future rather than charter into Monastir. 23kg of hold luggage plus up to 23kg of hand luggage as long as the latter is OK for size and you can lift it into the overhead locker yourself. Just hope that they don't manage to lose it of course. :roll:
plus up to 23kg of hand luggage as long as the latter is OK for size and you can lift it into the overhead locker yourself.

:really
Who on earth can lift 23kgs above their head?
And unless you're exporting bricks, how can you fit 23kgs of weight into the maximum hand luggage dimensions? :que
I wouldn't want 23kg of cabin luggage falling on my head when the compartments are opened and I certainly wouldn't be able to lift it up there either!

Pippa
Of course no-one but an absolute idiot would want to take 23 kg hand luggage. The point is however that I won't have to panic about being a couple of kilos over the normal 5 kg (or 10 kg in the case of Ryanair). :roll:
Of course no-one but an absolute idiot would want to take 23 kg hand luggage.

This obviously doesn't apply to you, Aslemma, but I'm sure there will be a few 'absolute idiots' who will try to take an excessive weight of hand luggage 'just because the limit is 23kgs'.
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can take two cases if you have an allowance of 30k with thomas cook, rather thank one of 30k i would prefer to take two lighter cases.

Any info would be appreciated.

zx6r
Just a quick check please, flying out with Thomascookairlines on Tuesday to Majorca, I presume its still OK to pack electrical stuff (phone charger, MP3 charger, plugs) in the hold luggage?
Hi
Im travelling with my husband and son with thomas cook to lanzaote in july. we each have a baggage allowance of 15kgs each
i heard that you may be able to conbine all our allowance together giving us 45kg in total ( wont really need that much lol ), but id like to use just to suitcases. each with about 20kgs in each
does any one know if this will be ok
denise f,

Refer to the Thomas Cook thread. I beleve pooling of luggage is no longer permitted.

Darren
I was just wondering about the luggage malarky... as i understand it, im allowed to take 15kilos in suitcases, my question is this, as there are four of us going do we all have to take our own case, or can we take 2 cases with 30kilos in... or will i be charged for excess weight?
There are restrictions for baggage handlers who cannot lift more than 30kgs per item.

Soif there are are 4 of you, play it safe and pack your items over 3 cases, or use smaller ones to stop your contents moving around
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.