Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
4 months to our return, and counting.

We'll shorten the wait by going to Benidorm for a week at lunchtime today to get away from this blasted snow.

Now, where did I put those darn passports - I know we had them when we got back from Disneyland Paris on December 24th.

Credit crunch, what credit crunch?

;)
By the way, does anyone know what dates the Crazy Golf in Punta Prima opens in Summer 2009?

We were there June 8th to June 22nd in 2008 but it wasnt open then.

We return on June 11th 2009 for 2 weeks and our son loves playing - anyone help ?
By the way, does anyone know what dates the Crazy Golf in Punta Prima opens in Summer 2009?

We were there June 8th to June 22nd in 2008 but it wasnt open then.

We return on June 11th 2009 for 2 weeks and our son loves playing - anyone help ?
Hi

We have booked a holiday to hotel sur menorca 19th august for 2 weeks. We have not been before and we are really looking forward to it.

Taking 2 children aged 5 years and 20 months when we go.

We have booked with Thomson and have been given a family room.
Does anyone know what the family room is like and if it is the hotel or the bungalow area, I have not booked a cot either as was going to take a travel cot but thought we would prefer not to as will have enough to carry!

Just hoping the room will be big enough.

Any info would be apprieciated

Thanks

Jo
Hi there,

We were there last year and got to know quite a few families.

Three families spring to mind in similar circumstances to you.

The first family from Blackpool had a room in the hotel with 2 single beds (for Mum n Dad) and a sofa bed for the two girls (aged 14 & 5).

A family from Burnley had 1 adult and 3 kids aged between 5 & 10 - they had the above too

However, a family from Sheffiled had 2 sons (aged 5 & 2) - Hello to Sam & Jake's Mum n Dad if you read this!

They had a bungalow complete with all mod cons.

I do think they did pay extra for this though.

I would hazard a guess that the bungalows cost 35/40% more than the typical room (which can be quite cosy!) so suspect that you would pay around £1800 (?) for the 4 of you (assuming a poss free child place or two) for AI for 2 weeks in the hotel part or as much as £2500 for a bungalow.

Although it may be worth asking the travel agent to double check before you travel, you will probably be asked to stump up the difference for the bigger accomodation.

I recall seeing cots at the hotel so am sure this will be provided anyhow - it may cut fown on the floor space but at the end of the day, you dont go on hols to sit in your room for hours!

Hope this helps.
Hi Abe

Thanks for your reply, I think we will probably just be in the hotel part then as we got quite a good deal.
I booked it online with first choice and got a free place for my daughter and my son was free as he is under 2 cost £1584 for 2 weeks AI in August, I booked it last year as I thought it was good price.

I am sure I will have some questions for you when you return if thats ok.

Have a great time :sun2

Jo
No worries Jo.

10 days and counting .....
We (2 adults 2 kids) had a 'junior suite' when we went in 07. This had a double room and a very large twin room. Each had a seperate access to the balcony. The sitting room had a fridge in it. We did not pay extra for this, we were upgraded on arrival for whatever reason. The views from this accomodation was lovely.
Thanks for that - I may ask when we arrive on the basis that "if you don't ask, you don't get!".

:tup
Hiya

Abe, have a brilliant time - I will be interested to hear how it goes, as it's our second visit (in 5 weeks time and counting!)

I'm still worrying about the 2 seperate rooms there, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade.

I really can't wait to go back, and our kids are really excited.
Hi Rach,

Its a strange feeling really.

Yes, I look forward to my summer hols but despite this being my 40th foreign holiday, I am looking forward to my return to Sur Menorca more than any other holiday I have been on before - and that includes trips to Osaka, Brisbane, Sydney, The Caribbean, Tokyo, The Gambia, Jerusalem and all the "usual" summertime hotspots throughout Europe.

Every morning, our son comes into our bedroom to tell us how many days to before we travel.

I've no doubt it will be like Christmas Day next Friday when he walks in our bedroom around 3am even though we only need to set off for the airport around 8am!

If anything has changed, I'll report back after June 27th.
Hi Abe

I know what you mean. This is the only time we have been back to the same place twice. We spent so long looking elsewhere then decided to just go back. At least we know what to expect, where things are etc. My kids still remember all the holiday songs so will be up dancing on the first night!

Will be interesting to see if all the same people are there - Yohan & Reike were meant to be leaving at the end of last season.
Abe, if you are around - I hope you had a great return to the Sur Menorca!!

Any info greatly appreciated, has it changed much from last year? We go next Friday! Can't wait! :cheers
Hi Rach,

Where do I start?

Firstly, I must confess to you now that I e-mailed the hotel directly 3 weeks before our holiday to merely ask for a pool facing room in a room numbered 37 or above (as those in 1 to 36 were unbelievably hot (last year) from 2pm onwards as they face the sun, and the a/c and black out curtains could not negate the oppresive heat), and the hotel kindly upgraded us to Room 37 on the 2nd floor which was ajunior suite with a seperate bedroom, en-suite with bath, 2 sinks and most importantly a refrigerator!

