Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dave
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
DaveWales wrote:
Despite rumours to the contrary, the 60 day rule is still alive and well according to the web site and anyone who ignores it does so at their peril.

AFAIK, the 60 day rule has been abolished for UK visitors.
From VFS website:

Re-entry into India within the 2 month restriction for tourist visas

This is for information that restriction of TWO months gap between two visits has been removed by the Government of India from 4th Dec 2012.

There was something (I'm not sure if that is still on the website somewhere) about certain nationalities having to seek permission but that doesn't apply to us Brits.

I've read on another website of people returning within the 60 days and having no trouble at Immigration at all.

Re the increase, I've read that an Indian visa for a British citizen has increased in price because the UK Govt put the cost of a visa for Indian visitors up.
Tit-for-tat = we holidaymakers are victims of politics.
My apologies for misleading information.

Further inspection of the fine detail reveals you are absolutely right about the 60 day rule.It was withdrawn as from the 4th December 2012.Thanks for the correction Prettypollycat.

I still think that a cost in excess of £200 is more than I want to pay purely for the right to visit. Your explanation of a tit for tat measure doesn't surprise me one bit.Looking at the UK Visa for an Indian national it's just as big.
Presumably to discourage people from coming over here then disappearing ?

Anyway, from a UK tourist's point of view, to make this more economic you need to stay in excess of 2 weeks or visit twice IMO.The good news is you can now take advantage of any last minute deals again !

From a purely personal point of view I'm glad I have been to Goa, done that got the Goan tshirts too.In a way all this hassle of applying for VISA's, the restrictions, now the cost has persuaded me to look elsewhere and find alternative winter sun.

I'll miss the people, the weather, the superb restaurants in North Goa particularly but I won't miss the Russians, the garbage,Baga and Calangute beaches,applying for VISA's and the way you are treated at Diabolical airport, especially when you have a 3.00am departure.

Pastures new here we come !
DaveWales wrote:

Pastures new here we come !

You won't be alone, Dave, lots of like-minded people saying the same.

I think this time may be our last for a while too, but not because of the visa prices.
We've been twice a year for quite a few years and think it might just be time for a change.

This time next year is election time and after experiencing it first-hand last year there's no way we'd want to be there.

We like to use our visa twice so maybe we'll also be looking elsewhere for November too.

I think it will be a pretty big shock for Goa small businesses such as shacks, bars, shops and restaurants who have been murmuring about poor trade for a while now.
I agree with PPC totally. With inflation, had the price gone up gradually over the years, the Visa cost would be the same as it is now. It just seems a lot because it stayed the same for so long.
We are using the Visa twice this season, and go on a bargain late deal with First Choice next month, after going first to Baga with Thompson in December.
This may be our last visit to Goa, who Knows? Fancy Vietnam/Cambodia for next season.
I can see UK tourists dwindling away from Goa over the next year or two, and an increase in those from countries who easily gain entry.
My son and his wife have just had a month in Thailand, and it too is full of the previously mentioned tourists, who appear to manage to rub everyone up the wrong way. They have taken over Egyptian and Turkish resorts too. Funny, but you rarely see them in couples, happily strolling along quietly do you, or sitting after a meal just watching the world go by? I wonder why?
Be careful what you wish for, Indian government. You may just get it.
OMG - £92.90 for a visa, per person, Goa was suggested as a winter destination this year, after seeing the cost of a visa, and we only have 2 weeks, there's no way I'd pay that fee. I don't object to visa charges, but that price is madness.

Thought Goa may be the solution for our winter holiday, now where else is there........
I've just completed the on line visa app and have the correct photos ready. I know i need to paste one into the space at top right corner of form but do i need to sign as well as attach the other? Also am i right in thinking that the declaration form no longer has to be signed and sent, since this is now included at the bottom of the visa app form. I want to get it right because i know they'll send it back otherwise. Cheers
We just attached the second one to the back of the form but we did send the Declaration Form too, better safe than sorry. Have a great holiday.
I have to agree with the above - we have been to India (Goa) 3 times in the past 4 years and booked to go to Kerala thinking the visa costs would still be about £40!! ha ha yeh right, as you say £92 per person -family of four, over £360 & postage etc. its a Joke! - I love India, but this will be the last visit for a while unless the cost is reduced or abolished. Its also the principle (and the hassle too!!) if other countries (Sri Lanka) for instance can give you a visa free on entry - then India should too. - I have even mailed the Indian Consulate to pass on my comments (constructively!!) - blimey i must be getting old and moaney!! ;) :D - lets hope the indian govenment see sense and sort this out.
Further to the discussion about the 2 month rule:

We were picking up tickets at the Olympic Holidays desk at Manchester 10th Feb and a number of couples were having problems with Thomas Cook check-in.

