Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We went shopping yesterday to get some bits for upset tummies my niece works for thomson's we book the holiday at her shop and I asked her if she could try and swap it for us but they would not let her they told her the same as they are tell every one else just hoping its not to bad.

Shell (Gavin's wife)
We are due to go to this resort on 9th October. I have e-mailed First Choice for their comments on medical problems and will let you know if I get any reply. Don't know if there is any point in asking to transfer the holiday. Really fancied the Holiday Village as I travel on my own with a 10 year old who loves company of other kids just a bit worried about the current situation there.
Just been reading Trip Advisor reviews re the sicky bugs going around at the HV. However, although I wish the people who were very ill a speedy recovery and agree there can be nothing worse in that heat on holiday I do get the feel that alot of people are now jumping on the bandwagon because of some greedy solicitor in Manchester trying to boost his business by promising compensation. THere are the people who have genuinely been affected and I hope you can mangage to squeeze something from FC (good luck) but many others seem to be catching on to the ever increasing 'british claims culture' which is only distorting the figures at the moment of just how many people genuinely affected!

According to some reviews the problem is not at all as bad as some people are saying so if you are going soon I wouldnt worry too much.

Scooby
Hi Shell/Gav the reviews just keep getting worse don't they. My husband goes mad with me for reading them but I'd rather be prepared!! We've got 2 weeks yet fingers crossed some of the problems will be sorted by then.
It's a nightmare for us because we originally booked for HV in Egypt, and cancelled because of this very problem. At the time all the reviews for Turkey were good, so we swapped!! Now the reviews for Egypt are fab!!!! Typical!
Still not heard from First Choice either!!
hi everyone, we returned back from the hv on the 5th sept after a lovely two week holiday with hubby and 6 kids. myself, hubby and 15 yr old were poorly in the 1st week but not as bad as some of the people we heard about, we stayed in the jacuzzi suites on the palace side(blue) and spent most of the time round the little pool right outside our room and had a great time and met some great people.
i really dont think the "bug" is food related as my other children ate lots of different foods and werent ill, the hygine is very good and the day we left they were spraying evryones hands with antibactrial spray as entering food hall which is good idea.
i dont think people were drinking enough water which is very important in that heat but i do believe that it is a bug that is being passed around but that is just my opinion, go prepared but have a great time, we did.
visit the pancake lady she is lovely and makes yummy pancakes!!!
any questions feel free to ask
:cheers
We returned on the 07.09.08 and stayed on the blue side in the junior jacuzzi suites and also spent a lot of time round the little pool near the room.

The place has great facilities and staff, its well kept and looks lovely, had it not been for the events of our last day I would have given it a 9/10.

My 3 year old son has been confirmed with Salmonella, the EHO that came to our house said due to the timescales it could only have bee caught from within the hotel. Its salmonella enteritidis (the egg and chicken one) so do not believe all of what FC are saying as we believed them when they said it was a virus. If you are going just be aware and go there and have a great time armed with as much info on food and pool hygiene as possible.

Good luck
Hi thedonz

We would appreciate it if you could post a review of the hotel for the benefit of other holidaymakers.

luci :wave
Yes 10 pound stirling per person. They dont seem to like one twenty per two people for some reason. There is a sticky at the top of the forum with detail and comment. :)
Hi Shel/Gav, there a few better reviews on TA now thank goodness. Hopefully they are sorting out any problems they have there.
We fly from Cardiff myself husband and 2 boys 9 + 6 who are soooo excited, my 9 year old has had his case packed for 2 weeks!!
Still no reply from First Choice!!! surprise surprise!
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/environment/Holiday-bug-left-child-hospital/article-332563-detail/article.html

** Edit - To replace link which wasn't working. There's no guarantee that this one will be in the same place as they may move it. luci HT Mod **
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2008-09-17 18:33:12
    To replace dead link
Spoke to travel agent today about the sickness concerns. Apparently First Choice are aware of the problem and have got in extra cleaners, and are taking extra precautions to stop the virus spreading. They have said it's not salmonella, it's an air bourne virus. Too late to change the booking but if we're ill we can see the doctor free of charge!! That's reassuring!!! :yikes
What a laugh, a typical FC cop out to avoid damage limitation. Dont forget they have a very effective legal department who will drag you from pillar to post if you have problems and try to take them on. I'm not a doctor however i'm yet to witness any of my family, friends or aqauaintances who have had an upset stomach from an airborne virus!!!!
We are off to the Holiday Villiage in Sarigerme on Thurs 25th Sep (less than a week). I wondered what chance we would have of keeping a room on at the end of the holiday. First Choice offered us one but i am pretty sure it would be cheaper to book through the hotel? Is this the case?

Hopefully the bug that has been flying around is now gone - anyone got any updates?

Thanks Emma.
We booked this hotel in june for next august and since then the reviews have got worse and worse.
I'm not one to take to much notice of bad reviews as long as there are a few good ones but even im worried now.Looked on the internet for alternatives with first choice but they are all at least a thousand more than ive paid so we will just hope for the best.
Hi we go on the 29th of September and have read that its £54 to keep your room on which we will do with having 3 little ones it to long to be without a room for 10 hours.
Gav
Thanks Gav, cant remember what First Choice quoted us? We wont be leaving the hotel until about 2am...and we will be kicked out that morning so 12 hours without a room would be anightmare plus we are taking an 11 yr and 16 yr old! I wouldnt mind a little bit of kip :tup

Cheers
Hiya Gav/Emmah1404.

I heard today the floors around the pool areas are extremely slippery and the lady I was speaking to said her friend has just come back with a broken collar bone from a fall!!! Good news though she didn't get diahorrea!!!! :yikes

Gonna try and get some rubber swim socks for my boys and hope they keep them on, have you ever tried telling a very ecxited 6 year old not to run!

I'm hoping by the time we get there and all the ill people have gone home it may not be such a problem for us.

Hello ndshelton.

I would sit tight for a while if I were you. We originally booked for the Red Sea HV and went through this very same thing in July. I panicked as you do, and changed to Turkey and guess what, Reviews are now Fabulous for Red Sea and are abysmal for Turkey, typical!!! :cry

I will write you a very honest review when I get back on 14th Oct.
Hi Dolly,

Thanks for that! 11 & 16 year old should be easier to tell not to run...but yes i see your dilema with a 6 year old.

The reprots on other sites seem to be getting better - so i am starting to look forward to it a bit more now. Was dreading it, which is bad cause we paid a lot of money for this holiday and my sisters are so looking forward to it, why did it seem like such a good idea to take them on hol for thier xmas present? :D

My way of lookign at the reviews - there are 3500 people there per week (every other week?) and only a few posts, so the people who have been affected want to write soemthing bad yet the people who had a great time don't tend to bother! Soem good ones are popping up now...i am goign to have another scout today!

Anyone know what the weather is like end of the week and next week?

Cheers
Emma
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.