On the down side, and without wishing to sound overly snobbish, the hotel is now 95% occupied by Brits (last year was probably about 65%) most of which bring their dysfunctional throng of multi-tattooed, foul-languaged 6 yr old kids with multi-piercings. Indeed, there were 2 Liverpudlian "guests" in attendance during our holiday that had their mobiles pinned to their ears for the whole week whilst taking calls from their "clients" whilst going on to describe what bedroom entertainment they would like to provide - I guess the takings from these calls funded their holiday!

The sun-bed circus was worse than last year - so much so that the beds are now locked up until 8.45am so dont get up too early as no orderly queues are formed when the beds eventually become unchained as the mad rush starts!

Similarly, many chairs near the stage are "reserved" with towels for people to get a better view of the nights activities.

The entertainment team consisted of 3 pretty faces this year and the 25% drop in team numbers certainly impacted the amount of activities during the day. Indeed, one of the 3, Sammy, got sacked whilst we were there and his replacement only reported for duty on the day of our departure - I doubt whether she could be much worse as Sammy continually maintained his love for a return to San Antonio! The kids club has been scrapped too.

Whereas in 2008 the kids disco tended to take place on either the tennis court or the sun terrace, this years effort was squoze into the small area in front of the stage. I have no doubt you already know the perils of this.

Our son loved the song "I'm Peter" last year but this wasnt played as it would have meant the team would have had to make effort in forming a line of kids to travel away from the stage and this would require a bit of effort!

The volleyball court has had most of the sand blown from it so concrete is exposed and the court is hardly used in case of injury.

The football court has inherited the sand making it impossible for people to play football upon as they continually slip and silde when attempting any sports.

The new lifeguard will not allow anything bigger than a small rubber ring in the main pool.

There is only an ice-cream/lolly dispenser this year (prices vary between 1.5 & 2 Euros) so no free ice cream during day.

On the plus side, there is no queues for the snack bar as they merely open the restaurant and have a buffet style snack area instead.

The queues for the bar often reached the 5th pillar along the walkway so you could be waiting for 20 minutes ot be served - even in the daytime.

All in all, it would seem the hotel is still full of guests but understaffed. We saw many guests voicing their anger at the hotel manager.

If I think of anything to add before you depart, I will add later.

Hope I havent spoiled your anticipation!

PS: The kids disco has only 5 of last years tunes with 3 or 4 new ones for you to learn!
Hi Abe

Oh dear!! I have to say, I am slightly concerned after reading your post, and I take it you enjoyed last years visit more?!!

I have a few questions, I would appreciate any info!!

Firstly, when you emailed the hotel, did you get a reply? I have emailed twice and got no reply. How many does a junior suite sleep? We have 2 family rooms at the moment. Did they upgrade you for free?

With regards to the 'alternative' guests...they will always be about!!

I'm gutted there is no kids club, I will be checking the brochure for details!!

Was it a mad rush to get the sunbeds once they were unlocked? Do people line up & wait??!!!

Ridiculous idea about the disco being in front of the stage, it will be so crammed and I expect night times will be a real pain to get a seat.

How hot was it?!!! I'm already checking sites for weather!!

Does the curtesy bus still run to the beach?

Are there many activites during the day?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am slightly worried, we've spent alot of money to return here & i don't want to be too disappointed! I know things change, but I'm just concerned!!
Hi Rach,

In response, I would advise that the upgrade was a surprise as I did not receive a reply to my mail. We did not pay for this upgrade.

The only day that the sunbeds were locked up was the day we left at noon so can only report what I saw on the single day regarding the sunbeds. I would describe it as chaotic but orderly. People tended to occupy their prefrred territory with towels, bags etc then bring the sunbdes to these spots!

It was quite hot when we there, especially the first week but the 2nd week was only like the UK in the last few days.

The courtesy bus does still run but only starts at 10.30am (was 9.30 prior to June 13th).

The number of activities during the day is much less than last year so our son tended to join in with te adult programme where appropriate. At 10.30 each day (apart from Saturday when the team have the day off) its aerobics!
The team, then tended to alternatve football/water polo for adults in the afternoon. I'd give it a week if i was you to assess then maybe venture further afield.

You'll be fine - i guess my expectations were akin to 2008.
Thanks Abe.

We are planning to get out more this year, we didn't do alot last year! I'm also planning on going to the beach more. I remember last year was crazy with people getting up at silly times for sunbeds. It may be a good thing they are locked up then!

Oh well, this time next week I will be there so can find it all out then!!!
hi both abe and rach,ive read comments from abe and it sounds like this year isnt going to be as much fun as last year,i go on 31st of july and to honest i wish i chose somewhere else {not because of abes comments!!} as i feel the 2nd time anywhere always feels like anti-climax,can you report back rach what you think ,thanks
I would add that there are a couple of places well worth a visit (as well as the beach).

You may recall that the Barcelo was under construction last year (the one on the corner when the courtesy bus heads down the hill into Punta Prima). As well as a greater number of beds they have a lovely pool - the downside is having to buy a drink I suppose.

In addition, the mini-golf is now open and has the mini water park for toddlers (about 100 yards walk up the hill from the bus stop).

I'm sure you will have fun!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.