Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We often think we should try somewhere else despite loving Goa and going back every year.

This will just make us check out other options like Thailand, Cambodia etc. I'm not rushing to judgment on where we'll end up because the pull of Goa is very strong but there's a steady drip, drip of discouraging news coming from Goa.

It's very sad and will undoubtedly deter new people. :(
I was one of the lucky ones who spotted the thread on TA about the increase. We booked our flights a couple of months ago but as we were not going until March was pretty relaxed about the visa.

Until yesterday when I quickly abandoned plans to watch the UTD Liverpool game and spent my Sunday afternoon online.

As lots of others have said this will put lots of people off Goa.

As if the sunbed, rubbish, visa, shack nonsense was not enough as well as the rigmarole to actually obtain a visa was not enough now we have a massive increase to deal with.

Last year we got caught up in the dry days due to the election and next year with a general election things will be much worse.

Many will vote with their wallets and their feet very possibly us too.

The thing we have to understand is it is their country and therefore their rules.

However it is almost impossible to imagine any government interested in bringing tourists to their country operating quite such a less tourist friendly policy.

You could easily become paranoid and think certain government and tourist officials really do not want us Brits there.

Many of us will miss Goa but it is not the only place for a winter holiday.

Papa
Just noticed this on VFS website - applies to applications taken in to MANCHESTER, CARDIFF & GLASGOW:

Date of Notice: 11 January 2013.
The High Commission of India has revised the visa fee for Tourist Visa and Research Visa for all UK nationals with effect from 17 January 2013.
The revised visa fee is applicable from 16 January 2012 onwards at this office due to the transit time. Applicants can submit the applications with the existing visa fee until 16 January 2012 at all offices in London, Birmingham and Edinburgh

So anyone thinking of applying to those places you need to get your application in TODAY!
On my to post ours today. Hope we make the deadline!!
Gail
Gail
hope you've made a note of your reference number on your RMSDE - that should prove it was delivered in time to qualify for the old rate (assuming RM are on the ball) and assuming that everything is OK with your application.
Thanks I'll make sure I take a note of it. On my way to post it now.
Gail
Prettypollycat wrote:
Just noticed this on VFS website - applies to applications taken in to MANCHESTER, CARDIFF & GLASGOW:

Date of Notice: 11 January 2013.
The High Commission of India has revised the visa fee for Tourist Visa and Research Visa for all UK nationals with effect from 17 January 2013.
The revised visa fee is applicable from 16 January 2012 onwards at this office due to the transit time. Applicants can submit the applications with the existing visa fee until 16 January 2012 at all offices in London, Birmingham and Edinburgh

So anyone thinking of applying to those places you need to get your application in TODAY!

That statement says 2012 and should read 2013.
I have been trying to persuade SWMBO to try somewhere different next year as, much as I enjoy Goa, there are so many other places to see.
Whilst the increase in itself will not stop us going it will strengthen my argument for having a change and possibly SWMBO will take the hump and say "gollocks to goa" or words to that effect.(hopefully ;) )

Roma is quite correct in claiming that the constant drip,drip, drip of negativities etc are having an effect.

In general though I agree with Pollycat, rather than seeing the visa cost as an extra, build it into the total price for the holiday and simply consider it an upfront payment.
Certainly it MUST have an effect on newbies, seeing that before they discover the benefits of goa is enough to put them off.

It also seems a strange thing to do now, as I was reading the other day that tourist numbers from ALL countries have been down this year especially over the Xmas period, with the government claiming this was due to hoteliers maintaining their premium prices and scaring customers off.
The government then does this!
The government then does this!

Agree Del. When people all around the world will be watching with horror at the fate of the poor Indian girl who was gang raped on a bus, and then seen the utterly inept and cackhanded way the police deal with these things, you would think that the government would try to present a more hospitable face to potential visitors.

But hey, this is India! People discouraged from visiting? Okay, let's double the cost of visas!

We leave for Goa next week and I'm sure, as usual, we'll love it. But next year? We may well end up there again but we'll have a much better look at alternatives first.
May see you there Roma, we go next Sunday.
Staying at alexandras, beach rd candolim
It is a big increase but at least we have plenty of notice about it having already had our holiday this year. It won't stop us going back though, although as single people it won't be such an expense for us. Have noticed that Vietnam have also increased the price of their visas.
I told the wife , who I thought would throw a wobbly but no such luck.
She is still keen on going next year
Will do my best to be there every year, but every increase by whatever amount has to be found somewhere. Another factor is the rate being so high - will it maintain that level ? Has averaged around 73rps - £1 since we 1st visited, 2 years ago we got the lowest @ 65rps - £1
good point Spike.
good rates this year but if prices etc go up and the rates go down then it becomes less viable.
Have just got our passports back with Visas but where in previous years we have had a photo on the lefthand side and a stamp on the right,these have photo onright and where the stamp would be there is a sort of stamped photo,but there is no actual High commission stamp is this OK?
Yeah that's fine they are all like that this year. Have a great holiday
thanks,always have to check everything,another change i hadn't heard about.Phew!

Can really start looking forward to it now 7weeks tomorrow
This news is so so sad im afraid that is the end for me in goa have loved the last 5 holidays there but enough is enough going to gambia this year and cambodia or thailand next year
We made the 16th Jan deadline and looks like our visas are processed and ready for posting back. :D
Happy days!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.