Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
hi mummykins, the beach at punta prima is nice not the biggest and it doesnt seem to get overcrowed,however im not really a beach person so i only passed ,people we met went to binnibeca beach which is meant to be fantastic{i will go this year!} and there is a little train which goes there from hotel i think it was about 8 euros,the bus that goes to punta prima from hotel is free.In punta prima itself there is not, a lot couple of shops ,cafes, one thing about the beach be aware of jellyfish! somepeople got stung last year,though there is a flag system in place about how likely jellyfish are present.Regarding kids club my daughter never went[SHE IS 11}wasnt cool!!!! but it did seem popular and i never heard anybody complain.The kids entertainers are fab and your kids will love them, they are non stop. There is loads going on, that was one of the reasons we didnt venture out too much as long as you are prepared to join in.Hope this has been helpful.
Hi everyone, it's so nice to be reading this thread again!

We went to Sur Menorca last year & loved it. I've spent the last few weeks getting very fed up trying to find a holiday online, but everything has been so expensive, or just not right! We are a family of 5 so its hard to get anywhere.

However, after an afternoon in the travel agents yesterday, we have decided to go back to Sur Menorca this July. But we can't get a room for 5, so it's 2 separate family rooms. Does anyone have any experience of having to book 2 rooms? Do they put you near/next to each other?

We went middle of June last year and it was starting to get busy so I am slightly concerned as to how busy July will be. But at the end of the day, we will be on hols so no need to rush!
hi,we went last year first 2 weeks in august and it was very busy but organised!this year last week july
I'm either looking at July 10th or 17th, I expect both will be busy. How hot is it in July? It reached low 30's when we left end of June last year.
i expect mid 30,s as first 2 weeks in august last year was thereabouts...bliss :tup
That sounds lovely!

Well I've been and booked it now. Got July 10th, unfortunately its 2 family rooms, but we have requested to be next to each other - although I know its not always possible.
Hi again - just wondered what happens with the kids club? Do you have to register the night before for a place or is it a drop in club. Also, is it split into age groups or just one club for all ages? Thanks again.
hi, i think you registar at the start of hol and when the kids club is on, an announcement gets made and the kids turn up at the stage area if they are interested in that activity.Not sure about how groups are split, i think! what happens all depends on how many turn up and what age variation,if there are alot and ages differ i think they get another rep to help.
Thanks Jockchris - you have been really helpful. I haven't booked yet - still undecided . What is putting me off is the fact that going at the end of June, the hotel may be mega busy. There have been comments about long queues because there are no self-service drinks. Also we probably we wouldn't be able to get a lounger close to the pool to supervise the kids and looking at the pictures on You Tube, the sunbeds are crammed in like sardines. I am also a bit concerned about paying for ice creams and water - most AI's include these. What with the Euro/Pound going down the drain, every penny counts!

I am between this one, the San Eloy in Tossa de Mar [ fab reviews] and the San Miguel in Ibiza- but it has its fare share of nightmare tales.

This is our first holiday abroad and what to get it right for the kids sake.
I stayed there for the last 2 weeks in June last year. Our second week was definately busier and I have to admit I am slightly concerned how busy it will be in July this year! However, there is always the courtesy bus to the beach, which we will be using if the pool is too busy!
The sunbeds are close together. But I found it so friendly here last year, unlike a lot of places where I have stayed and people don't really speak to you! We got to know lots of people.
The ice cream is in small tubs, which are available at meal times as AI, I will pay for the odd ice cream, but my kids won't be having them all the time this year! I think it was mentioned that AI ice cream was stopped due to a greedy family last year.
Overall I love this hotel, and I loved Menorca, which is why I was so desperate to get back. Even if it's too busy, you could just use the hotel as a base.
i went last year 1st 2 weeks in august and it is busy but family friendly,queues do form for bar but the staff are very efficient sometimes 4/5 working at bar,sunbeds are close but at the top end of the complex there is another pool which is very quiet and suitable for tots,the last person was correct about the ice-cream, the usual ,all it takes is one person to spoil it for everybody.Im going back this year and all i can say is you wont be disappointed if you decide to go, before i went last year i was apprehensive and asked questions on this forum
Oh dear! I don't know what to do. This will be our first holiday abroad and the kids are so excited but they are used to UK holidays were they are on the go all day. What is putting me off is that you can't walk anywhere at night - quite fancy an after dinner stroll. Also, it has been mentioned that the entertainment is a bit iffy and the food also. This may be our one and only hol abroad [credit crunch and all that] so I want to get it right. It would be nice to be able to walk to some pubs with outside play areas for them. I think my eldest will get bored as he isn't the mini disco type!

Am torn between this and the Marina Delfin Verde in Alcudia which has brilliant reviews consistently and is close to some biz and a great beach.

Will need to make my mind up soon.

Thanks for your comments folks!
Not sure where you heard the entertainment is iffy!! Its great! Theres lots to join in with, and they work really hard! There was different shows on at night (the parrot show is the biggest let down but thats about it) and during the day there is the kids club and activites for adults such as archery, water polo etc.

It sounds as if you have kind of made your mind up, if you are having that many doubts I would book somewhere else, esp as its your first holiday abroad. Good luck deciding!
dont think kids will get bored,there are plenty of them and all seem to play and mix well.I found the food to be of a decent standard,hot and always getting replenished,i think also this place represents good value.
Mummykins - have been following your posts...haven't been to Sur Menorca myself so can't comment on it. Just wondering if you've considered Cala'n Bosch...perhaps a bit more going on there, but not rowdy by any means, and it has a lovely marina to stroll around in the evenings. Also a couple of playparks for the kids. I'm assuming you want AI, maybe the hotel Cala'n Bosch would suit, it's right on the beach and only a couple of mins walk from the marina for your after dinner stroll. Menorca is a beautiful island :)
Hi Nic - thanks for your reply! Looked at the Cala N'Bosch hotel but the kids would have to top and tail so it wouldn't work out.

Think I will go with the Marina Verde in Alcudia - not that I have anything against the Sur Menorca - I just think that we would enjoy being in a more central location especially for our first time abroad :)
That's a shame, but I agree that the children top n tailing isn't great, I know my 2 wouldn't be impressed! I'm sure you'll have a fab time wherever you decide.
Mummykiss
We have stayed at the Sur Menorca though quite a few years ago now. Had a really enjoyable holiday but it is true that the hotel is rather isolated. There is hardly anything round about. The courtesy bus takes you to the beach in Punta Prima or it is about a 10 minute stroll if you prefer to walk. Just nearby the beach you can catch the bus into Mahon which is worth a visit.
Theres lets of organised activities in the hotel if you are interested but our granddaughters at the time were happier to be on the beach with buckets and spades.. They are a little more grown up now tho and need somewehere livelier.

I think you mentioned Puerto San Miguel where we have also stayed. This is another fairly quiet resort and you would need to take 2 buses to get into Ibiza town. It sounds as though you may be swaying to Alcudia and I think this would probably be the liveliest
and best best for you and the family judging by comments in your posts.

Good luck with your choice wherever it may be!
Mummykiss

Sorry I have just read previous posts and didnt realise your children were so young. Perhaps the Sur Menorca would be fine if the kids are happy to go into the mini clubs etc! That would give you a little break.

It is nice though to have a promenade to stroll along or just to sit having a drink and people watching.

Decisions decisions!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.