Apparently, they had gone to check-in but were told the 2 month rule had been reinstated wef 4th Feb and they couldn't fly as they didn't comply with Indian immigration rules. :shock:

TC had a notice from IATA with this 'information' on but the people (and I) thought that TC has misinterpreted the IATA notice.
I read it (even though it didn't apply to us, luckily) and they'd highlighted the 2 month rule but it then went on to mention certain nationalities (Pakistani, Bangladeshi etc) that I think may still be subject to the 2 month rule.

Spoke to them for a while and they were all insistent that they were right and there was no 2 month rule anymore (at least for us Brits) but they were having a hard time convincing Olympic of that.
The TC helpdesk wouldn't deal with them as they'd booked through Olympic even though the flight was with TC.
They were very worried and frustrated but were trying to keep calm and plead their case. :banghead:
We felt really sorry for them.

Saw one of the couples in Departures and they'd had a scary 90 minutes thinking that their holiday had gone up in smoke before somebody had the sense to check and decide that they were right and the IATA notice HAD been misinterpreted by TC.

Olympic even told them that if they agreed to sign a disclaimer that they (personally) would foot any fine imposed on Thomas Cook, they could fly! £3.5K fine per passenger was mentioned, I think.

They also said that that the Olympic representative had told them that she'd already dealt with one woman earlier that morning and she'd taken their word that she couldn't fly and had gone home!
I wonder if there were any more people affected.

I saw the same couple at Dabolim waiting for their luggage and they had no trouble at all coming through immigration.

How can TC have got it so wrong?
OMG! Perhaps you should post this on a thread of its own to warn others. That is dreadful
TBH Fiona, I think it was just a blip on that particular day, probably only with Thomas Cook and probably only with Manchester flights.

If it had been something that TC insisted they were right about, it would have impacted on other later flights - this was almost 4 weeks ago.

I was curious why IATA had suddenly deemed it necessary to send something out dated 4th Feb 2013 when the 2 month rule had been lifted on 4th December.(and remains lifted). The notice was a bit gobbledy gook.
Where had they got their information from?

It reminded me of a few years ago when Manchester Monarch check-in staff were insisting on people having accommodation vouchers.
They turned a number of people away when we were checking in.

Again, only Manchester and only Monarch. People flying with Monarch from Gatwick the same day weren't asked to show accommodation details.

You would think (and expect) check-in staff supervisors to be more on-the-ball with stuff that can have so much impact.

I was pleased for the people who managed to get on the flight (eventually), I wonder how many people were turned away and if they are even aware that they were denied carriage because of Thomas Cook's cock-up
hello
wondered if somecan can answer this,
our visas run out on april 21st,and we are thinking of having a late minute trip to india,will we be ok to fly out of india the day before our visa runs out
many thanks
cartman
you'll be fine as your visa will still be valid.
Hi All

Will be going through the visa process soon. Does anyone know if there has been any major changes since last year

thanks

bob
I was having a little bet with myself about when visa issues would show up this season! :D
I haven't heard of any changes definately but did read something earlier in the yeart about the processors being changed from VFI but haven't heard anything since then so I am guessing it is the same as last year.
Hi Just filled in my visa online form printed it out then found i had made a small spelling mistake
do you know if it will be a problem, or do i fill out a new visa form,
welshguy wrote:
Hi Just filled in my visa online form printed it out then found i had made a small spelling mistake

I think it depends how small the spelling mistake was and what the word was welshguy.?
welshguy wrote:

I would just alter the form before sending it off, maybe attach a note explaining the mistake
I wouldn't take a chance, I would redo it. Don't give them any excuse.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.