Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Depends where you go in Sharm, Naama Bay and Ras Um Sidd are pretty much big hotels and beaches. There are one or two cultural type things to see, such as the Beduoin camps in the desert (how real they are I dont know), and St.Catherines Monestry, Moses Mountain/ Mount Sinai, the coloured canyon. And you can get excursions to luxor and cairo.
As for being bothered, yes it does happen and its very irritating if you just want to relax, but thats all part of the culture. I have never been to Tunisia so I cant really compare but from what I understand the 'hassle' is the same. If you want somewhere in Egypt without hassle try El Gouna, though the cultural/historic things are less available and many people comment that you dont get the experience of 'real' egypt in el gouna.
Hope this helps! :D
I guess, you just have to deal with people bothering you, but my problem is i'm sucker and i'm easily manipulated by these sort of people!!

By the way it's not that I have a problem with palace style hotels and golden sand beaches!!
Port El Kantoui is sanitised in my opinion, compared to Sousse.
Hammamet is well spread out... with lovely beaches.

Sharm is purpose built at teh bottom of the country on the coast, but its done with style.

There are mountains all the way along, behind the sea. Sharm was a bedouin area, so you need to be up in the north of Egypt for historical sites. You can travel easily. Have you looked at a map?

Egypt is much nicer in my opinion, but if you just want sun and a beach, j8ust go to Tunisia... it's cheaper and shorter flight time.
Thanks Perfume,

Just out of interest how long is the flight to egypt? I want a mix of beaches and history, reviews of egypt seem to be better than those of Tunisia, why is picking a holiday such a hard task :( :lol:
I flew to Sharm from Gatwick at the end of July last year, the flight lasted about five hours.

Pippy :D
Thanks again Pippy,

You seem to be answering all my queries on the different boards at the moment :D

That's not too bad, did you enjoy your holiday in Sharm Pippy?
Oh it was without a doubt the best holiday I've ever had!
See my hotel review from August '05 HERE. :D

We wanted a relaxing holiday and a fantastic beach..........we got it!

There were various excursions we could have gone on, we only went to Ras Mohammed (day trip, boat, lots of snorkelling, lunch) and just went into Naama Bay once for a meal.
This wasn't because we didn't like the area, we're just not particularly interested in shops and night life (I'm a boring old bag on holiday!), chilling out was our aim :wink:

We found the Egyptian staff in our hotel absolutely delightful, couldn't have wished to meet a more hospitable group of people.

Sounds really nice, thanks for that Pippy :D !! Was the Conrad expensive?
Absolutely not! Not when we booked anyway.

Have a look at the first couple of pages of THIS TOPIC, I think we paid about £550 per person, that was for two weeks A/I in high season! We did book very early though, more than a year before we travelled.

If you're interested in booking the Conrad, have a look at either http://www.eclipsedirect.co.uk or http://www.firstchoice.co.uk (same company but eclipse sometimes cheaper).

There are some photographs of the hotel and grounds in the Conrad album, Sharm section of the Egypt photo gallery.

That's not too bad at all, most hotels in egypt look like palaces!!

We were looking at the Baron Hotel it's quite out of the way, but it's a very cheap 5 star hotel!!

Hmmm i'm very interested in Sharm now, now to convince the partner, she is a bit worried about the bombings as two people from Hereford (our local area) died, just got to convince her that unfortunately this is a common occurence nowadays + she also doesnt like purpose built resorts!!

What sort of temperature would it be around the second of July??

Thanks for all the help so far!! :D :D
The Baron hotel is right next door to the Conrad but the beach at the Conrad is nicer. I think there is a new Baron hotel being built but I don't know where it is.

We travelled to Sharm just a few days after the terrorist attacks, we were nervous, in fact my Mum very nearly pulled out and it was only because the eclipse phone lines were closed when she rang to cancel that she still came with us..............how glad she was too! :D

When we went (28th July) the temps were into the 40c's.
Have a look HERE, you can look at historical weather information for any month.

Yeah I think the Baron I was looking at was finished on the 25th septembet 2005, so it is a very new hotel!!

It does sound very nice and thankyou for all the help you've been great :D

How purpose built is it, my girlfriend hates spain because it is just for english tourists and she definately doesn't want that!!

Do you know the name of the hotel where the attacks went on??
If i decided to stay at sharm is there any chance I could see any of the real egypt for example pyramids and stuff?
The resort of Sharm is 100% purpose built for tourism, this doesn't mean however that it's an unpleasant destination :D

Naama Bay is the main shopping/restaurant area and there are plenty of hotels there. Sharm is spread out across several miles, apart from Naama Bay itself, the rest of the resort comprises of hotels.

Alot of people we spoke to when we were out there said the Conrad has the best beach in the resort.

One of the hotels involved in the attacks was the Ghazala Gardens, I think it's being rebuilt. The other was the nearby Movenpick.

I'd return to Sharm and the Conrad tomorrow if I could!

Thanks for all the help, I'm not to bothered about the whole tourist thing, anyone got any tips on how I can convince my girlfriend to go?? :D
Also what sort of things can we do out there? Like things to see? Places to go?

Sorry to ask a million questions but Just want to choose the right place :D
anyone got any tips on how I can convince my girlfriend to go?

Yes, show her the photos of the Conrad beach.... who could resist THIS? :wink:
Or how about a view LIKE THIS?

Or a sunrise as beautiful as THIS?

Yep granted that that sunset :wow

I bet she still won't be convicned though :shock:

Thanks for all the info, i'll work on her!!
Sunrise...6.15am :wink: :D
The Coral Sea Resort also has some good reviews, it's a bit further away from Naama Bay though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.